mxaexm

pilot thinking of becoming a parachute rigger...

I'm a pilot who is thinking of becoming a parachute rigger. Could somebody tell me what does it take to get licensed and also is there any money in being a rigger, I'm not looking to do it full time, just as something on the side. (I'm especially interested in repacking the reserve canopies.)
Thanks a lot.

Please take this the right way as you sound somewhat casual about rigging; but for the time, money and effort... you're better off working towards another pilot rating or type.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

I am a pilot and a rigger and would say this:

If you are going to rig part time you won't make money at it but your *payment will be in job satisfaction. The same kind of satisfaction that comes with being a pilot and being the bottom-line individual responsible for the safe outcome of a flight. Every time.

As in obtaining a pilots license, you'll enjoy the quest and the challenge, and you will meet some interesting people along the way. You'll also develop some really good relationships. I'd say go for it, besides, we need more multifacetted professionals in the sport.

Rmarshal234,

You are right. I want to become a rigger so I will have one more reason to hang out at the airport. I'm not expecting to make any money, however I asked in my original post about money because I wanted to know how much is to get a license and also how much repacks and other stuff is (just wanted to know)

Thank you guys for your help,

>>I wanted to know how much is to get a license

I went through Simon Wade's rigger school in Boulder City in 2006 and here is a list of my expenses:

Course: $1400
Practical Test: $200
Written Test: $90
Seal press: $75

There are cheaper ways to do it (which I'll leave to others to address) but it was a great experience and I learned a ton. If you can find an experienced rigger to mentor you that will be invaluable as well. Amy Von Novak took me under her wing and was, and continues to be a tremendous help.

It will take awhile to recoup that investment but the education is invaluable and being able to maintain your own gear is the best. You can ask-around in your area to see what the prevailing price is for a repacks and other services.

Good luck.