roostnureye

full face camera helment???

hi im a partially hearing impaired skydiver and am in search of a full face helment that i can put a video camera on, i love the gas from cookie composites but want to know if i can mount a camera to it or any other full face helment. thanks allot
Flock University FWC / ZFlock
B.A.S.E. 1580
Aussie BASE 121

para-gear sells the sidewinder by oxygn, it is a fullface camera helmet.

but if your profile is correct, you should not be flying camera now anyway, minimum reccomendations are 200 jumps before starting. there are lots of posts in the photography section about jumping with a camera too soon, there are guys there with lots of experience and have good reasons why not to.
The Altitude above you, the runway behind you, and the fuel not in the plane are totally worthless
Dudeist Skydiver # 10

Its no problem to get a helmet u can mount a cam on but the sidewinder is a sidemount camera helmet. With some camera helmets that would also be ok but this one the box is built in so in some respects it would be like jumping a camera (less snag hazards of course) all the time. I would imagine riser slaps may be an issue till you get your openings worked out. Its possible you can remove the clamshell that covers the camera until you actually get one, I am not sure. But you need to pick the HC or PC style when you buy it, who knows if the camera will be available when you are ready to jump it so I would buy it now, but then it will be outdated by the time you jump it...uh...uh

Since it may be a bit before actually mount a camera I would just get a normal full face like the Mamba by Bonehead or the Gas by Cookie. I have already seen a very nice setup with a Sony CX100 top mounted on a Cookie Gas, not in a box just mounted on a plate they bolted on.

Personally, I already own 3 helmets, an Aviator, a Mamba, and I just got a FF3 for video. I would just get what you need now and worry about video after you are ready for it, you never know what camera/helmets will come out by then. I know for a fact Bonehead is working on a full face camera helmet that may be released in a few months, but maybe longer.

Also the Sidewinder PC/HC are the only 2 full face camera helmets that I am aware of that are currently on the market.

good luck...
"Tell ya the truth, I don't think this is a brains kind of operation."

thanks man i dont have the "skygod" complex, i just want a helment i can use now and strap on a camera when the time comes, thats what research is for.

haha i love the "skygod complex" yeah i wasnt trying to be a dick, just pointing out the saftey aspect.

Also if you are creative, it would be possible to build a top mount on a full face helmet....just dont expect to be able to open the visor. As humbled said the sidewinder is a side mount made for PC style cameras and are now becoming more outdated with the introduction of HD cameras that are a bit wide to side mount (although can be done)

check out the photography section, lots of pictures of homemade setups by some camera flyers with tons of experience
The Altitude above you, the runway behind you, and the fuel not in the plane are totally worthless
Dudeist Skydiver # 10

A very big problem with fullface camera helmets is that you cannot cut them away, which makes them more dangeroud to jump than other camera helmets and which makes them not allowed in various countries/DZs. I'd think VERy hard before you decide to put a camera on a fullface helmet, the risk is more worth it for AFF instructors and the like than for sport jumpers never mind for camera newbies.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Dragon, just wondering why you cant cut them away, i would have though that if you can cut away the chin strap that holds it on that the helmet would come off... is it likely to get hung up on someones chin or something of that nature?
Dudeist Skydiver # 10

What Dragon means is there is no "cutaway system" on a standard full-face helmet. On most real camera helmets there is the option (tho its becoming a standard from what I have seen) to have a cutaway system where you pull on a ring or cord (like a mini handle) that completely releases one side of the helmet chin strap from the helmet.

One thing I noticed on my FF3 from 2kcomposites is they mounted the actual cutaway system on the side opposite the camera (its a side mount video camera helmet/top mount for still) which make sense to me since it would most likely get tangled on the side with the video camera. I believe alot of time and thought goes into designing today's camera helmets, which is why I suggest using the correct tool for each job!

If a jumper gets his canopy/lines/risers tangled on his camera/helmet the tension would be quite high, it would be very difficult to use a hook knife or such to cut the chin strap. It is possible to "modify" a mamba to put a cutaway on it, but again I would get a real camera helmet when the time comes.
"Tell ya the truth, I don't think this is a brains kind of operation."

hey everyone thanks for all the imput! humbled1 i really appreciate your insight into this, i already own a sony cx100 so i will probably be going for the cookie composites gas helment, i like the new sidewinder2 helment but its not made for the cx100, i heard cookie is in the process of making a box for the cx, guess ill just have to wait. if anyone has seen or has heard rumors on the bonehead fulface let me know, id like a visor that moves and a camera on the side. thanks again!
Flock University FWC / ZFlock
B.A.S.E. 1580
Aussie BASE 121