live2dive

How many AFF jumps did it take you???

I did. The original poster is in Minnesota.

Thats completely irrelevant - the guy you were laying the smackdown on says he's from Norway, unless these look like Minnesotan DZ's to you "Østre Æra and Rygge":P

For the record, I repeated 1 level in a 9 level AFF course, so only one screw up but it was a big one, instability (think backloop) as I pulled on level 6. Went up again on the next lift I could get and nailed it. Strangely enough having that kind of mishap made me a lot more confident in the air.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I've passed 7 out of 9 so far, 7 jumps no fails.

Bar my AFF4 (release dive) where I caught the door with my rig, span multiple times throughout the diveflow and dislocated my shoulder on deployment... skydiving has been smooth as butter.

My AFFI even passed that AFF4 :)*I* would not have passed me.

I repeated level 2 :S

By the way, if you're spending fortunes on failed AFF dives, why not get some tunnel time? I spent 4 minutes in the tunnel between level 4 and 5 and it made a world of difference. I was a tense and struggling on level 4, flying and having fun on level 5. Try to find some deals and you can save some money AND progress at the same time.

How many jumps does it take the average person to completely pass the AFF course? I feel that if I don't complete my AFF course soon that I should just quit. I feel real passionate about the sport but I feel crappy about how many attempts this is taking me. I guess I'm just wondering how many others have been in the same boat or if I'm the only one.

Thanks

Like mny others have said, who cares?
You should concentrate on having fun skydiving. Completing the tasks will follow.

I'm a staticline studnet myself; I made my first freefall at jump 11, but wasn't "cleared off student status" until my 91st jump when I obtained my A licence.
So I was slow. Not only because I just couldn't figure out that bloody tracking (took me over ten jumps), but also because I was having fun. We all have a bottleneck at some point. Don't worry about it, try your best and concentrate on the stuff that did go right.
Made a nice PLF maybe? Flew an excellent pattern? Landed in the peas? Had a textbook exit?

And of course, if you want to train some before anext jump get some tunnel time in. It takes some getting used to (or tunnelflying was another bottle neck for me) but you'll learn a lot.
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

I just finished today. Woo hoo!! I did my first tourist tandem and then completed AFF in 10 jumps. Not too bad considering I started in late November and had two 5 week and one 8 week periods without jumps. It was a fantastic day, by the way.B|B|B|B|B|

"safety first... and What the hell.....
safety second, Too!!! " ~~jmy

POPS #10490

I just finished today. Woo hoo!! I did my first tourist tandem and then completed AFF in 10 jumps. Not too bad considering I started in late November and had two 5 week and one 8 week periods without jumps. It was a fantastic day, by the way.B|B|B|B|B|

Great Job!

Maybe I am a little confused. I had to put in 25 jumps to get my A lic. I had 7 AFF jumps, 1 Hop and Pop, 2 Solo's, 10 Coach Jumps, 4 Solo's and than I got my A lic. Also, my first tandem skydive counted. Isn't it standard across USPA drop zones?

Oh, the tandem counts in total jumps, but I was purely a tourist on that jump. I still have to do more jumps to get my A, of course, but the question was about completing AFF, not getting your A license.
"safety first... and What the hell.....
safety second, Too!!! " ~~jmy

POPS #10490

Oh, the tandem counts in total jumps, but I was purely a tourist on that jump. I still have to do more jumps to get my A, of course, but the question was about completing AFF, not getting your A license.

Oh I see. I apologize for misunderstanding. Great Job on getting the AFF part out of the way! :)

I agree.
This thread should not be about bragging.

Different DZs have different levels of strictness for passing AFF

Different instructors are the same (where one will let something questionable slide, but another will fail you.)

Therefore there is no bragging rights in passing AFF fast IMHO. Because the playing field is not level. Apart from the fact that 'its NOT a race' :D

And as some posters have said. A guy or girl could take a while to pick freefall, exits and drills up, but turn out to be a far more talented or even a world class skydiver a few years down the line.

IT took me 10 but i was a bonehead on my first few, I use to jump back in the 80's and i was use to my pc being on my leg so my hand kept wanting to go there instead of the BOC. It's all cake now. The nain problem now is where I jump I just need my check dive for my A but they are a bit short staffed.