savonlokki

Vigil II stuck in "hello"

Hi there!

Today when turning on my Vigil (it was the 1st time I used my new rig). It stopped in "hello"; a nice welcome note that still, after 10 hours so far remains in the little display! My Vigil does not seem to react to any press on the switch, no lights no changes on the screen..... just a nice "hello"...

any ideas appart than sending back to Brussels?

Cheers

There's your answer.

I suppose you could wait and see if it powers off after 14 hours, or you could remove and reinstall the battery, and it might start working properly - but wouldn't you rather have an AAD that you know works properly, than one that might have problems?

I would recommend not jumping the rig at all with this AAD in it until it has been checked out by the manufacturer. You could call them before sending it, they may have some suggestions to try first.
"It's amazing what you can learn while you're not talking." - Skydivesg

This is a controler problem, just ask to AAD to send you a new controler and change it. This just happened to one of our customer.
Jérôme Bunker
Basik Air Concept
www.basik.fr
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Le-Luc-France/BASIK-AIR-CONCEPT/172133350468

There is no way that a VIGIL isnt working! The best of all aad's. If you dont stop fibbing the the Vigil cult groupies are gonna come after you. :D:D

Another manufacturer, the thread would probably just vanish and the entire problem would be explained as a user who did not switch their fine German piece of equipment on correctly.

Now that time has passed did the unit shut off? It did not start up properly so it should probably be removed and sent back.

-Michael

Hi there guys!

Thanks a lot for all inputs!. After 14.00 hours (sharp) from the initial "hello" message, the cortrol unit LCD turned itself off.

I waited about a day and I just tried again

I pressed the Push Button and a first "hello" came up followed by a Green flash; then the LCD turned back blank.
I waitied few seconds, pressed again the button and once again I have the nice welcome "hello" showing on the LCD, no red flashes at all, most probably for the next 14hrs.

Once again thanks for the inputs, I´ll contact my dealer ASAP. I hope its only the control unit and can be easily replaced. I´ve waited sometime to jump this rig.

Cheers.
Alex

This manufacturer is aware of this problem. Not surprisingly, it's known as "the Hello problem". One of my rigging customers had it and AAD replaced the unit with a new one for just the cost of shipping the bad unit back to their center in Florida. Talk to your rigger about getting the same deal.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan

A local jumper had this problem this past weekend. Vigil II, manufactured in June 2009, stuck at "Hello". No response to button presses. After it had been sitting for a few minutes, another jumper played with it and was able to get it to turn on. I think the owner would have jumped it, but I didn't trust it it to be functioning correctly and decided to power cycle it and see what happened. It went through the shutdown sequence ok but froze at "Goodbye". Pressed the button again, and it went straight from "Goodbye" to "Hello", gave the first two flashes, then froze again, with the display saying "Vigil II", and two of the three boxes filled in (the third was still hollow). It would no longer respond to button presses at all. It was still in that state well after 14 hours had passed (no auto-power off).

I removed the Vigil from the rig, the owner jumped without an AAD for the weekend. She is going to contact AAD - I'll post if/when I hear what the outcome is.

was it originally turned on at a different altitude ?

No, it was turned on at the DZ. This was not a failure to auto power off due to being in "airborne" mode. It got stuck part way through the turn on sequence.

Hi there!

Today when turning on my Vigil (it was the 1st time I used my new rig). It stopped in "hello"; a nice welcome note that still, after 10 hours so far remains in the little display! My Vigil does not seem to react to any press on the switch, no lights no changes on the screen..... just a nice "hello"...

Cheers

It sounds like your LCD screen has been damaged which can sometimes be caused by bumping into something on exit and or placing pressure/weight onto the face of it. I am almost positive your Vigil rep will replace it for free.

Since you have not listed in your profile where you are located, I will tell you to contact Candace at Vigil USA or Yann if you are outside the USA. Contact info for both can be found HERE
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I see that this thread is well over a year old, but this happened to me yesterday.

Just finished my A license a couple months ago and got a new rig, brand new vigil II. Tried to turn it on for the first time at the DZ and it was stuck on hello. I was trained on cypress so i asked the staff for help. I received overwhelmingly negative opinions on vigils. Nobody could get it to respond so they suggested that I could either have the batteries removed and put back in to see if it would start up again, or send it back to the manufacturer to get troubleshooted and fixed.

However, I didn't like the idea that something which is supposed to save my life would have a defect like this so I immediately lost all trust in the brand. The equipment dude who sold it to me offered to take it back and I could pay the difference for a cypress, so I did just that.

I initially chose the vigil because it was cheaper and the minimal service requirements, but after this first impression I gladly shelled out the bills for some piece of mind.

I see that this thread is well over a year old, but this happened to me yesterday.

Just finished my A license a couple months ago and got a new rig, brand new vigil II. Tried to turn it on for the first time at the DZ and it was stuck on hello. I was trained on cypress so i asked the staff for help. I received overwhelmingly negative opinions on vigils. Nobody could get it to respond so they suggested that I could either have the batteries removed and put back in to see if it would start up again, or send it back to the manufacturer to get troubleshooted and fixed.

However, I didn't like the idea that something which is supposed to save my life would have a defect like this so I immediately lost all trust in the brand. The equipment dude who sold it to me offered to take it back and I could pay the difference for a cypress, so I did just that.

I initially chose the vigil because it was cheaper and the minimal service requirements, but after this first impression I gladly shelled out the bills for some piece of mind.

I have a vigil 2 in my rigs. Never had a problem and love it. If you think that vigil is the only one with problem your wrong. Cypress had/has just as many problems over the years. Its just a more recognized name
Never give the gates up and always trust your rears!

I have a vigil 2 in my rigs. Never had a problem and love it. If you think that vigil is the only one with problem your wrong. Cypress had/has just as many problems over the years. Its just a more recognized name

Possibly true, not coming here claiming anything is infallible, just sharing my personal experience (which i already know i don't have much experience.) I trust my instructors and rigger, and they say they felt better that i switched to the cypres.

Just hard to put your faith in something when it doesn't work properly right in front of your eyes.

Just hard to put your faith in something when it doesn't work properly right in front of your eyes.

lol give it time you will see cypres not work in front of your own eyes too. They all have there problems.
Never give the gates up and always trust your rears!

along similar lines, of why I bought a Cypres.. I had bought a Argus, but the way Karel and/or Aviacom was handling things lately helped me lose confidence. I was able to cancel the order and go with Cypres.
The more I've read since my ordeal, the more comfort I have for having made the choice when I did.
DS#727, DB Cooper #41, POPS #11065, SCR #13183, FA #2125, SCS #8306, HALO #309 SRA #5930