belot64f

Taking gear as carry on

I'm flying this weekend on an ERJ-145 Regional Jet this weekend, and want to know if my gear will fit in the overhead bin in a duffel bag or gear bag (i have a duffel bag) or just regular "free" rig without a bag under the seat in front of me. Its a Vector 3 V353 for a Sabre2 190....so its a little on the larger side than most "advanced" rigs. Please let me know. Thanks

I would bring a gear bag with you because there is a good chance you will be required to check your bag at the gate. I wouldn't want to check my rig if it's not protected in a bag.

I fly on the ERJ's frequently and there is not a lot of over head space. I can barely fit my computer bag in the overhead and I know my rig is bigger. Also if your on the left side of the plane, where it's a single seat, there is not much room underneath the seat. So try to get a seat on the right side.

I've had good luck flying with my rig so far. I generally carry just my rig, and have found that it usually fits in the overhead, even on the smaller regional jet type planes. If not in the overhead I ask the flight attendant if they can put it in their closet (just make sure they don't try to get it out for you). Once I explain what it is, I have never had one refuse to put it in their closet for me. I don't carry it in a gear bag because they will try to make you "valet" check it, and there's no way I'm checking a several thousand dollar rig to baggage handlers to throw around or leave out in the rain, they can have my laptop before they get my rig.
Thomas Crowe, NRP
Nationally Registered Paramedic
Red Hat Linux Geek

there's no way I'm checking a several thousand dollar rig to baggage handlers to throw around or leave out in the rain,

That is easy to say, but the TSA can easily require you to open both the main and reserve, they can require you to take the canopies out of the d-bag also. They can also tell you you're not taking it as carry on just because they don't want to without having to explain themselves to you at all. Plus, as I've described before, we are better off to not have whuffos know what we are carrying.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Pretty much zero chance of getting a rig into an ERJ-145 cabin... MAYBE under the seat if it's a really small rig.

I always pack my rig into a standard size rollaboard, and at worst I can have them put it under the airplane once I get to the gate.

This minimizes the time it's out of your control. I've got about 750,000 airline miles and have had my bags lost at LEAST two dozen times, but I've never had one lost that I personally carried to the correct airplane myself.

(knock on wood)

That is easy to say, but the TSA can easily require you to open both the main and reserve, they can require you to take the canopies out of the d-bag also.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Generally, carrying a copy of the TSA's own published policies clear up any confusion with the local TSA personnel
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1147.shtm

To quote
"If security officers need to further search your bag, they will make every effort search it without out opening the chute.

If a chute is opened, you can assist. Security officers will search the chute away from the checkpoint so that they have enough space for the search and for you to repack your the rig."

So sure they could in theory make you open your main, but the reserve, in my opinion, is much less likely. After all it has a tamper evident seal showing that it was sealed by an FAA certificated rigger, and hasn't been opened since.

Of course TSA has their fair share of a$$holes that just want to give someone a hard time because they can, but in my experience those are the exception and not the rule. But YMMV depending on where you are travelling.
Thomas Crowe, NRP
Nationally Registered Paramedic
Red Hat Linux Geek

That is easy to say, but the TSA can easily require you to open both the main and reserve, they can require you to take the canopies out of the d-bag also.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Generally, carrying a copy of the TSA's own published policies clear up any confusion with the local TSA personnel
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1147.shtm

To quote
"If security officers need to further search your bag, they will make every effort search it without out opening the chute.

If a chute is opened, you can assist. Security officers will search the chute away from the checkpoint so that they have enough space for the search and for you to repack your the rig."

So sure they could in theory make you open your main, but the reserve, in my opinion, is much less likely. After all it has a tamper evident seal showing that it was sealed by an FAA certificated rigger, and hasn't been opened since.

Of course TSA has their fair share of a$$holes that just want to give someone a hard time because they can, but in my experience those are the exception and not the rule. But YMMV depending on where you are travelling.

As you say, generally having a copy of the TSA policy should be enough, but I had an incident where it wasn't. The TSA guy claimed the policy was outdated, but of course wouldn't show me the new policy - they don't have to, they can decide whatever they want for each situation. He was going to make me open the main and reserve completely. I didn't do anything to attract this level of attention. My main point is that having a gear bag is a good back-up, and that we should keep our rigs out of sight (in a bag) so that nervous whuffos don't cause the TSA to want to revoke the policy completely.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

After all it has a tamper evident seal showing that it was sealed by an FAA certificated rigger, and hasn't been opened since..

Your might have but not everyones.. Mine doesn't , for example.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

I flew out to San Diego to jump and had no troubles with my rig as carry on on the way out, but they forced my to check it on the way back. The TSA supervisor wouldn't let it go since they couldn't verify what the add was. They thought it looked like an explosive. For my next trip I'll go carry on again, but I'll bring a copy of the TSA rules, and also the image of the xray'd rig that vigil sent me.

I flew out to San Diego to jump and had no troubles with my rig as carry on on the way out, but they forced my to check it on the way back. The TSA supervisor wouldn't let it go since they couldn't verify what the add was. They thought it looked like an explosive. For my next trip I'll go carry on again, but I'll bring a copy of the TSA rules, and also the image of the xray'd rig that vigil sent me.

Good Call

If they say it looks like an explosive.. they should have swabbed it down and tested it

That sucks.

I had no problems during my trip to and from Georgia. But I did have a mom & daughter come up to me in the gate and ask me about my rig. And then the ticket taker *stopped* the line to make a rather loud comment along the lines of "Whoa! Looks like YOU'RE ready for a bumpy ride! Is that a PARACHUTE?? Wow, COOL!"

I'll be putting that thing in a gear bag next time.

That sucks.

I had no problems during my trip to and from Georgia. But I did have a mom & daughter come up to me in the gate and ask me about my rig. And then the ticket taker *stopped* the line to make a rather loud comment along the lines of "Whoa! Looks like YOU'RE ready for a bumpy ride! Is that a PARACHUTE?? Wow, COOL!"

I'll be putting that thing in a gear bag next time.

That's exactly the kind of attention we don't want if we want to preserve our ability to carry on rigs. Some will think it is cool, while others might express their fear to security. Put it in a gear bag and the nervous nellies don't have a reason to be nervous.

Hey my rig is much smaller, but i recently went to Hawaii with three total flights. Took mine as a carry- on in my gear bag. I would NEVER check it if you have multiple flights. I've had plenty of experiences with airlines where they loose bags and they only cover up to 3000.00 (typically). I had no problems with it. If it doesn't fit in the overhead it will probably fit under the seat in front of you. If it doesn't, the airline will tag it and put it with the other baggage that is being checked as a carry-on. When the plane arrives at the destination they will remove it from the cargo area. I wouldn't sweat it. Gear bag for sure though. They know that they shouldn't open the reserve and they've never asked me to open the main.

I just traveled with my rig last week and found out that some airlines have begun limiting carry on baggage weight to 25 pounds - my rig weighed 27 pounds so I was required to check it. I asked to check it at the gate and that worked so I passed through the security check point with my rig and then checked it at the gate before boarding. I was flying on Hawaiian.

It always helps to look for the nicest/coolest looking attendant to check bags with. Just talking them up a little can go a LONG way to letting some things slide. Have a fun trip!

Now that just makes no sense... It looks like an explosive, but we'll allow it on the plane anyway? No way.
Little Hitlers making you jump through hoops just because they can is much more likely.

I'm flying out from Heathrow through LAX in a couple of days with United. My rig is packed securely in a checked-baggage bag with a printed sheet inside on the top saying in big font:

To Airport Security personnel, this bag contains lifesaving parachute equipment. Handling of this equipment by anyone not trained and qualified in parachute maintainance by the appropriate governing bodies may result in death to the user.

If you have any questions about this equipment in this case, please page me. I'll be happy to help explain and answer any questions you have. Flight details are below. Additionally, please find attached to this sheet notices from the relevant airport / aviation authorities and manufacturers information about travelling with parachutes.

Thanks

and I've put in the CAA Cypress exemption letter, the TSA advice and the Cypres details.

I can't stop 'em opening the case, but I can be as polite and helpful as possible if they do. That's the best option.

The Bombardier Regional jet overhead shelf is unfortunately not high enough for your V353. Mine is a V348 and just fits provided it is in a very thin bag. But the Regional Jet has two big containers on the right side in the front of the airplane and I used one of them the time when back from Detroit. If the person at the gate tells you you cannot do it, insist telling this is a life saving device (a parachute) costing more than 7000.00$ and that you don't want to have your parachute tossed as any registred luggage because your life depends on it. If you conviced her (at the gate) the personel of the airplane will find a way to please you.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

Sorry I just re read your post, I understand you are flying with an Embraer Regional Jet (ERJ) and not a Bombardier RJ. Well the overhead shelf on the ERJ is still less high than the BRJ and has no big containers at the front. Therefore your best way is hoping you put your rig on a seat or like I did (back from O'Hare) put it under the front seat. But before anything try to be convincing at the gate. People anwsering you on this post seem to have flown with bigger airplanes where the overhead shelf is way higher, no wonder they didn't have any problem.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.