ikebonamin

Help needed. Pd Reserve vs Optimum

Hello!
Could anyone be kind enough to let me know what are the main differences ( other than pack vol.) between these two reserves made by PD. I'm about to get a new one, and I'm not sure which one to choose from. I've been reading a lot of stuff, and still can't decide.
Thank you so much.
Ike
ps: I'll either choose a optimum 160 sqft or a pdr 143 sqft.

I'd go with the optimum 160 because it's bigger (assuming your profile is correct). But aside from size, they are both great reserves. The optimum has a better flare, more like a sport canopy, but the regular PDr flares fine too. You can't go wrong with either model, so to me, it comes down to the ability to fit a bigger optimum in the same rig.

By the way, after demoing an optimum for a weekend (and using it for freefall camera jumps), I wanted one as a main.

Dave

While having less pack volume, the Optimums are also

- More expensive
- Have a higher weight rating

If you don't mind the price premium of the Optimum, then jumping a larger reserve is better than jumping a smaller one.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Guys,

I am trying to buy one Optimum 160 here in Brazil, and the information I got is that we still do not have any TSOD for these Optimum size. What does this means? Which are de main differences between the PDR 143 and the new Optimum 160? Are there any cons regarding the Optimum 160?

Thanks for your support.

I am going to offer a contrary opinion. Get a regular PD reserve. They are a proven mature product that has a great track record for reliability, strength and longevity. Knowing PDs track record, I am confident the Optimum will fare well long term, but the regular PDR has aready done so.

The Raven Dash M reserve was supposed to be a big improvement over the Raven II, but it had some problems after commercial release. I don't think the Optimums will have problems that only show up after a while in general use, but you never know.

The regular PD reserve is cheaper too.

Don't misinterpret my advice as being anti innovation or anti PD. I owe my life to my PD 193R and am a big fan. I just think if you have a choice on emergency gear, go conservative, go proven, go behind the cutting edge not on it.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

My input:

Last Christmas, I was down in ZHills and PD showed up for the boogie. I was doing my first wingsuit jumps and needed a non eliptical canopy. I demoed a Sabre2 135 from Sunshine factory the first day, then the next day I demoed an Optimum 143. Yes...for wingsuit jumps!

The canopy opens great... I would willingly jump it as a main without question. Wingsuit jumps worked great with the Optimum. I have an unplanned ride on a PD-R 143, and 5 or 6 jumps on the Optimum. The Optimum definately flares better and flies nicer. I don't recall the opening on the PD-R, aside that it did open.

I agree with the fact that the PD-R is proven, but in the same respect, I'm sure PD modeled the Optimum after the PD-R, so the "general" design/workmanship/technology is the same behind it all. Bonus for the Optimum...pack volume. You can now get a bigger reserve for that added safety.

I bought a new rig last fall, and was planning to buy a PD-R 113... 113 as a reserve was a bit chilling for me at that point, so I decided to go with the Optimum 126.

POint and case...I liked it, I felt safer having a slightly bigger reserve....and I like it. Either way, if any reserve fails....there isn't a "warranty" anyways...
"When once you have tasted flight..."

I have several jumps on both canopies, using them as mains (which is what everyone should do).

There is a huge difference in the two. The Optimum has been completely redesigned. It's not just a PDR with low bulk material. It's has awesome flight characteristics and a powerful flair.

Also, I have first hand knowledge that the Optimums that travel with the PD Tour rep have at least 100 jumps on them and they are holding up just fine.

I am in the process of changing out my PDR for the Optimum.

After what could be a very high speed main malfunction and possible low reserve opening with a long spot and then landing in some guy's back yard along with the pucker factor...... I know which reserve I want over my head. Regardless of the cost.
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

I just did three jumps on a pd optimum 176r. I was very pleased with the opening and the way the canopy flew and responded to toggle input. It has a very powerful flare. I normally jump a spectre 190 main and I have the old firelite 176 reserve. After doing the three demo jumps I ordered the optimum 176 reserve. It is exactly what I want over my head if I have to chop my spectre.
Mike Sanes