riggerrob

polishing lead seals

Let's face it - even with the new 180 day repack - cycle, getting your reserve repacked is still a nuisance. With a collection of 43 pens, you can forge the signature of any rigger on the planet. Now the only way to get get caught "pencil-packing" is by the corrosion on the lead seal.
How do you polish your lead seal to remove the last hint of impropriety?
Do you use a special button shield?
... special polishing cloth?
... motorized buffing wheel?

Let's face it - even with the new 180 day repack - cycle, getting your reserve repacked is still a nuisance. With a collection of 43 pens, you can forge the signature of any rigger on the planet. Now the only way to get get caught "pencil-packing" is by the corrosion on the lead seal.

I've used one of THESE (before I got my riggers ticket), with excellent results.

Damn Rob,

didn't think you'd be this bored in the spring.;)

BTW I prefer to take it to the detail shop. They're the expert polishers.

Hey, do you know of anyone in North America using plastic seals? I have some sent to me from Europe and if I could buy the damn things here I might use them.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I recommend going the easy route of stealing your riggers seal press. Free packjobs for you and all your friends.

Hi Rob,

You must have not been at Allen Silver's packing seminar at PIA/Reno where the Aussies showed their new paper seals.

When I get some time I'm going to contact Allen and see what we can get going with the paper seals.

Paper seals = no lead in the environment, nothing to jam a ripcord pin, and much easier to use.

JerryBaumchen

PS) I hi-jacked a couple of the paper seals and need to get with my daughter ( my graphic artist person ) on how to get them printed.

I use those new disintegrating seals to keep my customers honest. But be careful to buy the 180-day type now or your customers will bitch. Of course I use the old-style lead seals for my personal rig. BTW, I have a bunch of the old 120-day disintegrating seals if anyone has a use for them.

Do you have any of the old exploding ones used to punish people who'd already been caught pencil packing?

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I'm surprised people aren't melting them down into bullets.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

haha you just reminded me of a conversation i had with this very enviromentally friendly girl that i knew in university. I was back home on leave after my first year in the army and i was talking about being out on the firing ranges and how cool it was to shoot a machine gun. She then goes on to tell me how all the lead we are using is damaging the enviroment, i then told her the same thing you mentioned "ya know it came from the ground in the first place right?" she wasnt happy.

Thanks for bringing back a good memory ;)

The Altitude above you, the runway behind you, and the fuel not in the plane are totally worthless
Dudeist Skydiver # 10

Hi John,

Where does lead come from in the first place?

Well, on CSI it seems to come from dead guys. ;)

Actually, there is a fair amount of stuff that comes out of good old Mother Earth that I don't want in bed with me. :$

Or we could just buy our seals from China down at the local WalMart; the Chinese seem to put lead in everything. :S

JerryBaumchen

Where does lead come from in the first place?

there is a fair amount of stuff that comes out of good old Mother Earth that I don't want in bed with me. :$

Are you sleeping with your packing seals? Now that's kinky. :o

maybe he just has his penis sealed?
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I've ben using my own paper seals for a few years now on the recommendation of our Director of Riggers. I have been using the seals that you would have seen for nearly a year. The only thing I would like to see is the overall size of them reduced slightly. I find on certain rigs there is a chance of them being pinched as the flap gets closed leading to the tie being broken if people aren't careful.
I like my canopy...

...it lets me down.