Tuna-Salad

About how many jumps is a canopy good for?

Definitely lots of variables to consider as far as general life of a canopy. What kinds of jumps, what kind of weather where you jump, where and how the canopy was packed and stored.. it all has an impact on how long a canopy will last for. It's hard to give a general answer..

Line sets are similar but it seems like a good rule of thumb is roughly 500 jumps. Line trim may be kind of shitty by the time 500 jumps comes around. There are also different types of lines that have longer/shorter life spans, as well.

Canopy material plays a huge role in canopy longevity.

"F-111" fabric (0-3 cfm) fabric becomes more porous with use. As I recollect from my reading "F-111" canopys fly very differently beginning at about 300 jumps (I have never owned one... just what I recollect reading).

ZP fabric is far less affected by the number of jumps. This results in MUCH longer canopy life. I seem to recollect some folks getting 1000 jumps or more from a ZP canopy.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

Dacron lines last 600 to 800 jumps, about the same life as F-111 fabric.
Spectra/polyethelene/miscroline starts to shrink out of trim after 300 jumps.
Vectran lines don't stretch out of trim, but they look grey and frayed and ugly after 400 jumps.
HMA lines last about 1,000 jumps.

So if i buy a canopy with about 300 jumps, that is considered practically new??

yes, a 300 jumps canopy unless jumped in the desert most of its life will most likely still be slink and new-like.

lots and LOTS of cnaopies out there with over 1000 jumps, a fair amount with over 2000

So if i buy a canopy with about 300 jumps, that is considered practically new??

Ya, that's just getting broken in. By 300 jumps it is now easier to pack and you won't have to worry about the lines for another 200 jumps.
growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional.

A zero porosity canopy is good for 1000-2000 jumps with relining every 400-500 jumps provided the jumping conditions are good and the owner protects it from the sun, adverse chemicals and high temperature. If the canopy is jumped in a sandy and sunny area like in the desert, sand is the big problem since it goes into the seams where the cells meet and has a grinding effect on the stitches and the material. Such a canopy will last quite less. A participant to this forum was telling us that a canopy having extensively been jumped in the desert blew at opening while the number of jumps on it was relatively low. The material was OK but the stitches were worn out by the sand hidden inside.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

ZP life depends on care. If you jump in Eloy, land in the dirt and pack outside expect to get about 1000 jumps from a ZP canopy. If you pack inside on painted concrete, always land in the grass and bag it when you're not using it, you could get 3000-4000.

Note that "you can get 4000 jumps out of a canopy" does not mean that it will be as good as new, nor does it mean it will pass any strength tests or be very safe to jump. It just means that it might last that long before blowing up.

I've heard of a Stiletto with over 6k jumps that comes to PD for a reline every couple of years.

Kevin K.

I have one with over 3000 on it now. I've had it since it was new. It's pretty much due for yet another reline but amazingly enough, the canopy is still sound.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto