a63jmt300

MIRAGE G4 and skyhook w/ cypress2?

stupid question but I gotta ask:

i'm considering a mirage G4 over the vector 3m due to the nice military discount, but I want the skyhook and a cypress. is the skyhook compatible with the mirage? i'm only asking this b/c i've never seen a skyhook.

Also is the rigging difficult of the skyhook system? lastly, how does the skyhook interact with the AAD if at all?..... i don't think the AAD has anything to do with the cypress

please advise

thanks.

>Will all this fit with a PD210 main and a PD reserve 190?

PD does not make a 190 reserve. I assume you mean a 193. The Mirage M6 will fit both of them well with an AAD, but it is a rather large rig overall. However, unless you're a very small person, the fit shouldn't be a problem.

>Also is the rigging difficult of the skyhook system?

1) Mirage will not offer a Skyhook. They'll offer something somewhat similar to the UPT Skyhook system. I don't think it is available yet.

2) Packing a Skyhook is a bit more complex than packing a rig without it but not unbearably so. There's just more to do. (Which means more opportunities to make mistakes, but it's not like it's assembling a watch or anything.)

> how does the skyhook interact with the AAD if at all?

There are some very unusual cases where there may be some interactions between a skyhook and a two-out scenario, which worst case can result in an unexpected cutaway at low altitudes. This is very rare, however, and as far as I know is only suspected in one incident so far.

>i don't think the AAD has anything to do with the cypress

The AAD _is_ the cypres.

Mirage is working on their skyhook system called the Mirage DRX. I have asked a bunch of people about putting the regular skyhook in my G3 and all seem to say hell no.

Riggers correct me if Im wrong:
The skyhook and Cypres dont interact with each other any more than a rig would work without an rsl. The cypres cuts the closing loop and bypasses the DRX, the DRX pulls the pin and uses the main that you cut away as a big pilot chute for the reserve.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I want to thank everyone for their responses.

I'm going with the G4, PD Pulse 210, PD Reserve 193, and a cypress2.

i'll wait until the DRX comes out. Hopefully its a simple install and compatible with everything they make.

I'm 6'2 and I weigh 200 pounds so I think i'll do well with the G4.

thanks again guys

You may want to consider how long are you willing to wait on the DRX. Mirage was advertising it was "About to be released" back in the June of 08 Parachutist. Its been a full year since they started advertising for it's release and it still is not available yet. If you wait on the DRX you might be waiting for a while...
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I want to thank everyone for their responses.

I'm going with the G4, PD Pulse 210, PD Reserve 193, and a cypress2.

i'll wait until the DRX comes out. Hopefully its a simple install and compatible with everything they make.

I'm 6'2 and I weigh 200 pounds so I think i'll do well with the G4.

thanks again guys

Looks like you made some great gear choices...enjoy!

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

In addition to what they're saying, just be aware that the DRX *may* not be available for retrofit on Mirage rigs built before it is released.

I have no particular basis for saying that - it's just been my experience with more than one gear manufacturer that some 'extras' require modifications that make it impossible to change it up after the fact (or at least, difficult enough that they choose not to do it).

Bottom line is, if the DRX is a deal-breaker for you, consult with Mirage about it before pulling the trigger on the rig. Don't assume the DRX will work with your current rig when it finally comes out - it might not.
Signatures are the new black.

well, what do u think about the vector 3m? it seems they are leading the way with the skyhook and magnetic riser covers.

how does the vector 3m compare to the mirage G4?

As a rig, I love the Vector. I fly a Micron. I HATED their older riser covers, but the magnetic riser covers have solved that problem.

But Mirages are great rigs, too. And I know the discount doesn't hurt - that's why I recommended you talk to them to be sure a retrofit will be possible before you buy one.

As a new jumper, you'll find soon enough that most modern rigs are great pieces of equipment. Vector, Mirage, Talon, Javelin, Wings...the list goes on. Everyone will offer you different opinions on which one is their favorite (usually the type they fly), and generally all have good reasons why they like it. It's good to talk to people at your DZ about it.

Personally, I always advise students to go used for their first rig. You can do a search and find all the reasons why, but basically, a rig for someone just off student status is often a 'stepping stone' rig. You're trying to figure out what you're into, what equipment you need for that...and you also will likely want to downsize at some point in the near future.

Buying used allows you to do all that, and to resell it for close to what you paid for it after you put a couple hundred jumps on it. A new rig is somewhat like buying a new car - it loses value the moment you purchase it.
Signatures are the new black.

Used main and reserve I can't agree with you more, but a custom rig tailored to me is worth the extra money in my opinion. Every rig that I have used on student status isn't bad, but is certainly uncomfortable. The inside of my thighs hurt after 3 or 4 jumps in one day. Everyone from the DZ tells me it is from a rig that doesn't fit me properly.

As far as downsizing, i'm not into it. I am perfectly happy flying a 210-230 sq/ft. canopy as I enjoy the flight after the fall. I see everyone doing crazy hook turns to burn off altitude in the sole purpose to get to the ground faster..... and they are missing out on the flight itself. At $25 a jump, I want to be in the air as long as possible.

I do appreciate the USED rig talk, but the only thing new that i feel is vital is the harness/container. I feel the custom fit is everything to me.

I don't want to go any smaller than a 190 as I weigh 200 lbs so i'm sure a rig tailored to a 210 main will fit a 190 and might be able to squeeze a 230 depending on fabric... we'll just see..

There are some very unusual cases where there may be some interactions between a skyhook and a two-out scenario, which worst case can result in an unexpected cutaway at low altitudes. This is very rare, however, and as far as I know is only suspected in one incident so far.

I assume that you're talking about this product improvement and the NC incident it refers to.

it seems they are leading the way with the skyhook and magnetic riser covers.

Don't assume that new technology is necessarily better. Don't get me wrong - I love my Vector 3 including it's magnetic riser covers and skyhook RSL and UPT make some great gear and they are responsible for a number of innovations and firsts but there are pros and cons with everything. However, as an example with magnetic riser covers:

• When a competing manufacturer was asked if they have any plans to add magnetic riser covers, he chuckled and suggested that there would have been no need for magnets in the first place if UPT could design a decent tuck-tab. Maybe they are better than UPT's tuck tab design, but maybe other manufacturers have a better tuck tab design to begin with.

• Magnetic riser covers are closed differently than tuck tabs on a Vector 3. I've seen one very experienced packer closing magnetic riser covers as though they were tuck tabs. As a result, the closing force from the magnets would have been perhaps one-half to one-third of what it should have been. New technology can be improperly used if people are not aware of the differences to what they were used to.

• Again, don't get me wrong. I love UPT gear and the skyhook was a big part of my buying decision, but don't discount the continuous improvements from other manufacturers just because their improvements are less visible in the market.

Don't assume that new technology is necessarily better. Don't get me wrong - I love my Vector 3 including it's magnetic riser covers and skyhook RSL and UPT make some great gear and they are responsible for a number of innovations and firsts but there are pros and cons with everything. However, as an example with magnetic riser covers:

# When a competing manufacturer was asked if they have any plans to add magnetic riser covers, he chuckled and suggested that there would have been no need for magnets in the first place if UPT could design a decent tuck-tab. Maybe they are better than UPT's tuck tab design, but maybe other manufacturers have a better tuck tab design to begin with.

I have a new micron with the new (babylon mod) magnetic riser covers. they are flawless. you would have to be trying really hard to make a problem out of them.

The 'other' manufactuer would be kicking themselves that they did not think of it. All tuck tabs are susceptable to damage and therefore improper function.

New technology can be improperly used if people are not aware of the differences to what they were used to.

That is called natural selection.
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix