huge (58") pilot chute on eBay, what rigs were these used in?

Apart from what's stamped on it I'd have said it looked like a very early BASE PC. They (apparently) made some huge fuckers back in the day.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Wouldnt you want a spring loaded pilot chute in a belly reserve?

I have one of these curiosities and it seems to have a kill line (or some kind of line) going to the apex on the inside.

The top outside center had a piece of webbing sewn on flat and flush against the green ZP fabric. There is no loop or hole to attach anything to.

These are dirt cheap on eBay. Wonder if they have any application in skydiving?

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

Yes it is military. It is the pilot chute for the Modified Improved Reserve Parachute System (MIRPS). It is a belly reserve. I tried to get a link from para gear but they seem to be down at the moment..

Is this it? looks like it has some sort of external spring launcher for the reserve pilot chute:

http://www.irvinaerospace.com/pdfs/T-10R_T-10R_MIRPS.pdf

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

Yes it is the MIRP's. The spring is not "Captured" like on the old T-10 or our skydiving systems, as the lower speeds of some partial malfunctions with the military rounds are so slow that the heavy spring would not allow the pilot chute to inflate and creat lift, there was eve na lead shot bag in the mix to add momentum so the pilot chute would clear the canopies that where out. Which is why a bunch of the Old School Military jumpers are familuar with "Down and Away"

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Thanks for the very clear explanation.

Is this system used now on Airborne belly reserves?

If it is, I wonder why the govt surplused a big quantity of unused pilot chutes?

Yes it is military. It is the pilot chute for the Modified Improved Reserve Parachute System (MIRPS). It is a belly reserve. I tried to get a link from para gear but they seem to be down at the moment..

Any guess how much drag this would create at lower speeds (15-20mph?)

My mom is developing a problem with her new young sled dogs going faster/harder than the brakes on the sled, was wondering if a round (or in this case, a fat PC) could have any value as a deployable option for her. The speeds may not be sufficient and the terrain a bit hostile to a larger one, but when we're talking $10, it's a cheap experiment.

This is not a MIRPS pilot chute, it is a a drogue from the MC-5 military system. This item is a drogue parachute which is installed between the main parachute and the static line on a MC-5 freefall system. It provides stability when the deployment bag is yanked out of the main compartment.

This is a MIRPS SLCP pilot chute. The spring is not incorporated in the PC as these reserves stay packed for 1 year and loose compression within two pack cycles usually. All you have to do is replace the spring and continue packing instead replacing the whole PC.

Any guess how much drag this would create at lower speeds (15-20mph?)

My mom is developing a problem with her new young sled dogs going faster/harder than the brakes on the sled, was wondering if a round (or in this case, a fat PC) could have any value as a deployable option for her. The speeds may not be sufficient and the terrain a bit hostile to a larger one, but when we're talking $10, it's a cheap experiment.

They give a fair amount of drag at 20 MPH, but if they collapse and drag on the ground they really dont want to reinflate very easily. I'd pass for the sled unless you want to modify them with a stiffener rod for to keep the top fabric stretched out for easy reinflation.

I bought one for the heck of it, just got it in the mail. This thing is HUGE for a pilot chute! Even says pilot chute right on it. I think its made out of ZP or some kind of it. Really slick and can't breathe any air through it. Trying to think up some ideas to do with it.