Gato

Poised Exits: How Do YOU Do Them?

This past weekend I did my 3rd and 4th full-altitude jumps (from a C-182 at 9500') and attempted poised exits on both. Although I get stable fairly quickly, and the rest of the jump goes well, I swim like a freak off the step. On my last 20-second delay, I had a perfect exit, beautiful and relaxed, hanging off the strut. I'd been wishing for poised exits since day one, because hanging seemed so scary at first, so it really stings that I'm boning these exits (4 so far.)

Before anyone screams, "RELAX!!!" - I know that's the standard reply, and I'm doing my best to make that happen. The problem, I feel, is also connected to something I'm really unsure of: the actual physical motion for a correct poised exit.

By that, I mean, does one hop off to the side, step backward, or just let go of the strut? I tried looking for the answer in a search, but I didn't see this question answered outside of, "Watch the plane fly away," or, "Relax and you'll get it."

So help me out, here - how does a person make a textbook poised exit, and what exactly gets your foot off the step?
T.I.N.S.

I go poised of the 182 all the time though I prefer to hang when flying a 4-way. So the way I was "taught" to go off the setp is:

Lightly rest hands on the strut and get all the way outboard on the step.

Dangle your right foot off step.

I give a count with my right leg (aft, forward, aft) and on that third movement with my right leg swinging backward, I sort of hop off the step with my left leg. (Dont hop up, hop off)

Dont push out with the arms but release the aircraft and let it fly away from you.

Then you have to fly the relative wind that is comming from your front (the prop) until you get off the hill. The attached pic is from a jump where I was poised and he's hanging taken at exit. You should look just like this after you come off the step and onto the hill. He's relaxed, arching and flying the relative wind which is comming from the prop or the left side of the picture. Both hands are up like he's flying belly to earth but he's flying the wind comming into his chest. So he's just really floating but delaying the transition to the belly to earth position. Notice the chin is up and he's focused forward at the line of flight.

I initially had some trouble with all of this because I was kicking both legs out which put me face to earth quickly. You don't want to do this. You want to let the aircraft fly away and you fly the hill so you sort of slide down it backwards, if that makes sense.

Hope this helps you.

edit to include boilerplate phraseology about "never seeing you in an aeroplane much less poised outside said craft and I'm not an instructior so you should find one at your DZ to run the above by first. Skydiving is a dangerous activity and should only be done by those with proper training who wear tinfoil caps...blah, blah, blah."
It's called the Hillbilly Hop N Pop dude.
If you're gonna be stupid, you better be tough.
That's fucked up. Watermelons do not grow on trees! ~Skymama

What follows is probably not helpful to you… it is purely the product of a brain turned to mush by too much 4-way RW team jumping and too little fun jumping.

Poised exit??? I don’t even remember. For most of my exits from Otter or Caravan I just swing my butt out the rear of the door… jam myself in the doorway with my head or elbow on the inner edge of the doorway (Otter = head, Caravan = elbow), grasp the leg grippers of the inside and outside centers (one with each hand), trail my forward leg out the door, smile at the inside center (I can’t nod my head if I am head jamming), watch for the key… AND FALL STRAIGHT DOWN OUT THE DOOR. I arch deeply and do my best to anchor the formation on the hill.

In other words… There will be a day soon when you will very comfortable getting out the door in any number of ways… Be patient and keep jumping!

You will note that with only 20 months of jumping and only 200 jumps, I am already unable to recollect what a geek I was during my first poised exits. (Perhaps I have simply repressed those embarrassing memories.):$

(Here is a trivia question for the smart-alecks in the crowd… What is my slot and what are we launching?)

The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

A poised 182 exit does tend to involve a step that goes both backwards, and optionally off to the side, keeping the chest forward, body inclined maybe 30 degrees from the vertical as one gets into freefall.

I don't know how to teach a poised exit, but some ideas are:

Like buff suggested, it goes easier with only the left foot on the step.

One has to find a balance, a combination of forces when pushing off with both arms and legs, so that one doesn't pitch backwards or forwards.

Too much pushing off with the arms pushes one into a backloop off the step.

This also happens if the feet get "stuck" on the step, when one's weight distribution isn't right, and one can't easily hop one's foot off. (E.g., if both feet are on the step and one is leaning back too much, body too vertical.) Someone else can probably explain it better.

Too much pushing off with the legs relative to the arms kicks the legs out too far and puts one belly to earth, which isn't what one wants while still travelling forward with the plane.

Normally there's no problem with hitting one's head on the underside of the wing, if one steps off and arches as one leaves. It only happens to those who get it out of order, arching first before stepping off.

Too weak an exit can leave one's face close to the step, but that's usually just an issue for first jump students who pretty much just let themselves collapse on exit and lose all muscle tension.

When departing the aircraft use as little effort as needed to get you safely away. Any energy you put in has the potential to make you unstable if it is not acting thru your center of mass. A very important thing (which was alluded to above) is to assume your normal flying position as soon as possible after departing the aircraft. Then try doing nothing for a count of 2 or 3. Trying to move on the hill tends to cause problems at first. When you get it you will enjoy!

Disclaimer: I only have 34 jumps and I don't know crap. TTYI

Why do people step backward when leaving the step?!

I watched some videos of 182 hop-n-pop exits last year before I ever had an idea that I would one day jump from a 182. After watching people get unstable in several different situations, I asked myself the same question then too...why would you ever step off toward the back?!

I've only done one 182 exit, and my instruction prior to that jump was to get my left foot on the step, hold the strut, step off, stay stable, and deploy. Easy enough. Because my mind wasn't full of too many "thou shalt always" or "thou shalt never" 182 commandments on how to step off, I analyzed the step off carefully before exiting. Here's why I didn't step backward.

If you step backward, you are leaving the step with your body out of symmetry. I don't mean that it isn't just centered on the relative wind, I mean that it isn't symmetrical. Does stepping toward the back somehow help you in a way that I haven't thought of yet? Do some planes have huge tires or something that you have to clear? I know that stepping of toward the back puts your head closer to the stabilizer...but that's not a benefit (in my book).

Here's how I did my sole 182 exit. I might use the word "you", but I'm not saying that anyone should ever do what I do (TTYI). Left hand on the door frame, right hand on the strut, right foot on the step, add left foot on the step, left hand on the strut, right foot off the strut and into the air beside the step (not behind), both knees bent slightly, weight over your knees, right hand off the strut (and onto the invisible strut symmetrical to your left hand position). Then, I did what might be best described as a jumping jack with my legs. This can actually be practiced. Just draw a 182 step on the ground and practice that side-step jump. When your feet hit the ground, they should hit at the same time, a line between them should be parallel to your jump run, and your left foot should be outside the step outline by a comfortable distance. When I say side-step jump, I don't really mean a "jump". Just clear the ground (step) enough to get your foot outside the step outline...don't think about jumping up. Arms don't push, pull, or shove the airplane. You just let go with your hands and move your arms symmetrically into a good arch position. Because your right leg will be out into the air just a little bit before your left foot leaves the step, lightweight folks may see a bit of torque. Don't worry about it. If you hold a good wide-stance arch, that torque should be dampened after about 1 cycle.

Anyhow, that's how I did it. Video on youtube at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MWo8a3WNOA, so you can judge for yourself and help me understand any points I may be missing on my method.

- David

SCR #14809

"our attitude is the thing most capable of keeping us safe"
(look, grab, look, grab, peel, punch, punch, arch)

Yeah, I know you said not to post this but it was only a matter of time before somebody did:P:P:PRELAX!!!

You got some very good advice from posters above and one thing to add is to keep your head up and follow the plane after exit. After you've got a nice stable launch from the techniques explained above, arch and relax and feel the wind. Feeling how the wind flows around your body will help develop the skills you need to control your body by manipulating the flow of the wind around it...

I swim like a freak off the step.

And if you're swimming, you're not relaxed;)
I got nuthin

Poised exits are similar to hanging exits, you just don't climb all the way out.
Balance with your hands on the strut, left foot on the step and right leg starting to arch. The farther you get your face (sideways) past the wheel, the less the risk of a face-plant.
Chin up.
Step gently SIDEWAYS off the airplane and push your hips forward. The less muscle you use, the more graceful the exit.
Keep your chin up to watch the airplane fly away.

Advice about relaxing is a bit deceiving.
Muscles on the front of your body (abs, pectoralis, hip flexors, etc.) should be relaxed by breathing or giggling.
OTOH most of the muscles on your back (neck, latimus dorsi, loer back, ham strings, etc.) should be tightened to emphasis the arch.

Rob Warner
Static-line jump-master since 1982

One thing that helped me alot when I was having issues with poised exits the first few times was to learn to look at the plane. In fact the first time my instructor held up a number of fingers after i came off the step and i was supposed to tell him how many he held up. If you are trying to continue to watch the aircraft it will almost force you to arch. relaxing does help quite a bit too. ;)

You are jumping off the plane, not flying. You are in the mindset of stepping off something (you have stepped off of MANY things in your life on the ground) which leads to using flailing arms to try and regain balance. You just need to practice it more so you can learn to step off and then fly rather than step off and try to regain balance using techniques ingrained in your head from being on the ground.

The hanging exits came much easier because you most likely haven't hung off a lot of things and dropped down on the ground and the times that you were doing that you most likely didn't have to regain balance till you were back on the ground or interacting with the ground (cause most falls are not that far or you would get hurt)

So, it's just practiced muscle memory that is causing you to do that. Go up there and exchange that ground knowledge with air knowledge. You will relax a whole lot more by doing it a bunch more and it will just work out. Kind of a just go do it mentality. You said you are able to get stable right away too after a few seconds, so that's one less thing to fear!

Have fun!
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

I was a s/l student, and learned how to do each of the four slots on exiting a 182. My advice...if you haven't already done so, get some "other aircraft" jumps in, whether it be an Otter, Skyvan, PAC750, ect.

I didn't really understand "relative wind" and "prop wash" until I exited a different aircrat than the one(s) we have at "home". I learned a shit ton from doing some Otter exits (door on other side, no step/crotch/strut).

That's just speaking from personal experience. Maybe that's not your "problem", but it might help you. I'm still a newbie so take it for what it's worth.

Just be safe.

the climb out is crucial to a proper poised exit...

... and the best tool to use for that??????

your EYES...

Look exactly where your feet are going.

I always watch my foot or feet , as they are going to the step...
of course I have a hold of the strut. but that is done by feel. Stay low, so that your rig is not smacking against the door which is folded up against the underside of the wing...I know that is tough for a tall person.. but it's important...
TAKE your time....
Don't move like a slug... but do Not rush either....
years ago when mains were round, and the "spot" was crucial.. jumpers were sometimes rushed off the plane, by the JM, before they were mentally and physically ready..
today the range for the spot is greater and " getting back" isn't so much an issue...

Now once you are nicely ON the step, THEN shift your view Up and forward, , or else Up and inward, to stay in synch with others who may be giving you an exit command, or who may be joining you on the dive...

Now your attention shifts from staying Attached to the plane, to preparing to " DeTatch" from the plane.

balance is needed, and you have to be READY,,,
for the departure... Breathe, concentrate, alert yourself to the next move , which is to 'disconnect' from the aircraft...

head Up left foot only on the step, flex in your left knee,,, leave this poised position , with your foot breaking contact, a split second before your Hands press the strut away from you... kick off about 45 degrees to the right, and the rear. It helps me to load my arms,,, thereby unloading the weight on my left leg ,,, just as it's time to go...B|

Since it's a real cool visual,,,;):)Be sure to SEE those in the door , who are waving at you, B| or maybe flipping you off!!! :o:P;) or maybe EVEN taking your picture...:ph34r:B|

For that first split second at exit... you almost wanna be like a bedsheet on a clothesline, in the wind,,, attached by your hands, but about to fly free....

Eyes eyes eyes,,,,, from the moment the door opens,,, they are your best friend...If you need more time, ask that the door be opened earlier.. Then DO look Out and DOWN,, check the spot... be sure you are where you expect to be, look for traffic...

Poise..... one of the best traits to have, during any jump, from gear up, through boarding, during the exit and skydive all the way until landing and safely exiting the area....;)

jmy

...a line between them should be parallel to your...

Change that to: "...a line between them should be perpendicular to your..."
SCR #14809

"our attitude is the thing most capable of keeping us safe"
(look, grab, look, grab, peel, punch, punch, arch)

The simplest thing you can do is to just look UP at the plane as you leave. Looking up pulls your head back and your spine will follow in a natural arch.

That was how I learned to get my poised exits under control in my studcent days. Once I tried it, my exits went from awful to wonderful and started moving up quickly in my student progression.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

That's part of the plan for this weekend - to just hop off and watch the plane leave.

Fortunately, I did nail 2 diving exits last weekend, and that seems to have eased some of the tension. I think part of my problem has been not being able to see where I'm going, and trying to counteract my body's natural tendency to search for something to hold onto, hence the flailing about like a freak.

I think it's going to be a great weekend - I'm getting sooooo close to finally getting my A License. Can't wait to jump my own rig!
T.I.N.S.

I don't think I've done a poised exit since I was doing coached jumps for my A-license (and two ways). Sad really. Exits is something I need to get in gear and actually do right.
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

I REALLY NEED to get them to get them together, because I burn off so much altitude getting stable after a bad exit; gotta milk that freefall time!

In that case, yea definitely! I manage to just throw myself out and I'm always immediately stable. It doesn't take long to get so used to it that you can do that I guess.

It's another story when you're doing balloon or helicopter jumps though.
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

Bejeezus, David. You cut yourself short. You're the most heads-up young jumper I've ever met...bar none.

Yeah, yeah, I know...one way to prevent the 34-jump wonder flamers getting started, eh? What they don't know....
:D:D:D
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

ive never posted on dz.com before but having the same problem maybe i can help a little (i'm no pro ) .i used to try the standard exit ,left foot on step, right foot trailing,chest on strut push up, down,up and step backwards.if you use your arms to much to push off the strut you will most likely backflip,if you try to lean forward and dont step back far enough you can hit your shoulder on the step. what works best for me is left foot on strut ,right foot trailing, get out as far as you can ,try to be standing almost straight up (not leaning on strut )then just side step and arch ,head back(try to keep looking at plane )you dont need to hop off step its more like moving your left foot off the step to exit .if you backflip try to straighten your legs a little to catch the wind . i was nervous about having to do my hop&pops but when you get this exit down right wou'll love them . this exit is also nice when you do a 2 or 3 way off a c-182 as it gives you a litte extra room as you slide down the hill.hope this helps a litttle like i said im no pro. p.s. take your time and relax, its fun

Exit, look at the wing and try to put your pelvis on the wheel. You won't be able to, but the attempt will put you into a good position for a poised exit.

I've been following this thread since I'm interested, and I'm trying to visualize this, since my first image was after I stepped off aiming for the wheel, and I saw myself backflipping.

So rewind, and we're talking about the exit. I'm standing on the step with my left foot, right foot dangling, and I'm grabbing onto the strut, Ready-Set-Go, and I've slipped my left foot off the step, and I'm looking up at the wing, and trying to hit my crotch on the step.

I like it. Might explain why I'm usually fighting against a backflip.