BillyVance

I think I ruined somebody else's day again!

Whoops! I did it again!

I was driving home from work this afternoon, going 75-80 mph in a 55 mph work zone, however all construction workers were finished for the day.

Troopers were out in force, but I had been watching for them most of the way, until about one mile from my exit to home when I let my gaze wander for a couple seconds, then OH SHIT! I passed a parked trooper in the median going about 78. Yup, he just put it in gear and turned to get on the highway to chase me down.. OH SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHITTY SHIT!!! Oh wait, he had to pause for oncoming traffic... in a split second, I decide to make a run for it. I'm in the left lane, with 3 or 4 18 wheelers in front of me, and a line of 3 or 4 cars in the right lane slightly behind the last 18 wheeler. I got just enough room to squeeze through the gap. By then the trooper's entered the highway but he's behind an 18 wheeler. I get a good long stretch of nothing in my way, and gun it... until I close up behind an 18 wheeler just before my exit and I still can't see the trooper back there... cool, looks like I'll just scoot the hell out of there off the ramp... OH SHIT SHITTY SHIT!! The 18 wheeler in front of me is getting off at my exit!! FUCK FUCK FUCKITY FUCK!!! >:(

Crap.... I figured I've been had...but nooooo.... finally I see the trooper, pulling SOMEBODY ELSE over at the beginning of that exit ramp, while I'm sitting at the end of the ramp waiting for my turn off!!! What the hell... he needs glasses or something! Okay, the car he pulled over was very similar in size and type, but a little darker in color, and it wasn't even dark outside yet...

Oops... I just ruined somebody's day... not the first time that's happened that way... :ph34r:

Dang, I need to slow down... :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

HA HA HA!! Great story!! I tried the "oh, maybe if I exit over the next hill he won't see me........."

Didn't work. He popped me.

SHIT!! you just reminded me. My daughter got a ticket last week.....dammit...$$$$$$$

LOL... well you gotta remember, your daughter's an amatuer at this point! :D

I've been doing this long enough and gotten more than a dozen tickets over the past 20 years, and at least that many warnings too, and I've gotten pretty wily along my commute route. It helps that they're now building the median wall almost the entire way, some 30 miles, so pretty soon I'll only have to worry about my side of the highway... :ph34r:

Of course, you never know... they'll find a new place to hide, and I've seen them use an airplane once. I do slow down when passing through interchanges, sometimes they hide on the on-ramp behind the bridge and you can't see them until you pass the bridge. The one that almost got me was hiding behind a construction vehicle in the median, which is currently in various stages of new paving. Bastard... however, I outsmarted him... :ph34r: I don't expect my luck to hold out forever though. I'm trying to get at least 3 full years without a ticket, almost halfway through but damn, it's really hard staying off the edge! :)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Right now would be the time to knock on wood!!!!

I used to use a radar detector. I got more tickets when I had that than ever before. Now I just stay behind the fast guy and let him get it!!!

That's safer, but not fool-proof... I am more cautious when I'm out in the open by myself, as troopers are more likely to chase down a lonely car than one in a pack. Your best bet is to be in the middle of a string of vehicles in the fast lane, neither leading nor riding shotgun (if that means bringing up the rear).

I'll go along with you and knock on wood too! :P

For what its worth, I've never used a radar detector. One advantage of being deaf, however, is that I use my sight more than most people do, i.e. being way more observant... I can even spot the unmarked and undercover trooper cars... they usually have a set of blue lights just inside the rear window. The unmarked Crown Victorias are easy to spot, but other makes are harder... I once got pulled over by a converted JEEP!! >:(

I guess it isn't fool proof (staying behind the leader) - after all you managed to ruin the other guy's day today!!!!!;)

You haven't missed anything as far as radar detectors go - maybe technology has changed, but I spent too many times distracted because almost everything set it off!

I got rid of it after my last ticket.:P

I guess it isn't fool proof (staying behind the leader) - after all you managed to ruin the other guy's day today!!!!!;)

You haven't missed anything as far as radar detectors go - maybe technology has changed, but I spent too many times distracted because almost everything set it off!

I got rid of it after my last ticket.:P

Just the fact that I'd have to keep my eye on the radar detector for the blips makes me more likely to be distracted by it than keeping my eyes focused as far ahead as I can... besides, some troopers can do spot checks, waiting until the last second to aim the damn gun at you and get the speed. No radar detector is going to help you at that point. Nowadays, they're also using laser technology, which renders most radar detectors obsolete.

Also, some states outlaw detectors, and if caught with one, they'll take it and smash it. Virginia is one of them. Happened to my step-dad-in-law... he was just passing through... boy was he pissed... and the bastards made him come back for the court appearance! [:/]

going 75-80 mph in a 55 mph work zone

Only 75-80, huh? Still, a man after my own heart. If they'd nailed you, though, the ticket would have been a minimum of double of the normal cost, because of the "work zone."

Did I tell you that I found out on my way to CRW camp this past weekend, that the 2004 Mustang (6 cylinder that the speedometer goes to 120 on), will get up to 117? I probably could have eeked those last 3 mph out, but I'll save that for another day. ;)

Shit, in November, I was driving a 2004 Ponticac Grand Prix WideTrac to CRW camp, that the speedometer went to 140, but it's just a tease. [:/] I could only get the car to max out at 110 and then it tried to shut down on me. Fucker!!!!

I called Bolas, raising hell that Pontiac was using false advertising with that speedometer. I could just picture him sitting in front of his computer, laughing at me (not with me)..... :S :P
Nina

Are we called "DAWGs" because we stick our noses up people's butts? (RIP Buzz)
Yep, you're a postwhore-billyvance

Nina, you and I need to do that road trip caravan thing again! [Sly]

I've hit 120 mph on my MR2 Spyder, which I think can go a little bit faster, and I've definitely maxed out the top speeds in my Tundra pick-up at 105 mph and the Protege at 118 mph, and it has over 170,000 miles on it, woohoo! [Sly]

I wonder what the fine would be for going 120 in a 55 work zone? [Angelic] I hope I never find out! [Tongue]

Nina, you and I need to do that road trip caravan thing again!

You know the Them TOADSUCKERS meet should be coming up again soon! :ph34r:

I wonder what the fine would be for going 120 in a 55 work zone? I hope I never find out!

I hope I'm never with you when you DO find out, 'cause that probably means I'll find out, too! :P

What's the old joke about a good friend bailing you out of jail and a great friend sitting in the cell next to you saying, "Damn was that fun!!!" :D
Nina

Are we called "DAWGs" because we stick our noses up people's butts? (RIP Buzz)
Yep, you're a postwhore-billyvance

Did I tell you that I found out on my way to CRW camp this past weekend, that the 2004 Mustang (6 cylinder that the speedometer goes to 120 on), will get up to 117? I probably could have eeked those last 3 mph out, but I'll save that for another day.

you mean to tell me my hyundai elantra withthe 2L 4 cylinder engine goes faster than a 6 cyl. mustang??? wow.. i hit 125 onmy way to eloy this past christmas in the middle of grand canyon natinal park on "alt 89" in arizona....this was flat ground to, not downhill..

But the depreciation and resale on a Hyundai SUCKS

i don't care.. boughtit for 8k with 25k miles on it and it has 90 ow and it's never treated me badly... probly gona drive it into the ground!!!! and that willbe probly way over 200k miles......

you mean to tell me my hyundai elantra withthe 2L 4 cylinder engine goes faster than a 6 cyl. mustang??? wow.. i hit 125 onmy way to eloy

I used to have a red 1996 Mustang 6 cyl., and I never could get it going as fast as I can my 4 cyl Protege...then again, a good chunk of my past speeding tickets were earned on the Mustang. [Crazy]

Me and another fellar were bringing back to ambulances from Kansas.

He is in front of me so I am moving to try and catch him. As I cme around this long sweeping corner the radar detecter goes nuts and on the other side of the freeway I see his lights come on as he slowed to cross the median. I am thinking Dammit there goes the profit margine for delievering this medic unit. Well as luck would have it the sweeping turn was rather long and there was an off ramp. I rolled the dice and pitched offthe freeway and parked beneth the overpass for about 20 minutes. I figured well the trooper has got to be gone by now, right? I hop back on the freeway to continue on my journey when I see the troop up the road and he has the other medic pulled over!! (Whoa think fast!! I bailed off the freeway and took city streets for about 2 miles, then re-entered the freeway) Once we meet up at a gas station about forty miles down the road he said the trooper never did figure out where I went. He told my friend he looked right at the driver (which he did I still remember he had blue reflective sunglasses) and new he had the wrong person. He did give me a message though "tell him he's lucky, in Utah the speed he was traveloing is considered reckless driving and is a jailable offense!"

Fire Safety Tip: Don't fry bacon while naked

Great story, Feeble!

I had a similar experience years ago, I'm going 85 mph, pass a trooper parked on the shoulder on the other side, turns his lights on, aw shit, but is held up by oncoming traffic and again at the median by more traffic, and the next exit was less than a mile away. I got off as fast as I could, went down the road a bit, found a church and hid behind it for 10 minutes before I thought it was safe... Whew!

I passed a parked trooper in the median going about 78.

Come live over here - the copper wouldn't have even blinked an eyelid... primarily because you would have been one of the slowest moving vehicles on the road.

Hell at 78 you wouldn't even trigger a speed camera on the motorway round here.

Then again... we have shitty weather - stay at home.

I think I'd prefer Germany and its Autobahn. [Wink] You can go as fast as you want to. There is no speed limit, but they'll get you if you drive recklessly and endanger others. Their accident and death rate is way lower than here in the states...

I think I'd prefer Germany and its Autobahn. You can go as fast as you want to. There is no speed limit

only on some parts....... and if you get into an acident going over 130kph you are at falt anyways because of your speed ieven if there is no spel limit ta that point......

No kidding! Did I say I used to have a Porsche 914? I went and got it after riding in a friend's 914 and we T-boned a 4 door sedan at about 55 mph, blowing him out of our path. Crumpled the hood just a little, and neither of us was hurt! Luckily, it was the other guys fault, who failed to yield...

Hehe... my mother used to own a Volvo estate. We joke over here that along with cockroaches Volvo's would be one of the few things to survive a nuclear holocaust.

That car wrote two other cars off (neither accident our fault). Fist one vs. a Rover... (they tend to fall apart after a few years anyway)

Rover 1 twisted chassis - Volvo required 1 replacement rubber strip down driver's door.

Second one vs. a Ford Mondeo. Completely totaled RH side on the Mondeo ending up upside-down in a ditch - Volvo required a replacement RH front light cluster and had a scuffed bumper.

Maybe we should be shipping them out to Iraq together with M62 cupola's round the sun roof... I figure they'd take the abuse about as well as an uparmored humvee.