weegegirl

How do you give your two weeks notice?

I love my job. I love my team. I love the project.

But... I'm exhausted.

I think yesterday was the last 15 hour day I had in me. As much as I love this job, they have projected 12 to 15 hour days through the end of September, with no time off. I do get paid hourly, but there is no overtime.

Regardless, no amount of money is worth killing yourself over. I need to reclaim my life.

I posted my resume again last weekend to see if I would get any hits. Two interviews so far for next week.

This blows. I'm going to miss working with these people. [:/]

Oh, accept my boss is psycho. I won't miss her much. :P

So, how do I give my two weeks notice?

You go in to see your boss, tell her you are giving your notice and that date X will be your last day. You tell her that you will follow it up with a written notice. Same day, or next day at the latest, you hand her a written notice stating the same thing.

Wait until after you have an offer from another company. Then state your reasons clearly and sign the letter and hand it to your boss. No need to speak a word. Most times they won't let you finish out the 2 weeks anymore due to security concerns so be prepared for a few weeks unemployment before starting at the new place.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Gracefully. Whatever you do, don't burn bridges. No matter how psycho your boss is (or perhaps because she is) you need to stay on her good side. At some point you will probably need to use her as reference.

Arrange some time to talk to her, explain that you're burned out and need to move on. Have a letter ready to give to her - the letter should be very short, sweet, and to the point - don't put anything in writing other than "I hereby resign my position effective X/X/XX."

This article has some great ideas.

http://www.asktheheadhunter.com/haresign2.htm[url]
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I would wait until you have another job secured. Today is my last day at work believe it or not. I have been at my current firm for 5+ years. I wrote a resignation letter thanking the firm for my employment, notifying them when my last day would be and hand delivered it to the HR manager. It's been emotional since I have made so many friends but they understand it is time for me to move on. I was not nervous because I knew I had no reason to feel bad or guilty. If you made the decision to move on in your head then it should not be to hard. Good luck!

Liz,

Write a short note to provide to your boss and human resources. Set up a meeting with your boss and present it to her. You can let her know verbally that you enjoyed the people and the project, but the continued hours are not acceptable.

------

To: Boss
CC: Human Resources

I regret to inform you that I have decided to pursue other career opportunities. My last date of employment with xyz company will be xx/xx/2005.

Signed,

LB

FIRST you secure another position. Unless you have ample savings. ;)

Then you just tell your boss how you feel and tell him what you have done about it.

Leave in a professional manner and nobody has any cause to complain.
__

My mighty steed

LETTER OF RESIGNATION.

DUE TO THE INCREDIBILE AMOUNT OF HOURS EXPECTED OF ME AT YOUR FIRM, I CAN NO LONGER PROVIDE YOU WITH THE QUALITY WORK YOU EXPECT OF ME. BLA BLA BLA

AS OF TODAY MARCH ? I WILL BE SUBMITTING MY 2 WEEKS NOTICE, THANK YOU FOR GIVING ME THE OPPORTUNITY TO BE AFFILIATED WITH YOUR COMPANY. GOOD LUCK IN YOUR FUTURE ENDEAVURS.

WEEGEE GIRL, C-YA :ph34r: :)

LETTER OF RESIGNATION.

DUE TO THE INCREDIBILE AMOUNT OF HOURS EXPECTED OF ME AT YOUR FIRM, I CAN NO LONGER PROVIDE YOU WITH THE QUALITY WORK YOU EXPECT OF ME. BLA BLA BLA

AS OF TODAY MARCH ? I WILL BE SUBMITTING MY 2 WEEKS NOTICE, THANK YOU FOR GIVING ME THE OPPORTUNITY TO BE AFFILIATED WITH YOUR COMPANY. GOOD LUCK IN YOUR FUTURE ENDEAVURS.

WEEGEE GIRL, C-YA :ph34r: :)

I dont think she should shout at him ;)
__

My mighty steed

here's a link to a formal template on the microsoft's website. You should be professional and it's preffered to give an official note (printed out letter) about your resignation - especially, those templates are professionally worded.
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/CT011224461033.aspx
Good luck.

Added:
It's also beneficial to have your resignation notice (worded by you, not your manager) to be attached to your file for the future reference.

I soooooo agree, no job is worth that much time even if you are getting paid hourly.

I wouldn't necessarily have another job lined up just yet, unless you think it's going ot be a major issue finding another job. Your boss may counter offer your resigantion if he/she really wants to keep you. But if you've already gone down that road, negotiated all you can and still they won't budge then, yeah finding another job first is a good idea. For me I would take some time off and go skydive my ass off.

Everyone's suggestions are right on regarding the content of the letter. Have a letter written, you and he/she signs it, make it official. They may not have you work the 2 weeks they may just let you go.

Good luck!

My last one, my boss asked me into his office to ask me how much of my time he should bid on a request for proposals my client had just sent out. I said, "Well, funny that you should ask...I wouldn't bother bidding anything, because they've been bugging me for months to come in-house and I finally caved and accepted their offer yesterday." Considering I was billing more hours than any other employee, and he was also losing the client, he took it pretty well.

Non-stop 15 hour days aren't worth it. I don't mind a week of them, or even a month, but several month's in a row is too much.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Yup.

All of this is very good advice. Thanks!

The job market is kickin down here for what I do. I'm not so worried about landing a new job before I leave this one, but it is a good point.

I think I will write a letter, but give verbal notice first. I don't think any counter-offer will help. They are on this schedule for a reason, and there is no budging. If they try to shake the client for more time, they are likely to lose 3 million in business. I'm not sure they are willing to take that risk for the well-being of their employees.

As I just finished telling someone in a PM, I'm not the only one. Apparently more than 1/2 the team is looking for jobs, and three people are out today at interviews. This company really knows how to treat their employees. :P

Too much work... not enough jumping. ;)

OH, and check this out!!! I have made a grand total of THREE jumps this winter!!! The past two winters I made close to 100, took trips to Florida. Yeah, this job is killing me. :S

Could you explain how you can be an hourly employee on exempt status? My understanding of the FLSA is hourly is non-exempt and therefore entitled to overtime.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

I'm not sure I completely understand all the tax lingo, but I'm a private contractor. So essentially I work for myself, pay my own taxes, etc. I just bill them monthly for the hours I put in. Make sense? Gee, if I'm entitled to more money.... by all means, tell me!! :D:P My specialty is instructional design... by no means is it finances or contractual stuff!!!

Private contractor as in you alone submitted the Scope of work, negotiated the contract, etc. - or are you working thru an outsourcing firm?
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Could you explain how you can be an hourly employee on exempt status? My understanding of the FLSA is hourly is non-exempt and therefore entitled to overtime.

I'm a salaried exempt employee, however I keep track of OT. If I work more than 8 hours in a week, I get straight time for it, however only those OT shifts that are more than 3 hours count towards that total...i.e. 2 hours a day times 5 days wouldn't pay me any OT. Anyhow, provided I meet the minimum, they divide my annual salary by 2,080 (hours in a normal work year) and pay me that amount times the hours of OT.

At my last job, I got straight pay for every hour of OT, regardless of how many I worked in a day or week, but I was in the same situation as Weegegirl at that point (sub-contractor).

I don't bitch about it....I held a job for 10 years that didn't pay a dime for OT, so straight time seems pretty sweet by comparison.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I'm a private consultant for a company that does govt contracts. they landed the contrarct and set up the deliverable schedule. i just make sure it gets done. i also manage the team/project. then i give them an invoice at the end of each month and tell them how many hours i spent on what.

Screw all that nice and professional stuff. Here is my two weeks notice if I ever win the lotto. Go into your bosses office, drop trou and take a big dump on the desk. That should get the point across.

Flying Hellfish #31
"I'm not allowed to talk about it till after the trial"
www.SkydiveTecumseh.com

Screw all that nice and professional stuff. Here is my two weeks notice if I ever win the lotto. Go into your bosses office, drop trou and take a big dump on the desk. That should get the point across.

Nice, Goat! Beautiful. I'll do that. B|

Make sure you go and pig out at Taco Hell before you do ;)

Flying Hellfish #31
"I'm not allowed to talk about it till after the trial"
www.SkydiveTecumseh.com