schulm04

Javelin Odyssey Shape Change

Why is my brand new Odyssey DNKY longer than my old Odyssey TJNK? It is longer but skinnier, so the total displacement is obviously correct in relation to the sizing chart. Clearly they changed the shape of the containers, as i've compared it to other Javys a couple years old. What the hell? I was expecting one thing and got another. Functionally it is great, but when you're shelling out cash like that, you better be pleased with aesthetics too!!

Don't you think its a little odd to change your product's shape and not mention that on the website? "Oh, by the way, that rig that took us an eternity to get to you, is a different shape than all the other one's you've seen/owned. We didn't think it was a big deal. Its just a couple thousand bucks. Don't be so picky."

Get over it, smaller isn't always better. I'm sure they didn't change the way make rigs just for fun. There has to be a benefit of some sort or they would not have gone to the trouble to make new patterns.

How specific were you when youplaced your order? Did you tell them you wanted the exact same thing, or did you just order the equivilant?

I just ordered a jumpsuit, and instead of filling out an order form, I sent them the one I wore out, and said make me another just like this one. Guess what I got? Exactly what I wanted.

When I ordered my Inifinty, I had three pages of notes and drawings outlining how I wanted it built. Guess what I got? Exactly what I wanted (for the record, all of my special instrcutions were regarding the function of the rig, not the looks).

I've got news for you, I don't even know you, and I can say for sure that the look of your rig is not going to make or break your image.

Don't you think its a little odd to change your product's shape

Have they? Have you compared it to older DKNYs?

If you look at the sizing chart the DKNY is obviously slightly non-standard in that it accepts a bigger reserve to main size than most of the other containers near it. It wouldn't surprise me if the DKNY was made with a different geometry than other Ody sizes. It also wouldn't surprise me if all smaller Ody's had a different geometry than medium ones and larger ones. In fact, I'd say it's very naive to expect different sizes of container to be exactly the same shape downscaled.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

my point was, the SMALLER container is LONGER than my old one.

I don't know the specifics of Javelin rigs.

But... Smaller rigs are made for smaller people. Smaller people are usually skinnier. And skinny people don't want a wide rig that sticks out beyond their body on both sides. So in order to get the volume of the rig tucked in behind skinny bodies, they make the rigs more narrow. More narrow means the displaced width has to go somewhere else. So the rig is made a little taller to provide the same cubic-inch volume as it would if it were wider.

Just something to consider.

Don't you think its a little odd to change your product's shape and not mention that on the website? "Oh, by the way, that rig that took us an eternity to get to you, is a different shape than all the other one's you've seen/owned. We didn't think it was a big deal. Its just a couple thousand bucks. Don't be so picky."

You can make a kick ass website like crashtested did. ;) Javelins used to take 1 1/2 years to receive, how long did yours take?

Stick with the Infinity, or even Microns, Voodoos and Mirage and you'll be happy.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

>my point was, the SMALLER container is LONGER than my old one.

Uh, right. That's pretty common. The Relative Workshop website used to have the actual dimensions of the rig, and often smaller containers were longer. This is a good thing in my book; older, taller people might opt for the longer rig because it's easier for them to reach the hackey, whereas wider people might prefer the shorter rig.

Why is the length a problem, anyway?

i didn't think it would be the same size, i thought the new container would be a little shorter, as it holds smaller canopies. Its longer than my old TJNK which is much bigger overall. Obviously it is a little thinner in depth and width to compensate for the added length as the total volume is less than the bigger one.

I have a DNKY manufactured Feb 06 and it is exactly as you describe.

At that time it was not on the sizing chart at all and I only got it after phoning up Sunpath, so as far as I know the DNKY has always been that shape.

They actually asked me how tall I was because the rig was longer as they had lengthen the reserve tray from the container is was based on to fit the PDR 126.

I guess the lesson learned is to not expect all container models to scale linearly.

(edit) Well the lesson for you anyway, as I'm really happy with the shape of mine :-)

look at the bright side of the situation, I know at least one guy who wasn't able to rich his hackey during freefall and ended up with reserve ride.
It was a small Jav, but don't know the size (sub 100sq xbraced main).

IMO rigs should/already have a min length to avoid above situation. But I would also expect container to be shorter which is good for traveling.
Janusz
Back to Poland... back home.

look at the bright side of the situation, I know at least one guy who wasn't able to rich his hackey during freefall and ended up with reserve ride.
It was a small Jav, but don't know the size (sub 100sq xbraced main).

IMO rigs should/already have a min length to avoid above situation. But I would also expect container to be shorter which is good for traveling.
Janusz

do the manufacturers not use the harness to put the container in the right place on the jumpers back?