kingbunky

sharpie on reserve bridle?

While packing a reserve I noticed that someone had written their phone number on the reserve bridle with a sharpie. Seems like a good idea, but I'm wondering if the ink could damage the fabric. I've pulled and stretched the area around the writing, and it seems as solid as the rest of it. Are there any good reasons not to do it?
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

Like Riggerlee said.

There are special approved markers, eg "MIL-I-6903C, Type IV Parachute Ink" as mentioned in the PIA's TS-108 on pull testing orphaned round reserves. I've never seen one. Mind you, National's round canopy pull test document just mentioned using a "suitable" ink pen.

In a dz.com discussion some years back there was the concern expressed that, who knows, there could be some acidity in markers that could damage bridles or line attachments or whatever one is marking.

But I don't recall anyone having proof either way -- just that there's no guarantee that ink in general is safe.

I've seen old reserve bridles with something like 3 different owners' names on them. Customers don't ask for it much these days around here. So I almost never see anything on say a Wings bridle, but plenty on old Vector II's.

I sometimes put distance marks on a bridle, as a packing aid, when a manual spells out at what point to do something different with the bridle (e.g., 5-6' is mentioned for non Skyhook Vectors, 36 - 45" for Wings).

Are there any good reasons not to do it?

Do you want to be called when your lost freebag and PC are chewed by a $250,000 harvester? I sure as hell don't.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Wouldn't the harvester chew the bridle up?

Maybe. It might tear up the harvester too. That's just one example of expensive equipment out there in the fields around many DZs. I'd rather spot for the freebag or at least get a good line on where its going and land with my main. Although on the last cutaway I had, it took some serious searching to find my main (spotted for the swoop lane, not for a chop).:o

--------------------------------------------------------------
Do you want to be called when your lost freebag and PC are chewed by a $250,000 harvester? I sure as hell don't.

Damn, you stole my answer! :P

Farmers & locals in the area know there is a dz nearby, if they find something and feel like returning it, they'll know to just call the dz.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

I refuse to pack any bridle labeled this way. At a minimum the ink runs and gets all over. And there are no data I'm aware of that this DOESN'T degrade the webbing. You need to prove to me it doesn't hurt it. Not the other way around.

There are a number of options. If your rigger believes its okay (and it's debatable) use a ball point pen on a separate piece of material and have it sewn to the bridle. What I have my customers do is write what they want with a ball point on the line pocket of the free bag. A piece of material with little stress and little direct contact. In addition the ball point doesn't run.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Dave, isn't that why we have 3rd party insurance?

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Dave, isn't that why we have 3rd party insurance?

The 3rd party insurance does not absolve you of civil liability. Lets say that you cause $50k worth of damage to something. Lets say that the 3rd party insurance pays out $20k to fix it. Guess who is going to pay the other $30k?

Good point, but not having your contact details on the damage causing item does not absolve you of responsibility.:P

BPA 3rd party liability insurance is £2m... that'll pay for a few mangled ploughs

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

I am a chemical geek. The problem with these MSDS's?

one word 'Dyes'.

This encompasses some of the nastiest chemicals, or some of the most benign. Not enough information.

As a point of reference. There was some data produced a long time ago about which pen decresed the tensile strength of some nylon materials LEAST. It was a staedtler (sp) lumicolor version. For a long time the only place I found them was in AUSTRIA!.

The marking CHALK that decreased strength the least? Dixon marking pencil. I bought a box. Others were worse.

It is significant? Probably not. Are riggers wrong for doing it or packing a bridle with sharpie spread all over it? Maybe, maybe not, I wouldn't sick the feds on one. But I choose not to. Your last chance to live deserves an assumption of damage until proven safe, NOT anything goes until proven unsafe.

Am I a conservative weenie? You bet.;)

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Hmmm... hadn't thought bout that. Lost my freebag at WFFC 2005. Everyone saw where it landed in a soybean field not far downwind from where my main was found, but after HOURS of searching, including a look from the air, I had to reluctantly give up. Those soybeans can really swallow gear.

Bet it did get "harvested" eventually. Bet some farmer is pissed. Hope the sun weakened it enough to prevent serious trouble.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.