live2dive

How many AFF jumps did it take you???

Ever since my first jump I have been hooked on skydiving. My only problem is that I'm always coming up short on my D2 (Level 5 at most other DZ's) jump. I currently have made 9 AFF jumps. I had to repeat D1 once but I am going on my 5th attempt on trying to pass my D2. I was mainly having problems with my turns, so I flew down to Orlando for two 15 minute sessions with a coach. I feel much better about my turns but I still need to work on getting my legs out more and keeping them from moving around so much.

How many jumps does it take the average person to completely pass the AFF course? I feel that if I don't complete my AFF course soon that I should just quit. I feel real passionate about the sport but I feel crappy about how many attempts this is taking me. I guess I'm just wondering how many others have been in the same boat or if I'm the only one.

Thanks

I finished mine in 7 jumps. I have heard stories of people ranging from 7 to over 45. I have to say, if you like to skydive then don't give up because it doesn't matter how many it takes you but how many you are willing to take. Not to mention you always seem to be in a good mood and that is all that really counts.
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

I was a particuarlly bad AFF student. i repeated level 4 four times and level 5 four times. I long ago posted my stores here

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=855344;search_string=reginald%20aff%20stories;#855344

And a few years later I'm a pretty decent 4 way guy and good AFFI, I've done 80 way skydives and had a great time all along.

I think its the people that struggel a little in AFF that appreciate the sport more than those that breeze through it.

My advice, if you want to skydive do it! Don't let a few little setbacks keep you down.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

I dont know how the USPA grade it but our AFF consists of 8 levels in the UK (level 8 being the hop n pop) then 10 consolidation jumps to get your A.

I got my "A" in 18 jumps but right at that exact time i'd lost my job and couldnt even afford the 10 quid to send off for my license....so when i was working again and went to jump i had to do another level 7 which i actually really really enjoyed doing with an instructor, everything done nice and high and just dorked at the instructor with a few thumbs up and stupid grinning face.

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

7 (no fails) but I also squeezed a tandem in between #1 and #2 because I couldn't solo due to student wind limits.

The DZ where I learned Skydive Dallas put in a lot of effort on the ground to ensure you developed the right response in the air and passed the level, and this was in part due to their "Skydive University" based curriculum (Rob Laidlaw's teaching methods). I'm sure the ground based physical teaching methods they used helped me pass those levels where other approaches would have seen me fail.

I have my suspicions that some DZs out there are less efficient than they could be in training & passing students through AFF levels.

That time in the wind tunnel won't be wasted. Don't give up, some day you'll be enjoying $20 jumps and your AFF will be a fond memory.

You should try to enjoy AFF it can be some of the most fun you'll ever have skydiving.

Many people take many more jumps than you have so far to get through AFF and acquire the first license. However, you do not have to contemplate quitting unless your instructor has suggested that you do so (aka the Take Up Bowling/Golf speech).

The peer pressure and pride can become hard to handle (I know from personal experience) but just get through it. Student performance is not necessarily an indicator of your future performance once licensed. Who knows, you may be the next world champion formation skydiver/ freeflyer/ swooper, etc.

Don't worry about it. Know how many AFF jumps it took me to get off student status? Nope....Well I am not gonna tell ya either. It does not matter.

Just focus on your mission and do not get concerned with the setbacks. It is for fun and once you get a few thousand jumps, no one cares how many AFF jumps it took.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Don't worry about it. Know how many AFF jumps it took me to get off student status? Nope....Well I am not gonna tell ya either. It does not matter.

Oh, now I gotta know! I'm betting 18! ;)
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

Hey! On the positive side, all it means is that you get to do more jumps with and instructor!

WooooHoooo!

Keep at it as long as you enjoy it. Training is not a goal, it's a journey...a career-long journey.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I did only 1 for each level. But, i had done 5-6 tandems since 94, with friends, just for fun and that made me real comfortable in the air once i started my training.

Dont forget, jumps are like pizza & sex, even when theyre bad, theyre still pretty good :)
At least youre skydiving !! Enjoy it. Who cares if you have to do things over...
-Rainier

Sparks Brother #1 // "I vaguely heard someone yell "wait!" but by that point i was out the door." Quote from dz.com somewhere

Congratulations!! on your progress I'm going to perris on October 12 to try to finish AFF from level 4 now that I read all posts let me tell ya that I feel some pressure I want to pass every level hope I do all right I don't have that much money haha and still paying for my trip.

I'll vouch for someone at the dz who doesnt get on here. He has 50 or 60 aff jumps and still hasn't gotten on solo status. I think he's on level 4.

on the other side of training... I got off student status in 20 static line jumps

60 AFF jumps???? That's nuts.