antonija

Fabric for FF suit

According to most skydiving suit manufacturers the material of choice for FF suit for a person that drops like a stone is _poly_cotton_. Searching with google revealed that the term "poly cotton" is not as well defined as I hoped it would be and finding the actual fabric FF suit manufacturers use proved to be impossible.

Here's what I know so far about this fabric:
- It's composition is 65% Polyester/35% Cotton
- It comes in various weights, couldn't find what weight is used for FF suits.
- Apparently it is very good and versatile material for making shirts

If anyone has a link to any store that sells the type of poly cotton fabric used for FF suits (the right weight and weave), please let me know. I'd also like to get more data about physical characteristics of the fabric (compared to regular cotton cloth, parapack and cordura).
I understand the need for conformity. Without a concise set of rules to follow we would probably all have to resort to common sense. -David Thorne

I emailed Jim and here is his reply (in case someone else will find this useful):

Poly-cotton used in jumpsuits usually is %60 polyester and %40 cotton in a twill weave. It's very readily available in common colors.

Parapack and cordura are nylon products and they come in several different weights i.e. 400 denier or 1000 denier. Most containers are made of 500 denier cordura.

Supplex is a nylon fabric that comes in a couple different weaves. The most common are 2-ply, 3-ply and 4-ply. Don't ask me what "ply" means, it has something to do with the weave. The lightest is 2-ply. Most light weight, fast falling RW suits are made of 2 or 3 ply supplex.

Both poly-cotton and supplex are readily available from several different supplies. Look for wholesale distributors.

I hope that helps.

P.S.: I still haven't find a website that sells the same fabric used for jumpsuits (poly cotton, supplex). I found cordura and parapack on paragear.com but that was it.
I understand the need for conformity. Without a concise set of rules to follow we would probably all have to resort to common sense. -David Thorne

Polycotten seems harder to find lately except in large quanities, and controlling fall rate via parasitic drag is a crappy idea, anyway.

Supplex is a type of nylon - sturdy, and lightweight. If someone is selling you 2 ply in any suit, go elsewhere. At the prices today, a jumper deserves the better versions.

3 ply is very available, and 4 ply can also be found in most colors also and is the sturdiest.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

When making your own freefly pants what kind of pattern is best to follow? maybe a sweat pant pattern?..

If you don't want a fly, that might work. If you do want a fly, a pattern for basic cargo type pants will probably work; if you use something like that be sure to add a few inches to the inseam to allow for blousing at the ankle and to attach whatever closure you intend to use on the legs (ie elastic, velcro wrap, stirrup, etc).

When making your own freefly pants what kind of pattern is best to follow? maybe a sweat pant pattern?..

My wife's the suitmaker, not me, but I have some ideas....

lay down on a sheet of supplex - fold the other half over the top of you.

Have a friend staple the material all around your outline.

Cut off the excess material.

Fold it right side out.

= pants

strangely enough, my wife doesn't let me help when making suits [:/]

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants