bradStyle

Container Advice Needed

Hi everybody. I'm getting back into the sport after a 7 year hiatus and am ordering new gear. I need help deciding which of three containers to get, Mirage, Infinity, or Micron. In the past I've owned Vector, Talon, Eclipse, Javelin and Mirage. Of those, Mirage was my favorite. I'm predominately a freeflyer.

Any advice/recommendations/pros/cons pretaining to these three rigs would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

I am particularly fond of the Vector3/Micron for a few reasons. I like the concept of supporting Bill Booth's company. I like the magnetic riser covers, I like the skyhook, in general I think they are nice looking containers if you get the right options.

I don't like rigs that have pop-tops. Shit is always hanging out after awhile, good rigger or not.

Things that annoy me about the vector include having to be on my packer like flies on shit to not fuck up the secondary riser covers. I also dislike the inability to dramatically downsize, but in some rights that's a good thing.

I guess I could say that it's not the most comfortable rig I have tried on, but I think the quality construction and all the other things that go into a vector long out weigh comfort issues.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

I do like the fact that the Vector has the skyhook. Thats a very sweet addition to an already very nice container. However I jump with an Infinity and I like the way the container is comfortable on me especially with the double wide leg straps. I am not a freeflier but I hear that Infinities are good at it because the closing flap is very rugged and doesnt come open prematurely in freefall. Plus you can get a fully loaded Infinity with cut in laterals and stainless hardware for the base price of a Javelin Oddysey without any options. Its up to you but if you are choosing between Micron and VSE you cant go wrong with either of them!

-----------------------------------------------------------
And there has been a 'post your Infinity' thread in this forum that has been around since 2003...its still alive and with over 780 posts and from what I've seen there hasnt been a SINGLE bad commment made about the infinity container system.

I fully agree with FAST. The Vector III or Micron with the Skyhook, the magnet riser covers and the double riser protector flaps really rocks. No rig is more advanced right now on the market. Thanks to the free flyers, I now have an extra magnet on my Vector III and the riser cover fit is perfect.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

I actually own an Icon because I got a good deal on it and it fit good...used of course. Lately I have been reading up on containers and after comparing features/prices I would defintely get a V3/Micron

But for what its worth I like my Icon alot but its the only rig I have actually owned so that may play a part ;)

"Tell ya the truth, I don't think this is a brains kind of operation."

It all ads up to what your personal preference is.
I jump a Vector 3, because i like the feeling of jumping the safest rig out there.
(Its just a feeling, I know, at the end of the day, its not "better" than any other of new harness/containers)

Here in Denmark the most seen rig, I think, is the Javelin/javelin Odyssey.
A lot of people will buy what they see others have.

You say that you like the mirage. Why not go for that again? My friend got a Mirage at the same time I got my Vector and the fast delivery time and the kick-ass rig he got, combined with the awesome customer service by Mirage really makes Mirage great.

I would definately consider Mirage next time I order a new rig.

Blue skies..

NIcolai

Way to argue Sangi.

yourself with 98 jumps and little time in the sport you just state that you disagree without providing any facts, while a 35 year sport veteran with 2000+ jumps and a 2 rigger ratings provides his coherent reasons as to why he thinks something else is superior.

way to win an argument Sangi !

PS those who may not read the BASE forum should know that Sangi was voted close to the top as the most annoying poster there

Maybe you're right, I don't know Sangi, but when he has no arguments, maybe you have some more.

I don't know if Vector is the best rig on the market, but it is sure a good one. Like the mirage and others. The new features from UPT look very interesting.

BASIK has a very interesting concept too and forward-looking features/design. Is it the most advanced on the market? I don't know. :)

I never stated my opinion, because I believe that it's quite subjective. Many may not feel that the extra $$$ for skyhook is necessary, they may have second thoughts about some other features of certain containers.

I have had a Mirage, two Infinities, and two Javelins. I have jumped many others that I thought were fine.

Personally - whichever container I feel is safe and gets me a good deal is what I would be sticking with. When ordering new, 30 weeks+ to wait for a new Javelin or 8 weeks to wait for a Mirage would be a big determining factor as well.

All great rigs.

I've owned three Infinities and I can't say enough great things about the Infinity.

-Elegant & Solid Design - I haven't heard of any complaints or service bulletins
-Excellent Craftsmanship
-Wears well - I have two currently, one with over 500 jumps and one with <10, and I can't tell the difference between the two by looking at them.
-Awesome customer service
-Great Price
-Short turnaround times
www.rhythmskydiving.com

Welcome back!
The only complaint I have with the Mirage is that the manufacturer is too optimistic about how big a canopy it will hold, especially up top. Whatever size reserve you plan to get, tell them you're getting the next bigger size. Your rigger(s) will thank you.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan

way to win an argument Sangi !

Sorry, didn't check his profile, my bad, it just seemed a really bold statement he made at first (thought it was just another fanboy)... However, I'm wondering if he has seen Advance rigs... :$
"Dream as you'll live forever, live as you'll die today." James Dean

That rig looks a copy of the Javelin or/and Wings. What I have never liked with those rigs (personal preference) is that the pilot chute top is apparent. I have seen during the summer when the weather is humid many Javelin or other rigs with apparent pilot chute top have their top less compressed and we could see the pilot chute fabric underneath it. For me that means the fashion was first instead of the design. Are you using a 3 ring release on your rig ? Are you using maybe a throw away pilot chute on your rig ? Well those have been designed by the "inventor" of the Vector namely Bill Booth. And now, you have the Skyhook and the magnets on the riser covers on UPT Vector rigs. It's so good that Javelin offers now the Skyhook, same for Aerodyne and many are following.
Now your rig costs 2090 Euros. It is very expensive for what seems to be a copy. OTOH you can get an original Vector for 2300$ US
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

Although I haven't jumped it yet, I just got my brand new Mirage G4 delivered. I put it on, and it is incredibly comfortable. The padded back and legs feel amazing, and the cut in lateral definitely feel like it will hold it in place.

The delivery time was a large factor in my order...as I wanted it in time for the season. That eliminated Vector, and Javelin, and made the decision much easier. Mirage advertises 6 weeks, but mine was on my doorstep in 4 weeks, 1 day.

I will first preface this with the fact that I am new to the sport and my knowledge is limited. I just got my new mirage G4 in last weekend and did some jumps. It fits like a glove and is extremely comfortable. As with many others delivery time was a big deal to me and although quoted 6 weeks it came in right at 4. The inset laterals are amazing and make it feel rock solid. As a student I jumped Vector SE's, Infinities and Javelin's. 99% chance it is due to being custom fit to me but my Mirage is by far the most comfortable and I am extremely happy with my decision.
Is it bad when I am consistently dreaming about skydiving?

Hi everybody. I'm getting back into the sport after a 7 year hiatus and am ordering new gear. I need help deciding which of three containers to get, Mirage, Infinity, or Micron. In the past I've owned Vector, Talon, Eclipse, Javelin and Mirage. Of those, Mirage was my favorite. I'm predominately a freeflyer.

Any advice/recommendations/pros/cons pretaining to these three rigs would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Whats up bradstlye, glad to hear your making a comeback, I see you in the tunnel tearing it up, so the sky should be an easy transition back;)

In the way of rigs go. Mirage, vector or infinity all are excellent, safe conatiners!! They have their differences but in my opinion Im a fan of Infinity.
First off their infinitys customer service is great, they always make sure your happy with what they are making for you and a plus is right now they have a 4-6wk turn around time. I like the main riser cover design and the main tray design as well. All in all I love how you can barley tell you have a rig on your back when your flying it. I did a season of packing at my home Dz, so Ive had the pleasure of packing almost all the different manufacturers out there. Ive owned a used infinity before but Im having one being made right now B| it should be here in 3 weeks:)