Yoshi

Flying a helicopter

I fly Apaches!! Hind's, Blackhawks... ya ya I know it's just a game. But man does it take ALOT of practice. At least I don't take the chance of serious injury or death flying mine :P

Helo guide to flying it's takes some serious skill to fly those things. Even in a game.

Does anyone know of an authentic set of helicopter flight controls available for sims? I haven't looked lately, but I've never seen one.

mh

"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

I have been taking flight lessons in a helicopter.

VERY FUCKING COOL.
Also very expensive about 230.00 an hour.

But very fun and way cool.

I have been told the allouette is one of the easier helos to fly. The rotor turns clockwise which is a little different, but the weight of the blades makes it less touchy as say a Robbie 22

Attached is a pic of the Robbie I am flying.

I have a Fixed wing rating already and have flown Acro before...But Ihave to say a Helicopter is the coolest/hardest thing I have flown...I am looking forward to my Xcountry which will be to the DZ.;)

No you may not jump it.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I fly Apaches!! Hind's, Blackhawks... ya ya I know it's just a game. But man does it take ALOT of practice. At least I don't take the chance of serious injury or death flying mine :P

Helo guide to flying it's takes some serious skill to fly those things. Even in a game.

Does anyone know of an authentic set of helicopter flight controls available for sims? I haven't looked lately, but I've never seen one.

mh

Controls as in the input (joystick, foot rudders etc..) or as in the way the helo reacts when being flown? I have to say the BF mod I play the helo's are freakin hard to control :ph34r: because they were coded to real life physics.

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

Not even close.The only thing thats similar is the color and the fuel.

actually it is extremely close... same looks almost to a "T" and interior...etc.. I am jsut not sure if the pic I put up was made in the same year as the one I flew... but whatever..

:)_

-y

I flew a Robinson R22 about 18 months ago. Second best thing I've ever done in the air. I had 2 two hour sessions where I was allowed to fly around using the stick at 2k. I also got to try the hover. After quite a few attempts I managed to get to a point where I was able to keep it in a fairly stable spot using the stick, but as soon as she said "OK, let's see if you can do it now with the rudder pedals as well" I went all over the place like a drunken squirrel.

As a finale she flipped and twisted the thing around like a pro to show what you could do after hours and hours of lessons. Great stuff. B|

I advise anyone to give it a go.:)

Lu-"let the beast beware"-cy

isnt it amazing how little movement on the controls it takes to get the bird to move? I felt like the entire time I was flying it was more like skydiving than flying a plane... in a plane, once everything is trimmed out you pretty much dnt have to do anything... In the heli I felt it was an extention of my body and had the full range of motion, being able to move in any direction imaginable... cool stuff.

-y

isnt it amazing how little movement on the controls it takes to get the bird to move? I felt like the entire time I was flying it was more like skydiving than flying a plane... in a plane, once everything is trimmed out you pretty much dnt have to do anything... In the heli I felt it was an extention of my body and had the full range of motion, being able to move in any direction imaginable... cool stuff.

Get an hour in an Areobatic plane like an Extra....WOW.

But yes a heli is awesome....I do a Xcountry tomorrow if the WX is good.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

isnt it amazing how little movement on the controls it takes to get the bird to move?

Yeah, when I did a helicopter lesson in an R-22, the instructor cautioned me that it isn't like a plane. You don't move the controls, you just apply pressure in the direction you want to go.

Most of the people I work with are former or current military helicopter pilots. I was just talking to someone today who trained in TH-55s (Schweizer 269s). Not only do you have the cyclic, collective, and pedals to worry about, but you also need to control the throttle with the twist grip on the collective. So any time you change the collective setting, you need to change the power setting too... and of course the pedals. That's a lot to think about.

I'm still trying to figure out how to get a ride in a helicopter at work. Only managed a tiny bit of time in the comanche simulators. Now that thing was touchy!

Dave

I was just talking to someone today who trained in TH-55s (Schweizer 269s). Not only do you have the cyclic, collective, and pedals to worry about, but you also need to control the throttle with the twist grip on the collective. So any time you change the collective setting, you need to change the power setting too... and of course the pedals.

Never flew the Schweizer 269, but flew the Hughes 300, which, reportedly is the same aircraft but Hughes sold the plans to Schweizer later. It did have a throttle, but it also had a mechanical governor. If you tried to add too much fuel, the governor would reduce the fuel flow until the Nr was back within limits. Of course it did it faster than you could react on the pedals, so the nose would rapidly traverse about 30 degrees and back. It was exciting. That's what the old Viet Nam pilots learned in and there were some great stories coming from them, bombing runs, landing on water tanks, stealing your buddies helo when he went to pee, buzzing cars... As one told me, "What were they going to do to me, send me to Viet Nam?"

When we transitioned to the Huey it was like a Cadillac. What did we know?
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

that is great...the story of stealing your buddis heli while they are in the bathroom anyways.. I would love to hear more pilot/heli pilot stories along those lines from those of you that were in the military if you care to share... that stuff intrigues me.

-y

quote:.........That's what the old Viet Nam pilots learned in and there were some great stories coming from them, bombing runs, landing on water tanks, stealing your buddies helo when he went to pee, buzzing cars... As one told me, "What were they going to do to me, send me to Viet Nam?" .....

----------------------------------------------------------

Do really believe this??? Most of us were teenagers or in our early 20's with a super cool toy. Why would we fool around like that?:D We were quite professional;)
GW685,D3888,C5052,SCS843