CanuckInUSA

Supersize Me - the movie

Hmmm. Plenty of people may question my choices. Last night, I had a $1.00 ($1.08 with tax) double cheeseburger from McDonalds. It was mighty tasty, too.

I finally decided that I can no longer continue to hide my lifestyle. My friends and family were concerned when I first started, and cannot understand why I would put myself at risk by doing what I do.

Last night, I sat down and talked to my wife about it. She was upset. Everyone is. It is risky what we do, and I told her I know that. But, she is a whuffo. "Whuffo you wanna eat dem burgers?"

I am well insured so that my wife and son will be covered in the event something unfortunate happens. But, one way or another, it is my choice, and I simply cannot give up what I love.

I'll make sure I do it safely by not eating, driving and talking on the cell phone at the same time. I'll wash it down with a diet Mountain Dew to ease people's fears that I'm nothing more than a thrombus looking for a cerebral artery to clot.

But, it is my choice, and my lifestyle. If I die doing it, at least I died doing what I love, just like Mama Cass.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Let's not forget to add how McDonalds and other fast food corporations are destroying our environment. The waste that they produce is sickening. Also, the cruelty towards animals is enough reason to not eat there at all. When they raise their chickens for your nuggets, they stack the chicken cages as many high and wide as they can so that the chickens shit all over each other. They stuff about 4 chickens in each tiny cage so they are litterally sitting on top of eachother. To keep them from pecking eachother to death, they tear their beaks off. They use electrocution to kill the cows, and most of them never see the light of day when they are being raised. It's horrible. Don't get me started. I could go on for hours.

Hmm I really dont care that much about chickens or cows , wether they were killed for Mcdonalds or your local grocery store I'm sure they didn't have a good time. Humans have been killing and eating animals for as long as we've been around, it doesn't bother me if I eat a depressed chicken or a happy free range one :)

"Don't Mess Around With the Guy in Shades- Oh No!!! "

You CAN eat healthy at McDonald's

McDonald's is far from healthy. Even the salads are loaded with fat, mainly saturated and sodium too. Most of that comes from the salad dressings they use. The one that is low fat is loaded with sodium, close to 40% of your daily intake. Just because something is low fat does not make it healthy. You have to look at the whole spectrum: sodium, fiber, carbs, vitamins etc.

And if you have a huge greasy meal, well, you go excercise it off. Its seems pretty simple to me.

A regular 1/4lber with cheese, medium fries and med coke has 1120 calories with 34 grams of fat. That's a lot of calories to burn off.

You CAN eat healthy at McDonald's -- but sometimes, why?

Have you ever read the ingredients on a package of McDonalds salad dressing?

You can not eat a healthy meal at McDonalds. You can only eat meals which are less unhealthy than others.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

I just read about the Hardee's Monster Burger. It has 1,420 calories and 107 grams of fat. Ugh, I think I'm going to be sick just reading about it. :S

ECH! Me, too, that burger sounds nasty. But, I can't say that I wouldn't venture to make my own burger with fresh ingredients that would probably have around 40 grams of fat in it or i'd be lying. I do my shopping at Wholefoods, but I am not on a diet. I simply don't like to have my food loaded with trans fat, sodium and preservatives. I do love me some fresh heavy cream alfredo sauce, but I would venture a guess that one bowl of my homemade alfredo nears 25 grams of fat.

This is off topic, though. I have definitely got to see the movie. I don't eat a lot of fast food because I know it is bad and furthermore it generally tastes bad, too... but it's good to have the info.

-A

i am not quite sure why I am playing devil's advocate here, but i just thought I would provide the listing of the nutritional content of McDonald's foods. Yes, most of it is horribly disgusting and fattening, but there are options provided -- like a bagel, english muffin, grilled chicken salad with low-fat, Paul Newman's dressing.

And yes, its MUCH better that we eat healthier foods and not use all these preservatives and fat, but there are some options when there is nothing else available...

http://www.mcdonalds.com/usa/eat/nutrition_info.html

Even as a child I knew how bad fast food was.

I sure didn't. There was no reason I should. Ronald was there! WOW... a clown, and hamburgler, Grimace, the Goblins!!! (later the Fry Guys... is that correct?)Man that place is great! I want to meet a goblin. Happy meals!!! they MUST make you happy, it says so right on the box... and there's a toy:)
As a child I had no clue what good for me was. I was forced to eat some vegetables so I though it was punishment. Rather than just having it as part of a meal, it was made out as a big deal. It wasn't until another 20 years later that I figured out that vegetables and fruits and greens are actually good.

See how much I remember about mcdonalds as a kid? Why do I know all that? Advertising. It's engrained. The Marketing is brilliant. I don't like Big Macs but the 2 all beef patties song is easily spouted. What about the Big Mac - filet 0 Fish - Quarter pounder French fries Rap?

Make the kids think about McDonalds and they want to go. MOM... I wanna go to mc Donalds... MOMMMMMM.

OK kids... if you'll shut up we'll go to McDonalds.

There isn't much that will hurt you too badly trying it now and then but it's not healthy to eat McDonalds ever. It just won't kill you to eat it now and then. So saying it's healthy or that any of the food there is healthy is less than accurate.

Sure we have a choice but there's so many folks that don't know any better.

That's all :)
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Like a bagel, enriched flour. Strip it and add back part of a vitamin and call it enriched :)

Sorry to cap on you, nothing personal, but the options are there to eat only marginally less bad. Te other option is to be less lazy and get food elswhere. It's so convenient to drive up and not even get out of your car to get a meal.

Go to a McDonalds some day and people watch. Do it with out even eating there. Seriously. Look at so many of the peoples bodies, their skin, and often times their attitudes. Then when you leave, notice the greasy feeling you have on your skin. You didn't even eat there and you will noticably smell like the place and also have it on your skin. Kinda crazy huh?

I sure didn't. There was no reason I should. Ronald was there! WOW... a clown, and hamburgler, Grimace, the Goblins!!! (later the Fry Guys... is that correct?)Man that place is great! I want to meet a goblin. Happy meals!!! they MUST make you happy, it says so right on the box... and there's a toy

As a child I had no clue what good for me was. I was forced to eat some vegetables so I though it was punishment. Rather than just having it as part of a meal, it was made out as a big deal. It wasn't until another 20 years later that I figured out that vegetables and fruits and greens are actually good.

Ditto that! And, i'm not sure my mother even realizes how bad this stuff is now, even after I bug and bug her about it. My niece was visiting and one day I saw her with a beanie baby from McDonalds... two days later, she had like 6 of them. This poor child, how many of these unhealthy meals she had to eat. I said something about it in front of the family and my aunt remarked that as a child i'd eaten the same thing and I was fine... :S

I am glad I eventually smartened up. As a kid, you couldn't force feed me most vegetables, and what veggies we did eat were soggy, overcooked, sodium soaked canned ones. A typical week's food would incorporate McDonalds (if we were good!), Pizza Hut, Hamburger Helper, Hot Dogs & Mac n cheese, Chef Boyardee.... Dough boys for breakfast if we were good (frozen dough, thawed, deep fried, and topped with butter and syrup).. etc. I knew no better, this was what we ate. It is sad that kids have to grow up on this nutrition deficient, fat/sodium/preservative filled crap because parents don't know or care to do better for them. But, now and then, I did get a sugar filled flinstones vitamin[:/]

Ok, done ranting.

-A

As far as I know people decide what they want to eat. You CAN eat healthy at McDonald's. Hell, they make me sell apples. As for HOOKIT, I'm not in it for the money. If you owned one you would understand that it's not all gravy. I make pennies per sale. I provide a service for people on the go. My kids also love it. They eat it at least once a day and they are fine, healthy, not overweight children. As for PETA, you can tell from the pictures what I think of them.

hehe.. I'm replying to the other post but if you want I'll help you with the pictures. In fact, if you email them to me I'll post them for you. hookitt at yahoo.com

____
Edit:
I lost the post I was writing and i'm hitting the rack. Just so you know rebellogan, I may be the loudest in this thread but I wasn't the one saying it was all about money. That was newbie. My views on the subject stand. but it's not personal in any way.

I was a shift manager for a short time and did part of the books. I know how much money passed through and how much overhead was. It's not gravy but it isn't miniscule either.

Enough

C-ya

I eat meat and I see nothing wrong with eating meat. But the inhumane conditions in which they raise the animals is unforgiveable. It truely makes me sad. :( I'm sorry for you that you do not care.

I totally respect your opinon but don't feel bad for me, I just don't feel a chicken for example is sitting there in that cage thinking" man this sucks" "I gotta get out and run around , thatd make me happy" they'e food...from day one.....and if it keeps the cost down and plenty of food on table it doesn't bother me a bit. And as far as PETA goes they're terroists in my book. ....

"Don't Mess Around With the Guy in Shades- Oh No!!! "