dalemeyer

Slider for Katana 170

Hi folks...

was hoping someone could point me in the direction of slider specifications for a Katana 170...
was curious about a detachable slider and then also a regular one...

any help would be greatly appreciated...
thanks
dale
Take it easy... and if you get it easy, take it TWICE!

Hi Dale,
There was quite a bit of homework that went into getting the larger Katanas to open well. Thats one of the items that went into the additional time it took to release them. If you had seen some of the designs that were tried on the road to what finally worked, you probably would have been quite suprised. When the R&D was done, the Katana's size 135, 150, and 170 ended up with a dome shapped slider with mesh panels. Standard channel sliders will not povide you a favorable opening. Thats something you may want to consider prior to any slider experiments. But I'd strongly reconsider those experiments if I were you.
There have been folks who have used aftermarket removables on the smaller size KA's(<120sq ft) with reasonable results, but the standard slider is a traditional rectangle shape with those.

Blue Ones,
Al
Watch out for planters.

was curious about a detachable slider and then also a regular one...

I am interested to know why anyone would want a detachable slider on a 170sq/ft canopy?
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

Standard channel sliders ...

Al, what is this "channel slider" that you speak of? Another name for some other type of slider? Something with a different design than the ones with names with which we are familiar? I have not heard that name used.

the channel slider is what is on most sport canopies today the channels are what the drawstrings are housed in to collapse the slider. Nothing fancy, most people call them collapsable sliders. On the line trim charts, you'll see them called channel sliders.
Watch out for planters.

the slider tucked behind my head prevents me from looking up to a certain extent... i can barely see the rear of the canopy as the slider restricts my movement...

that would be it really...
Take it easy... and if you get it easy, take it TWICE!

I have two Katana canopies. My 170 slider is very different than the 120 slider, as Al said.

I had the "first generation" slider that had mesh that, well, self destructed too soon. I saw they changed the mesh early on and ordered some of the raw material. In rebuilding the slider (a project I have yet to complete, so maybe I should as PD for a slider ;-) ), I discovered, as Al posted, that the shape is far from square.

If you want to make a removable slider, you better start off with a non-removable one and modify it or build to the same specs.

Removable sliders can be a pain in the butt. I jumped a friends rig with one and thought, "this sucks" for someone who is not a swooper.

Talk to some people about ways to hold the slider out of the way of your vision after collapsing it. I have seen about 20 ways that work well, some hold it high, some hold it low, one of the ways will keep it out of your vision.