denete

Finger in the tube trick on deployment

Last time out to the DZ, I went to deploy and stuck my finger in the deployment handle (tube type).

After my microsecond of panic, I pulled it out and deployed. A search here came up with the suggestion of filling the tube with cork.

Any thoughts on doing this (pros/cons), or what the best method would be to hold it in place? I was thinking compression of the cork then insert it and let it swell. I don't like the idea of adhesives just because of how they might chemically affect the tape that attaches the handle to the pilot chute...but of course I'm no chemist. "Great Stuff" or other expanding foam came to mind as well. Yes, I could switch to {insert your preferred handle type here}, but I wanted to see about trying to improve my current setup.

And by the way, what do you call the tube type handle? The others all have catchy names like "pud", "hackey", and "monkey's fist".
SCR #14809

"our attitude is the thing most capable of keeping us safe"
(look, grab, look, grab, peel, punch, punch, arch)

I've never seen anybody try to fill the tube. What first comes to mind is cover the ends in gaffer's tape. Easier than most of what you suggested.

It really is fairly trivial to change the handle. Monkeyfists are fairly cheap on ebay.

But, as you've found out it's no big deal. Just leave it until your ready to change it.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

So if this happens so often why are those things still being used?

It was designed because of a glitch in the skydiver genetic blueprint...a problem that's being sorted out the most cost effective way possible. :)

We're thinning the herd of skydivers with 'tiny' hands & skinny 'fingers'...B|

~if ya get my drift! :P

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Insert cork then gaffer tape it up. Or stop inserting finger LOL.

It's still a safer deployment handle than a hackey; easier to get interesting mals from a hackey or other "big" handle that can knot up the pilotchute/bridle esp. when wingsuiting but also on regular jumps.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

So if this happens so often why are those things still being used?

It was designed because of a glitch in the skydiver genetic blueprint...a problem that's being sorted out the most cost effective way possible. :)

We're thinning the herd of skydivers with 'tiny' hands & skinny 'fingers'...B|

~if ya get my drift! :P

and PVC pipe is cheap, even free if ya know where to steal it :P.
JewBag.
www.jewbag.wordpress.com

Last time out to the DZ, I went to deploy and stuck my finger in the deployment handle (tube type).

Been there, done that. As it was already told use some tape and cover the hole.

Could always just jump with mittens. :)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Never had any trouble with it except when I was jumping for the first time with leather gloves, with a clear and pull from 3500 feet. Put almost my whole thumb in the tube, took me a second to get it out and grab the tube again.

Normally I just grab it at the side, I grab the tube a lot of times before the jump, it's kinda baked in and maybe it helps not to get my fingers in it.

Been there, done that. As it was already told use some tape and cover the hole.

Could always just jump with mittens. :)

they're great, especially on those cold winter days.. :P

i learned on the tube-thingies. i now have a hackey. on my next (next-)rig i want one of those puds. i prefered the tube over the hackey actually, they're good and easy to grab, but too much snag-potential in my eyes, moving around in the plane and stuff.. the hackey has to be stuffed in quite well, and that makes it hard(er) to locate i think. and after having a premature and getting the pouch replaced and relocated more under the container to keep it from flapping around, its even harder.. :|
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

(The tube is) still a safer deployment handle than a hackey; easier to get interesting mals from a hackey or other "big" handle that can knot up the pilotchute/bridle esp. when wingsuiting but also on regular jumps.

I'd like to know where you got this information. I'd also like to know how you pack your PC if you have experienced a wrap of the bridle with the handle.
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

i prefered the tube over the hackey actually, they're good and easy to grab, but too much snag-potential in my eyes, moving around in the plane and stuff..

There is a chance to have a knot from your hackey with the bridle over the PC. You may search for those pictures.

"and PVC pipe is cheap, even free if ya know where to steal it :P.

"

Old thread spools are even cheaper!

The first handles (for throw-out pilot chutes) were cut down from empty thread spools.

Eventually, we figured out that thread spools were too brittle and switched to move flexible/durable PVC pipe.

Some manufacturers (e.g. Strong Enterprises) wrap PVC pipe in Cordura to eliminate the possibility of sticking a digit in it.

(The tube is) still a safer deployment handle than a hackey; easier to get interesting mals from a hackey or other "big" handle that can knot up the pilotchute/bridle esp. when wingsuiting but also on regular jumps.

I'd like to know where you got this information. I'd also like to know how you pack your PC if you have experienced a wrap of the bridle with the handle.

Not so much packing as burble. Search around there are a few pictures floating around on this forum of knots-in-pilotchute/bridle, most are with standard hackeys. Should be a few in the wingsuit forum for sure.

Ever see a BASE jumper put anything like a hackey on his/her pilotchute? :S

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Not so much packing as burble. Search around there are a few pictures floating around on this forum of knots-in-pilotchute/bridle, most are with standard hackeys. Should be a few in the wingsuit forum for sure.

Lazy or weak throws are not a function of the handle. Most handles, I've noticed, are hackeys, so that might have something to do with it. I don't see a connection between hackey and knot. What am I missing?

The best way to avoid PC issues, in my opinion, is to jump a pullout and have a strong throw.
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

The big problem with hackeys and other big-ish handles with wriggle room (= not stuck to the PC on 2 sides without slack in the attachmenttape) is that they flop around a lot while deploying (and of course a burble or PC in tow exacerbates this) thereby creating much more opportunity for knots.

Pullout is a no-no for wingsuit jumps of course.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

The big problem with hackeys and other big-ish handles with wriggle room (= not stuck to the PC on 2 sides without slack in the attachmenttape) is that they flop around a lot while deploying (and of course a burble or PC in tow exacerbates this) thereby creating much more opportunity for knots.

Pullout is a no-no for wingsuit jumps of course.

I've found that the wiggle room or floppiness of the hackey or tube handle is the same and is easily dismissed through packing technique. It is my experience that an assertive pull and throw of the PC always gives good PC inflation and deployment.

My preference for the hackey is based on the feel of the grab; I find it fits into my hand with a natural feel and I have never had a problem with the grab, which I have had with both tubes and pud/pud-style handles. Maybe it's just my hackey which is not that big - slightly larger than a golf ball.

I agree that equipment should be examined, developed, improved, etc., but I believe that technique and skill has a greater effect on deployment than minor equipment differences.

i prefered the tube over the hackey actually, they're good and easy to grab, but too much snag-potential in my eyes, moving around in the plane and stuff..

There is a chance to have a knot from your hackey with the bridle over the PC. You may search for those pictures.

Attached. With PVC attached in TWO places (i.e. on PVC's ends), there simply is no space for the knot. The PVC lies flat on the PC.

It seems skydivers are anxious to stick their digits in any holes they can find.

In other news I was working on prototyping the other day and I came across a product called shapelock. It's a plastic that becomes soft in really hot (not boiling) water. I wanted to make a handle out of it since it is easy to mould into a comfortable hand grip but I'm afraid of putting it in a hot car. Oh well. Maybe stick some silly puddy in there.

-Michael

Attached. With PVC attached in TWO places (i.e. on PVC's ends), there simply is no space for the knot. The PVC lies flat on the PC.

Nice monkeyfist.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

For some reason have you gotten muscle memory that is making you do that? I occasionally jump the drop zone's 160 and it has a tube thingy instead of a hackey. I've never been able to tell the difference at pull time. I just grab it like it's no different than the hackey.

The cork thing doesn't sound like a bad idea, but I'd ask a couple of riggers or something.
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan