CanuckInUSA

Supersize Me - the movie

I watched "Supersize Me" last night and I have to say that everyone who's ever eaten fast food (that would include yours truly) should also watch it. We all know (at least most of us know) that eating at McDonalds isn't the smartest thing to do, but there was something in the "Bonus" section of the DVD which really disgusted me. The maker of the movie did an experiment in which he placed numerous items from the McDonalds menu (Big Mac, Quarterpounder, Filet-o-fish, MacDs Fries, etc, etc, etc) into their own glass containers and waited months to see what would happen to the food as it broke down all by itself. They also included fries and a burger from a local restaurant in their own containers as well. Not surprisingly the food from the local restaurant broke down way before the McDonalds food broke down. But what was really disturbing is that the McDonalds fries did not break down whatsoever. After about four months, I guess the smell of all this McDonalds crap was just too much to bear and everything was thrown away and the experiment was brought to an end, but the fries looked just as they did the day the experiment started. Dang so if the fries don't break down, one has to wonder if this is really food that McDonalds has been feeding people? Disgusting I say!!! :S

Oh and I did have a nice healthy chicken salad today at lunch from Wholefoods. I'm not saying my days of eating at some fast food restaurants is over and I'm not about to become an instant vegan. But it's time to take more effort into watching the crap that I eat (I'm eating an apple as I write this). How about you?

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Preservatives are what keep the fries looking good.
Plain and simple. It's not magic. Yes, the food is still "real".

Preservatives are in everything. If they were so horrible, everyone would be dead by now. The vegetible section in the grocery stores are sprayed every night with chemicals to keep the food from turning brown to quickly.

Krispee Creme doghnuts don't have any preservatives in them. Problem is, you have to eat the entire box in 48 hrs or less before the doughnuts start to taste like shit!

Preservatives keep the food fresh and allow McDonalds to charge a low price. Give them a break!

#1) McDonald's doesn't deserve a break.

#2) Read Eric Schlosser's Fast Food Nation, then see #1 above. There is an interview with Eric Schlosser in the bonus features on 'Supersize Me' worth checking out. He does a very good job of articulating the problems associated with fast food, among other elements of the American diet.

#3) It is possible to live one's life without eating preservatives. It is, at the very least, easy to start minimizing one's exposure to chemicals whose long-term effects we still know little about by buying organic produce and other goods made without either without preservatives or made with natural preservatives.

You can eat healthy at McDonalds

Well you can eat less badly but I wouldn't say you can eat healthy.. but I'd like to hear how you can eat healthy at McDonalds.

Salad
Ice Berg Lettuce manufactured in a high pesticide environment. Dressin is Cornsyrup. If you use the entire thing of dressing it's the same or more Calories as a big mac.

White Enriched Wheat bread is the only option. High in sugar content for taste.

Cheese food.. not real cheese.

Chicken.. well ... who knows... just eat the piece of chicken that was probably raised in poor conditions, antibiotics and such....

That's about all I have time for because my laptop batter is about out. I'll check back later to see how to eat healthy at McDonalds.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

That's about all I have time for because my laptop batter is about out. I'll check back later to see how to eat healthy at McDonalds.

That's easy. I see it all the time.
Two big macs, supersize fry and a diet coke.

--------------------------------------------------
the depth of his depravity sickens me.
-- Jerry Falwell, People v. Larry Flynt

That's easy. I see it all the time.
Two big macs, supersize fry and a diet coke.

Of course! The zero-calorie diet coke cancels out the rest of the meal's calories. Didn't you know? :D

_Pm
__
"Scared of love, love and aeroplanes...falling out, I said takes no brains." -- Andy Partridge (XTC)

Great movie! Just saw it last weekend myself. I don't eat fast food unless I'm on a roadtrip and there's just no other option and I always end up regretting it because it makes me sick.

Fast food sucks from the amount of garbage they put into it to the amount of garbage it creates.
I know it's cheap and convenient but it's just not worth it in my opinion.

I could go on and on and on about it.

--------------

(Do not, I repeat DO NOT, take my posts seriously.)

Krispee Creme doghnuts don't have any preservatives in them. Problem is, you have to eat the entire box in 48 hrs or less before the doughnuts start to taste like shit!

Heck, when I make my own bread it's pretty much stale by the end of the next day. If I buy a loaf of bread from the store it'll last about a week.

It's silly to automatically assume something is bad for you just because it's not "natural" or isn't pure. People used to drink distilled water because distilling filtered out all the impurities in water, then they started to lose their hair because your body needs those impurities.

I think it's the french fries at McDonalds more than anything. Those suckers are 100% pure yummy fat.

But I usually eat at Subway when I want fast food. It's good wholesome low cal stuff there.

But I usually eat at Subway when I want fast food. It's good wholesome low cal stuff there.

Subway is better than french fries and burgers but it isn't as great as everyone thinks. The ingredients they use are not very fresh. Yah, I know the bread is fresh daily but who cares since it tastes like paper.

It is hard to get a good sandwich at that place.

Shredded lettuce has tons of preservatives. If you didn't have preservatives in shredded lettuce, the lettuce would turn brown in a matter of minutes since it is sliced so thinly.

Watching Supersize Me and reading Fast Food Nation go a long way toward getting people to understand why fast food really is bad for you. I think that a lot of people don't really understand what is meant by "that's bad for you" since there are no instantaneous ill-effects. I mean they don't have explosive diarrhea and aren't barfing up their lunch so what's so bad about it? The problem is that our bodies simply have not evolved to do anything with that shit, which is why we have such high rates of obesity, cancer, diabetes, etc.

Something that I have never understood is advertisements for cheap food. Whenever I see an ad for a $.25 cent taco or burger I think to myself "what the hell did they put in it to get it that cheap".

--- rant over ---

It's funny that you post this considering I own four McDonald's. The media won't tell you about the other two people who did their own show and got got totally different results. You can make anything look any way you want it to I guess.

Logan

well the dude did make his own movie, if the work the other 2 did was worth seeing why don't they produce it even as a public service announcement, or ask McDs to sponsor the production of a different veiwpoint.
They (McDs) spent a shitload of money trying to brighten up their image here in Oz
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I worked at a McDonalds and ate a good amount. I'm happy that you have a thriving business and all but there is no way you'll ever convince me that McDonalds is healthy. Then again you didn't make a claim that it was.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

It's funny that you post this considering I own four McDonald's. The media won't tell you about the other two people who did their own show and got got totally different results. You can make anything look any way you want it to I guess.

Logan

i don't blame you either - if i owned 4 McDonald's and was making a tidy living off them, i would want to keep my head buried in the sand too.

I used to eat a good deal of fast food until i read Fast Food Nation, and i pretty much stopped forthwith.
If people can read that book and continue not feel guilty and contribute to what (mainly) McDonalds, but also BK and KFC do by eating that shit, not only to yourselves from a health perspective, but to the others who are affected by their practices, i don't think you really have much respect for either yourself or your fellow (wo)man.

Then again if money is your driver (either making it, or saving it by buying cheap food) you aren't going to care too much for what is being said on this topic.

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

Shredded lettuce has tons of preservatives. If you didn't have preservatives in shredded lettuce, the lettuce would turn brown in a matter of minutes since it is sliced so thinly.

when I was a teenager I worked at a deli counter. we never sprayed the lettuce or anything else with anything. It didn't turn brown as long as you kept it cool & used it in a reasonable amount of time.
I'm surprised to hear this about preservatives being put on lettuce. Exactly what preservative does McDonalds use on its lettuce?

French fries don't spoil qucikly because they are coated with a preservative. It's called salt.

:P
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

You CAN eat healthy at McDonald's -- but sometimes, why? Some days there is NOTHING better than a burger and fries... YUM. You just don't eat it every day. I don't think its "new" news that fast food is bad for you. And if you have a huge greasy meal, well, you go excercise it off. Its seems pretty simple to me.

And while it is probably better to have a healthy cooked meal, you CAN eat relatively healthy at fast food places -- McDonald's has their salads that are low in fat and light dressing. Also Wendy's has their chili and baked potatos... it can be done.

the whole issue is way more complex than "this is bad for me, but oh well i can run it off later and feel good".

Go read Fast Food Nation. Sure people can tiwst whatever they want into anything they want, which is what the detractors will always say, but this guy spent 5 years researching every aspect of the fast food chain. Without reading the book, you don't get the full picture.

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts