R1DOC

Full face helmet and audible alt. Advice

I just started wearing a FreeZR 2 helmet - I have an audible in each pocket and there's plenty of room for glasses in there (though I don't normally wear them).

Helmet fit (particularly full-face helmets) is a very personal thing, though. Hopefully you'll be able to try on some different models to see what's right for your face/head.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Check out the Pro-Track from L&B http://www.l-and-b.dk/protrack.html

Also Alti-2 has the neptune 2 http://www.alti-2.com/sport/neptune/index.php

But that is to be replaced by the neptune 3 http://www.alti-2.com/sport/N3/index.php IF it ever actually makes it to the market

Also there is the Skytronic GFX http://www.unfeathered.com/skytronicgfx.html but I am less familar with that unit.

Personally I am an L & B fan...but Alti-2 is cool too!!

I would think most (all?) full face helmet would work with glasses, but I am not sure.
"Tell ya the truth, I don't think this is a brains kind of operation."

You really need to try on different helmets to figure out which one works best for you. My glasses do not fit under the helmet I have, but I have tried on different helmets where my glasses fit fine.

The only recommendation I would have for you is to stay away from the helmets that mount the audible on the outside. I have a Oxygen A3 and it mounts my Neptune on the outside. I have broken the Neptune 3 times in the last year and half.

I think the Bonehead Havok might be up youre alley. The entire faceshield flips up and I hear theres plenty of room underneath for glasses. Of course I wear contacts with my Mamba and I like it alot. Do like the others have suggested and try on several types to see which one fits you best. The first place to start probably would be the pro shop at your local DZ.

I have a Mamba that I wear with my glasses, however it isn't a perfect fit. My glasses are rather "square" in that they don't curve at all to fit the line of my brow, so the corners get pressed by the screen when down. The same issue does not exist with gatorz/oakley style sunglasses that curve to fit your face. I've learned to deal with it (being able to see the flags is worth a minute of discomfort).

If you can get a Mamba to work with your glasses, I would highly recommend it. Otherwise I've been told that the Havok is much better with regards to glasses.

As for an altimeter, I find the Optima (audible) and Neptune combo hard to beat. The Neptune is an excellent alti, but with all it's features it's best used as a visual, even though it can be used as an audible. The Optima is a totally awesome audible: it has four banks to store different profiles (wingsuit, big-way, 4-way, free-fly) as well as my favorite feature: canopy alarms. Yes, they're likely meant for swoopers, but you can set them for normal pattern work( beeps at 1000, 600, 300 ft). This has come in very handy when I left my Neptune on the ground.

L&B's logbook+ditter offering is the Protrack which is pretty nice if you'd rather have a mechanical altimeter on your hand, but even it that case I would personally still also get an Optima, as the Protrack doesn't have the canopy alarms (and redundancy is a good thing!).
A dolor netus non dui aliquet, sagittis felis sodales, dolor sociis mauris, vel eu libero cras. Interdum at. Eget habitasse elementum est.

PS: sportrx.com has a wide selection of affordable prescription sunglasses and goggles that would work excellently with the Mamba.
A dolor netus non dui aliquet, sagittis felis sodales, dolor sociis mauris, vel eu libero cras. Interdum at. Eget habitasse elementum est.

Thank's for all the advice. I wish I could try on all the helmets but there is no dropzone near me in Cleveland that has any. I may have to play the shipping/return game until one fits right.

It seems the mamba is popular in alot of your responses. That may be a start. The glasses I wear are oakly half jacket w/ Rx clear lens. It sounds like they should fit well in the helmet. I have heard alot for good things about the havok as well (anybody try one on and able to compare to mamba?).

Also, the L&B protrack and optima seem nice. Do these fit well in the internal pocket w/o discomfort? Is the extra money worth the protrack in your opinion?

Thank's

I have a mamba with a optima in it and can not really tell its there, nice little pocket for it. That is opposed to my Aviator open face helmet, which almost hurts my ear with the optima in it.

Both the protrack and optima are audibles but if you want a freefall logbook you need the protrack. I like to log my jumps as well, but I use an altitrack for the logging portion.

I like my mamba alot, very comfortable, and good customer service from Bonehead as well.

Good luck...
"Tell ya the truth, I don't think this is a brains kind of operation."

I have heard alot for good things about the havok as well (anybody try one on and able to compare to mamba?).

Yah... I've owned both.

The Havok fit my glasses better (and in fact my whole head), but my glasses also fogged up somewhat often under it. In the end I sold it because I was (at the time) spending a lot of time in cramped planes, and it's just -slightly- bulkier than you expect - I kept knocking it on things and got annoyed. The guy I sold it to still jumps it though and seems happy.

The Mamba was good, but much less glasses-friendly even in XXL size. Not to say it couldn't be done, but not as well as the Havok. I wore it for 250 jumps and mostly elected to do without glasses at all.

My vision is getting worse lately though; I think I'm going to move to contacts :P
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Thank's for all the advice. I wish I could try on all the helmets but there is no dropzone near me in Cleveland that has any.

Road trip! When I was helmet shopping, I asked a bunch of people at the DZ if I could try on their helmets, just to get an idea of which I liked, and what size fit me. Plus, I was able to introduce my newbie self to some of the other jumpers. I bought a used Mamba locally that I love. It fits my melon nicely with or without sunglasses.
Burn the land and boil the sea,
You can't take the sky from me.

I dont have a skytronix but I do have an Optima and it fits into the audible pocket so well I dont even know its there until it goes off right when I deploy. (I have it set to go off at 4k when I pull) It fits nicely and I never had any problems with it being uncomfortable in my mamba.

I have to second FreeZR. I have owned one for the last two years and am very happy with it. The face shield has a slight outward curve shape that allows for any type of glasses. The closing mechanism is very secure.

I enjoy the large field of view. Unlike the Z1 where it has a border around the shield, the FreeZR is clear all the way to the helmet.

A bonus, at least to me, as a chick with a small head is the three different shell sizes. I don't look like a bobble head. :D

I would say, of all, stay away from the Oxygen. I have see three, personally open in free fall. One time so hard it broke the face shield in half.

However, these are just my opinions. Try some different models on and find one that fits well and has everything you need.

I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Even the bigger audibles seem OK. I had a Neptune in the Mamba for a little while and didn't notice particularly. Don't think I've seen a GFX up close, however...
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

I have talked to my instructor. He wants me to wait until 20 jumps or so before I use a full face helmet. I'm moving pretty fast toward my A license. I should be able to finish in the next month or so.

Thanks for all the info. guys! I am probably going to go for the mamba at this point. As for audible alt. im going to wait. The new neptune 3 comes out in about a month and I want to check that out first before I make a decision.

I ended up getting the bonehead mamba helmet. I just did 5 jumps with it yesterday and it was great. It is extremely light and the visability was nonobstructive in freefall. It made jumps alot more enjoyable for me. I would highly recommend it as others have. Thanks for all your opinions!!