Gory

Mirage G4 M3

Hi,
I'm planing to buy new G4 size M3, and a used Silhouette 190 or even 170. The reasons for purchasing M3 instead of M4 is due to future downsizing. Now I know that I should not worry about that much yet, but I have to since I am planing to invest in new container, and hopefully have it for few years to come. I am jumping 190 Sabre 1, and feel pretty comfortable with it, so I am wild guessing that coming down to 170 and staying there should come pretty soon. My question to you all is: has anyone put 9 or 7 cell, 190 or 170 canopy in Mirage G4 M3, and how does it feel. Silhouette has according to PD packing volume of about 416 cu. In. which is right at the main packing tray volume of M3.
Thanks for the input on this.
"Nothing in this world worth having, comes easy"

Why dont just get a used rig, use it for the 50-150 jumps and then order new - a rig you'll have for a longer period of time?

I know new gear is da bomb and all, but packing into a bag one size too small can really be a bitch - especially if you are planning on getting a (allmost?) new canopy.

I hope you get an awesome rig no matter what you decide.

Blue skies

The reasons for purchasing M3 instead of M4 is due to future downsizing.

Reasons to get an M4 instead of an M3 -

Overstuffing a container puts unneeded strain on the flaps and grommets. That you just paid thousands of dollars for.

Packing 190 sq ft of slippery snot into a space designed to hold 170 sq ft of slippery snot is, to most people anyway, not the most fun you can have on the packing floor.

Hating to pack an overstuffed rig has led many people to downsize before they're really ready. Which usually leads to that pretty container being all scuffed and dirty (if not worse...).

Overstuffed rigs look like shit. No matter how new the container is or how well the colors match your jumpsuit.

An M4 holds a larger reserve. If you aren't comfortable jumping a 170 main on your next jump, how will you feel about jumping a 170 reserve on your next jump?

You can go as small as a 150 in an M4. By the time you're ready for a 135 main - if you ever decide to go that small- you'll probably want a smaller reserve too.

Buy a container sized for what you are jumping now. You can safely downsize twice in an M4. A well-maintained used container that holds a 190 will sell so fast and therefore retain so much resale value that your head will spin when it's time for you to downsize beyond a 150.

I got a g3 with a spectre 170 in it (7 cell). It fits great not too loose not too tight. I may be wrong but I think the main difference between g3 and g4 is mostly harness tweaks and little add ons. for the most part I believe the container itself is the same. It's my first rig so i guess I don't have much besides uncomfy student gear to compare to but I love the fit and finish of it.

I may be wrong but I think the main difference between g3 and g4 is mostly harness tweaks and little add ons. for the most part I believe the container itself is the same.

Wrong;)You miss the point.The question is G4 M3 or G4 M4 and M3 and M4 are sizes,not models;)

The best you can do is if you call Mirage.They know better than me,you or somebody else here.
Blue skies
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

I was just in the exact same dilemma. I chose to go with the G4-M4.

Skybytch's post above covered all the reasons I went with the M4. I can't see myself going below a 150 for quite some time (I'm 5'11, 210 out the door, 85 jumps) Also, from what I've heard (and seen, the main reason I went new) Mirages hold their value extremely well.

Oh...and Handsome Dave DeWolf and I had a pretty lengthy discussion about what size would be best.

In the end, it's your decision and you're packing it (I assume). Good luck with whatever you choose.

Thank you all for the input, you are all right in the line with what I was thinking.
I guess, the only problem I have is that right now I jump 190 and feel comfortable with it, and think that I could handle 170 low performance with in next 50 jumps, my exit weight would be around 190-195 (such as Silhouette or Specter.) I was assuming that used canopies would be easier to pack, plus if it is a seven cell packs smaller too. Also,on Mirage's web site, it says that 7cell canopies can go 1 size up than what is stated in the sizing chart. But than again, I am no rigger.
Thank you for the input. Any further help would be appreciated.
"Nothing in this world worth having, comes easy"