Katinka

Z1 full face ~ hard to open?

I have a new one too, just gotta open it and close it a bunch of times on the ground and then it gets easier to open once you are under canopy. the locking button on it is really stiff brand new (i believe it even mentions it in the instructions :)

The Altitude above you, the runway behind you, and the fuel not in the plane are totally worthless
Dudeist Skydiver # 10

I also found it difficult with gloves on to open it, no gloves not to much of a problem. I ended up going with a Bonehead Mamba and really like the latch on it.
We're not fucking flying airplanes are we, no we're flying a glorified kite with no power and it should be flown like one! - Stratostar

guess I'm unique? just use two hands, one for the locking button, the other to lift the visor. on either cheek there is a little bit of a lip where the bottom of the visor runs, lift there with the non-button pushing hand. ;)

edit- and it is better to be hard to open than tough to lock, esp if you start freeflyin'

So there I was...

Making friends and playing nice since 1983

My new Z-1 was a pain to open till I tried this:
using one hand, hold the button down with your index finger, then squeeze the visor around the button using your thumb and middle finger. Should pop right out. It works for me using gloves as well

Yeah, but like the others it got a bit easier after a while. Just need to push the button hard enough, which i personally find easier with gloves on (because fingernails don't get in the way).
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

Yeah, that's one of the few things that I don't like about the Z1s, but fortunately there's an easy fix. Use a file or grinder to carefully remove a little of the plastic on the chin section between the button and the rivet that attaches the button spring to the chin section. That gives enough room to get your thumb under the visor for easy one-handed operation, even with gloves. I've done that on three of these helmets. Works great!

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan

I had trouble with mine but it is now not a problem...just takes time to break it in I guess.
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

Has anyone else here had this issue with a skystems Oxygen?

Mine is a complete bi*ch to open...even after quite a lot of use...

Its a great locking system for freefall...but under canopy it can be a real pain to get the visor up, especially if youve got other issues to deal with, such as a mal....

I had the same problem mate, this is what I did.
Take a color co-ordinated (natch) push pin. Hold the steel part in your drill chuck, and file down the part that you 'push' on 'til you have a base, and a
'long' part.
Then grip the long part in your chuck, apply epoxy to the steel and the underside of the 'base'...
Now the good bit,.. drive the pin into the visor about a half inch below the latch hole, until flush.
After the glue sets Dremmel off the excess pin.....Voila!! Mine's been good for about 11 years now.........I know, I've got too much time on my hands. haha :)

I have used an oxygen for about 6 years , I never had a problem in opening it even with gloves , I do not wear thick gloves.
It has opened by itself about 4 times when doing hybrids while looking up for the hanger , but easy to close. I just adjust how far I raise my chin. ;)

I had the same problem mate, this is what I did.
Take a color co-ordinated (natch) push pin. Hold the steel part in your drill chuck, and file down the part that you 'push' on 'til you have a base, and a
'long' part.
Then grip the long part in your chuck, apply epoxy to the steel and the underside of the 'base'...
Now the good bit,.. drive the pin into the visor about a half inch below the latch hole, until flush.
After the glue sets Dremmel off the excess pin.....Voila!! Mine's been good for about 11 years now.........I know, I've got too much time on my hands. haha :)

Reminiscent of Navin Johnson's eyeglasses handle....:D

other - never had an issue opening a Z1 - one handed, with or without gloves, etc -

thumbnail (or thumb glove seam or whatever) on the visor's edge below the button, forefinger on the button.

Forefinger pushes the button, thumb lifts the visor.

The motion is like grabbing your lower lip and pulling it up over your face.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Thanks for all the input folks. The consensus seems to be work it! I hoped to get more input at the dz but too windy last weekend. Hopefully this weekend!

I do wonder about the screw thingies on the sides, might mean the visor fit is adjustable. No instructions came with helmet and so far, no answer from Parasport.

Still...rather have it stay closed than fly open :D

peas, out.