skydiverek

What's wrong with this picture?

Bingo (the shoelace). I think the cutaway is only 'bent' by the freefall wind.

The fatality I racall was that the shoelace tangled in the deploying lines and that started a chain that led to a fatality. Since reading this, I always double-tie my shoelaces.

No prizes, sorry :|.

I may be wrong but I would bet the person was tumbling on deployment for the shoelace to even come remotely close to the lines.

Of course it could happen on any reserve ride given the right set of circumstances. FWIW any loose gear can cause the same issue.

Thanks for raising awareness.
Think of how stupid the average person is and realize that statistically half of them are stupider than that.

when i 1st started to learn how to sit fly and stand I had an incident where my shoe laces untied in freefall and tangled together into a knot. This caused me feet to be tied together. I deployed and checked my canopy etc. then tried to undo the knots. I decided if I had not undone the laces by my hard deck, then the shoes would be taken off completely fortunately i managed to undo the knots with one hand whilst steering the canopy on risers with the other.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I may be wrong but I would bet the person was tumbling on deployment for the shoelace to even come remotely close to the lines

Lines - maybe. But there is a video somewhere where a AFF student deployes a thro out PC in a perfectly stable position and the bridle catches on his foot.

It's hard to tell in that photo, but her chest strap end appears to be floating unstowed. That doesn't seem to be an issue to me as much as is that her cutaway pillow appears to be the same colour as her harness.
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

It's hard to tell in that photo, but her chest strap end appears to be floating unstowed. That doesn't seem to be an issue to me as much as is that her cutaway pillow appears to be the same colour as her harness.

The band just isn't pushed as far to the left as it could be so some of the strap is dangling a bit.
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

During opening shock of my first jump (an IAD), my legs bent up 180 degrees and my feet came very close to the lines. Most of my student jumps were done wearing low-rise hiking shoes (stiff impact-absorbing soles) which had metal hook closures, so I started wearing short gaiters to cover up the hooks in case I ever had such crappy body positioning again (which I did). I got a few stares at the dropzone, but everyone went "oh, ahh, of course" when I explained what I was doing.

Since then I've worn loose and sloppy sneakers which have no such issues, as I stopped having hard landings :)
Looking for newbie rig, all components...

to kkeenan: :D:D:D

During opening shock of my first jump (an IAD), my legs bent up 180 degrees and my feet came very close to the lines. Most of my student jumps were done wearing low-rise hiking shoes (stiff impact-absorbing soles) which had metal hook closures, so I started wearing short gaiters to cover up the hooks in case I ever had such crappy body positioning again (which I did). I got a few stares at the dropzone, but everyone went "oh, ahh, of course" when I explained what I was doing.

At the DZ i learnt at we were told not to wear shoes with metal hooks. If someone pitched up for a FJC with those only, I think they would have got taped up or something.

Back to the shoelace story though, does anyone have a link to an actual incident report? I must be honest - having read about how deploying lines can take fingers off, etc, I would have assumed that a shoelace would have snapped under that pressure. Another of those "I never thought that could happen" stories.... (I always double tie my laces even though i wear booties, but that has had more to do with fear of losing shoes...)
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

Most of my student jumps were done wearing low-rise hiking shoes...which had metal hook closures...

Whoever did your training, missed a very basic safety hazard. We learned long ago that those boot hooks can be fatal - several people learning that as their last lesson in life. Those things have caused fatalities as far back as the '60s. They should always be covered.

Kevin K.

At the DZ i learnt at we were told not to wear shoes with metal hooks. If someone pitched up for a FJC with those only, I think they would have got taped up or something.

I had brought something else for my FJC (probably my nice new white sneakers), but after I got covered in mud (it was very early in the spring and most of the LZ was still an inch under water), I started bringing shoes I was more comfortable getting filthy.

I don't recall anyone saying anything about the metal hooks, but I had already become a dz.com whore by that point and had read about snag hazards on my own... ;)

(edited to be more clear that my instructors didn't let anything slide here...)
Looking for newbie rig, all components...

I wore something else for my FJC, but after I got covered in mud (it was very early in the spring and most of the LZ was still an inch under water), I started bringing shoes I was more comfortable getting filthy.

I don't recall anyone saying anything about the metal hooks, but I had already become a dz.com whore by that point and had read about snag hazards on my own... ;)

Your death isn't just a tragedy to you and your family, it hurts us and our sport as a whole.

Just sayin.

:D
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

Yesterday I had a student show up with hiking boots with hooks. We taped them up. Makes quite a fashion statement!
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy

These are my skydiving shoes! I like em for a number of reasons other than comfort, not sure if you can tell but they have netting all over and let the air flow through with the added advantage of having a really short drying time. The laces aren't an issue as you can tell by the pics as I have two options: 1st is the top lace which wraps around the ankle or I can just use the side strap.

These are my skydiving shoes! I like em for a number of reasons other than comfort, not sure if you can tell but they have netting all over and let the air flow through with the added advantage of having a really short drying time. The laces aren't an issue as you can tell by the pics as I have two options: 1st is the top lace which wraps around the ankle or I can just use the side strap.

Groovey, who makes those (yes, I said groovey);)

the shoelace tangled in the deploying lines and that started a chain that led to a fatality.

Having the feet NEAR the lines was the start, not the laces. Learn how to pull in the correct body position......:S
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com