fueler

skydivingmovies.com and firefox??????

i read on here somewhere that firefox doesnt work well with skydivingmovies.com. when i try to download certain files i get a bunch of crap on the screen. i cant remember what the hell you are supposed to do to get it to work. HELP!!!:S
what!?

No, it is skydivingmovies' fault. For the example that was posted, the video is sent with a MIME type of text/plain. Firefox is doing exactly what it was told to do, treating it as a plain text file, thus the garbage on the screen.

Hi Feuler

What I did is the following.

1. Tools -> options -> downloads
2. Click on plugins
3. Deactivate all plugins that view movies files.
4. Now go to skydivingmovies.com login
5. Pic a movies for download
6. left-click on download. (seeing that you deactivated the
plugins for viewing the movies it will now prompt you to download.

Optional

1. Install Flashget
2. Install Flashgot Extentsion for Firefox.

Now when the download popup appears you can choose to use flashgot downloader which will send download request to flashget.

If you have any issues pm me your email and I'll send you a document with screen captures to explain.

Cheers

Thanks. Matt just got wmv files working properly again (problem started when the server got a new hard drive a couple months ago), but I forgot about mp4 files. I bet ASF files are a problem too, along with a few other odd types. I'll let him know. It's easy to fix, but I don't have access to the files that need to be edited.

But yeah, for the short term, I suggest either saving the file by copying the filename, right click, save link as, paste the filename.

Or install an "open link in IE" extension in firefox which will open the file in windows media player and stream it. It can be found on the major extension sites.

Dave

BTW, a while back I had rewritten the entire download script which fixed all these problems, including putting the proper filename in when you right click to save a file. A few hours later the server crashed. Turned out my new script was writing the entire contents of every downloaded file to the server's memory until each download finished. With multiple large file downloads, the server ran out of memory and crashed. So I quickly reverted back to the old script which works fine in IE but sucks in firefox, which I use. I'm still trying to find a better way to send files out.

Dave