EVOL

Help Me Choose New Gear!

I have come to the end of the useful life of my first rig. My cypress has expired on its 12 year, my Mirage G3 has a lot of wear, and my Sabre 170 needs new lines and I am looking to downsize. I jump a Stiletto 150 frequently but I’m not a huge fan of it.

I have been thinking about getting all new gear in the next year or so. I am a tandem video dude and I also enjoy freeflying. I have been known to do a lot of tracking dives and I will go with the belly flyers anytime. I don’t fancy myself a great swooper and it is something I am work on in time.

This is what my choices have been so far so please help me elaborate. I’m 6’3” and 195 w/o gear.

Container – Mirage G3, Javelin Odyssey, or Wings ----------------(leaning toward Odyessy)

Main – Pulse 150, Stiletto 150, or Crossfire 150. ------------------(leaning toward Pulse)

Reserve – PD 143

AAD – Vigil or Cypress? ------------------(leaning toward Vigil)

The main canopy is the hardest decision because I would like a good intermediate-advanced canopy that will see me through the next 1000 jumps. I’m planning on demoing a Pulse 150 this summer and I don’t know a lot about the Crossfire. I know the Stiletto is not my favorite but I might not have given it enough of a chance.

I know containers are just a matter of brand preference but I would love to hear suggestions.
Feel free to suggest anything that’s not on the list.

Cheers!
Chris

Main – Pulse 150, Stiletto 150, or Crossfire 150. ------------------(leaning toward Pulse)

Can you explain those choices? You've got two canopies specifically designed for swooping and one that's specifically not. Seems a little strange.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Video? Get a Crossfire.

Aspiring swooper? Do *not* get harness rings, and do *not* get a Stiletto.

As long as you don't mention *what specifically* you didn't like about the Stiletto, and what you are instead looking for in a canopy, it's a little hard to give useful advice. Do you want to lose a a little or lot of altitude in a toggle turn? Do you want a short or a long toggle range? Low or high front riser pressure? Flat or steep trim? (Actually, when jumping video, you probably want a flat trim.) High or low toggle turn rate? Positive or negative recovery arc?

About the only things I can say thus far is you want a flat trimmed nine cell with softest possible openings. All of which points to a Crossfire, but there's other, less aggressive canopies out there that may suit you better.

Container - anything with a SkyHook.
Johan.
I am. I think.

Aspiring swooper? Do *not* get harness rings.....

Could you explain the reason for this, please?
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

Honestly I think the javelin is a step down from a mirage. few examples: pop top, no secondary riser covers, downward main flap that will most likely pop open in a sit, and the design is pretty well unchanged in the last 15 yrs or so. I would get a vector 3 if I were you. If you do not like that system I would at least stick with a mirage. Infinity rigs are nice and damn secure, and I think they are cheaper than most. Not to bash on javelins but it has been my own experience. I would go for a cypress, not that anything is wrong with the vigil. The cypress has just been proven over the years.
don't try your bullshit with me!!!

Honestly I think the javelin is a step down from a mirage. few examples: pop top, no secondary riser covers, downward main flap that will most likely pop open in a sit, and the design is pretty well unchanged in the last 15 yrs or so. I would get a vector 3 if I were you.

I second that, the vector 3 is much better and safer, and has the sky hook option that will keep you safe in a sky full of idiots and will give you the opton to deploy the reserve with you right hand.

the crossfire is your best canopy choice you listed though I wouldn't rule out a safire2 at those kind of wingloadings, both the crossfire2 and safire2 have consistently soft openings, which is imortant as a camera flyer.

DON"T GET A STILETTO!

If you want to swoop they will put you in more danger as you will have to tun them much lower (shorter lines,more elliptical). and they are less predictable, due to being overly/unnecessarily elliptical.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

Giving harness input is a good habit to get into for swooping. Harness input works better if the harness doesn't deform and absorb the input.

At 500 jumps I hardly need tell the OP, but a collapsible pilot, ditto slider and long chest strap are useful for advanced canopy flight also.

All of the above: don't try to invent the wheel on your own. Talk to someone on why, and how.
Johan.
I am. I think.

DON'T GET A STILETTO!

If you want to swoop they will put you in more danger as you will have to turn them much lower (shorter lines,more elliptical). and they are less predictable, due to being overly/unnecessarily elliptical.

Actually, a Stiletto is perfectly predictable, but it has a tendency to oversteer a little. Depending on your individual style, you may notice this more or less (depending of the amount, and direction, of harness input you give automatically at the end of a turn). If you notice it a lot, you may find it unpredictable, but it's just reacting to your input.
Johan.
I am. I think.

PD recommends a max exit eight of 200 lbs. for the 143 reserve, even for "experts". Regardless of your experience level, keep in mind that there may be things going on on a reserve ride that make for a less-than-ideal landing situation. Be conservative.

If you go with a Mirage or Wings, whatever reserve you decide on, tell them you're getting the next bigger size. Your rigger will thank you for it.

Definitely demo a Pulse.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan

Agreed!
I often advise customers to lie about canopy sizes when ordering new rigs.
If you tell them that your canopies are one size larger - than reality - then your rigger will appreciate the easy packing, you will be more comfortable and the container will last longer.

WOW......first off.........thank you everyone for the replies. There are some very valid points comin up here. Maybe too many.

So far I think I ruled the Stiletto out. Havent been a fan of it and it sounds like some of you agree. What im looking for in a canopy is nice openings(camera) and good stability in rough air(i jump in the midwest in high winds and a small landing area).

After that it would be nice to SLOWLY work on swooping over the next few years. I dont want to do it bad enough to break something and loose my real job (pilot).

From my experience with canopy work so far I do not like flat flying canopies. I like light front risers that you can hold in a dive vs. turning low and trying to dig out if I misjudge. Forgive me if any of that sounds stupid.......like I said im not much of a swooper. Keep in mind that if I land out around my DZ its a 90% chance I will be landing in corn or beans. Something that will slow down is a large plus.

The Crossfire 150 might fit the profile above? Safire?

Containers im still up in the air about. It might come down to what kind of deal I can find when the time comes to buy. G3, Wings, or Odyssey would please me long time.

I will do some investigation into reserve size. If the PD 143 won’t hold me than ill go with the 160. I would like to keep my rig size down but safety and functionality win over looks in my book any day. There is always the optimum but it’s a jump in price.

As for AAD I think I’m going to give the vigil a try. It costs less and no required inspections? I have heard several well respected riggers suggest them in the past year.

Keep the suggestions/advice coming if you have any.
Cheers!
Chris

From my experience with canopy work so far I do not like flat flying canopies. I like light front risers that you can hold in a dive vs. turning low and trying to dig out if I misjudge. Forgive me if any of that sounds stupid.......like I said im not much of a swooper. Keep in mind that if I land out around my DZ its a 90% chance I will be landing in corn or beans. Something that will slow down is a large plus.

The Crossfire 150 might fit the profile above? Safire?

In that case I'm really not sure why you're leaning towards the Pulse? It's designed as a flatter gliding, fun to fly but less divey, less swoopy alternative to the Sabre2 (IIRC).

I fly a Sabre2 but I'm a big fan of Icarus products. In my experience of the Crossfire2 and Safire2 I'd say the Safire2 sounds like a closer fit to what you're looking for. The Crossfire2 is a fantastic canopy but the Safire2 has great performance too and is a lot less hassle.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Chris -

If you can get on Luigi Cani's course at Skydive Midwest in June then he'll probably be able to give you advice about main canopies (and the other stuff) - then you could demo jump your short list.

Alternatively there is someone at SDMW who may be buying a complete rig but does not want the Sabre2 150 that comes with it....might be an option.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

Giving harness input is a good habit to get into for swooping. Harness input works better if the harness doesn't deform and absorb the input.

I do use harness input to assist with coordinated turns (although my rig is non-articulated). Do harness rings really impede the transfer of weight to the risers/canopy? This is not something I have heard before.

(Sorry for the slight thread hijack, but this could be important in gear choice)

~ CanuckInUSA