RPetrie

V304 Micron packing problem PLEASE READ!

> I just got my new Micron V304 S#48577. I wanted to put a Velocity 96
>and an Optimum 113 in it. . . . The freakin thing is a ridiculous brick.

You put both of the the absolute largest canopies that will fit in that container. Of course it's a brick.

On the plus side, smaller containers are cooler.

. . . we took the pre installed cyres loop . . .

Does UPT ship with a "pre-installed loop" already knotted at the recommended length?

Mark

Few manufacturers tie the reserve closing loop to the exact length. There are too many variables.

It is always mentioned that humidity helps reduce pack volume, so I'm surprised that clever riggers haven't figured out a convenient way to get that advantage.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

http://www.uptvector.com/PDF/Sizing-Chart.pdf

Does anyone have experience with packing a micro raven110 in these things.

I did look into it when I bought the reserve, and it seems precisions measuring is different than PD's and a micro raven110 is smaller than a PD106 but that is going from someones advice on these forums which is not always correct.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

>Does anyone have experience with packing a micro raven110 in these things.

Do you mean MR109? If so, be VERY careful around them. The smaller Ravens have broken a lot of legs; they don't land anything like a modern ram-air canopy.

sorry yes, Micro raven 109 with zp top skin.

I know they have a very small flare range, but it flown well they are fine, I have looked into it and decided to go with it. i will set it up as a main to try it out with pleny of heigh to spare.

I am confident in my parachute abilities, and have flown many different types at different wingloadings. i am confident I can fly these things as many others have before.

it says these will fit in the V304 (tightest fit) but I wonder if anyone here has any experience with doing it?
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

>I know they have a very small flare range, but it flown well they are fine . . .

Well, so are Novas, but they still killed a lot of people. Personally I would not want my reserve to fly completely differently from my main and require a skill set modern skydivers do not have to land safely. But to each their own.

At the time of the transaction my dealer consulted UPT about what canopies I wanted to put into the container. UPT recommended the "proper container size" to aerostore and to me on the phone. Guess I just thought I could count on them to properly recommend a container for my canopy combo.

And also for the record UPT also insisted that the reason it is tight is due to there being to much bulk in the ears of the reserve pack job by viewing photos I sent. I still don't agree that this will compensate for the improper container size given the canopy information I provided at the time of the order in OCT 08 (Just got it at the end of FEB).

Guess I just thought I could count on them to properly recommend a container for my canopy combo.

They did. The V304 will fit the Velo 96 and OP 113 - it's just the 'full fitting" (IE, 'tight') option. If you didn't specify that you wanted a looser fit of the canopies, how is that UPT's fault? It's not like they can read your mind.

I think there's a bit more info needed about your purchase - did you specify you wanted a small rig or the 'maximum capability to downsize'? If so, you got exactly what you asked for.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I just assembled my new V304 with an Optimum 113 and a Velo 96. I think it looks and feels great. Here are some pictures.

I took my time keeping all as much material as possible to the outside of the freebag as I closed the container and actually could shorten the loop by at least a 1/4 inch - I didn't need to pound on it at all. I closed it by hand without a tension devise. I didn't measure the length before I closed it, but the side view shot shows it's not excessively long and the pack job isn't bulging in the middle. I made the reserve s folds big.

The last two pictures show me pushing my thumb into the main and reserve, it's not a brick. Hope this is helpful.

Ben

edit to add: I've got an argus in there, the new reserve staging loop, a skyhook, the bulkier louie loop main risers, and my 96 has a full span PD logo that certainly makes it pack bigger.
Mass Defiance 4-wayFS website

sticks!

Guess I just thought I could count on them to properly recommend a container for my canopy combo.

They did. The V304 will fit the Velo 96 and OP 113 - it's just the 'full fitting" (IE, 'tight') option. If you didn't specify that you wanted a looser fit of the canopies, how is that UPT's fault? It's not like they can read your mind.

I think there's a bit more info needed about your purchase - did you specify you wanted a small rig or the 'maximum capability to downsize'? If so, you got exactly what you asked for.

Exactly, I can almost hear the conversation now.

Buyer, "I want the smallest rig that I can fit these canopies into."

Seller, "well you can go with X but it will be tight. Y is really made for them."

Buyer, "but X will fit the canopies, right?"

Seller, "yes, but it will be tight and as you can clearly see on our published charts Y is the better fit."

Buyer, "But I want to be able to downsize in the future. So X will fit the canopies, right?"

Seller, "yes, but it will be full fitting"

Buyer three months later, "Hey this container is tight, the seller recommended to me that I get this size, it's his fault it's tight."

I've seen dozens of people so this same thing. And it's always interesting that they put it back on the seller.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

Yes - I should have chosen my words more carefully. By "outside" I meant away from the closing loop. Certainly not outside the freebag. You know how to you fill the ears a bit more to make javelins look good? By pushing the material towards the sides of the freebag (away from the middle) so the PC can sink in and fit flush? That's basically what I did, but had even less at the top of the ears and above where the closing loop goes (so that the little extra bulk of the skyhook assembly had a place to go and the rig would fit softly over my shoulders.

I think the Argus is a little bit smaller than a cypres2 so that might have helped. I don't have a bulge into the main container (as evidenced by the fact that a VE96 with a big logo fits nice in there).

The packing video from UPT that came with an earlier rig I got from them what helpful to me. You might want to check that out.

Let me clarify about the folds that I make. I line the center of the tail up with the brakeline attachment points in my packjob. I do a standard s-fold (not the kind where you do the first fold and then encase it with the tail material). After I have make my second fold, part of the warning label is buried inside the fold and maybe half of it is visable right before I put the canopy in the free-bag. I don't think it's important what kind of folding method is used - I just wanted to explain it enough to convey how much of the canopy was folded and how much I left in the ears.

For the ears, I use the UPT recommended trick of compressing the material towards the folds and then letting it expand into the upper corners of the freebag. Then I use a packing paddle to gently work the material to the sides.

While putting the freebag into the container - I work to make sure that I'm filling the corners of the reserve tray. For more info refer to UPT's packing video that I think is a quicktime movie in there CD-ROM manual.

Hope this is helpful.

Ben
Mass Defiance 4-wayFS website

sticks!

Wow that's amazing. I'm in awe that you could push that in with your thumb like that. Both compartments on mine are bricks. Theres no pushing them in at all. Hopefully after they repack the reserve and make the "adjustments" they say they are making at UPT things will work out that nicely for me. My velo also has a logo but it's not as big as the one you describe on yours. Mine carries the same nice shape, but it's just so rock hard. I also have the louie loops. Thanks for sharing.

Oh yea couldn't leave out a reply to the brilliant "Reginald". The two conversations with the dealer and UPT in person had no mention of me asking about the smallest container that would fit those or me mentioning that I would be downsizing and wanted room. Perhaps if you had read my original post you would understand that i spoke to both parties and received the same response cut and dry. It was quite clear and simple. Here are my canopies... what do you recommend for a container size? The dealer "researched" and recommended the 304. When speaking with UPT over the phone I said " my dealer suggested a 304 would you concur?". The person I spoke with paused and pulled up their chart and confirmed. I apologize to anyone who reads this pointless post but since "Reginald" decided to make false assumptions about my situation I felt it necessary to provide clarity.

Well if that's the case then you have my apologies. However, I have witnessed far too many people go the other rout. Your situation would be more the exception than the rule in the cases like this I’ve seen. It seems too many people tend to want to buy a container too small on the idea that they will downsize in the future.

Although I would ask why you didn’t question anyone and say that the sizing charts appear to recommend another size container as the normal fit and why everyone was recommending a container that would be “full fitting” for both canopies.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

not sure I agree with you. :P

I just packed a PD126-R into a V304 last night. Went in fine. Main was a Velo 90 previously but is now a Xfire 116.

No issues with closing, only using a PLD for the last flap, pulling the rest up by hand and it closes nicely.

I like my canopy...

...it lets me down.

PD 126 into V304

damnn that must be a soildd packjob?

my micro raven 109 ffits in nice but a 126 dammmmmmmmmmmn