Travman

Cookie GAS Full Face

Anyone had a close look at the new GAS Full Face from cookie?

The marketing department has written an entertaining ad. Just wondering how well the engineering department have done creating the product.

They advertise a liner with "intelligent molecules" that "flow with you as you move but on shock lock together to absorb the impact energy".

They're due out next month.

http://www.chutingstargear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=17_33&products_id=578

Anyone had a close look at the new GAS Full Face from cookie?

The marketing department has written an entertaining ad. Just wondering how well the engineering department have done creating the product.

They advertise a liner with "intelligent molecules" that "flow with you as you move but on shock lock together to absorb the impact energy".

They're due out next month.

http://www.chutingstargear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=17_33&products_id=578

Cookie just informed me that the M-XXL Gas and L-XXL Ozone helmets shipped to me today. I'll have them next week. B|

Mike
ChutingStar.com

They made the liner out of cornstarch and water?? :o

Bad ass! :ph34r:
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

If any of you guys are heading to the Bedford World Challenge nextweek I will have a few demo's on site include some d3o test samples.

As Lava lady pointed out I just competed at the Aussie Nationals last week. The GAS has a new gold medal in 8 way to boast about.
We have done a few tweeks to the liner design since the PIA and last weeks nationals. This has improved helmet ventilation and a simpler closure mechanism.

When I return home I will do a video blog of the complete helmet showing you all the features include visor removal/performance, intial adjustments and features.

The helmet has a fixed visor ie no flip up. It has two audible pockets, oxygen inlet for canular hoses and d3o incorporated into the liner.

Cookie

They made the liner out of cornstarch and water?? :o

Bad ass! :ph34r:

Yeah - R&D was pretty simple. They just dipped the shell into this pool and called it done.

Helmet's a little goopy when you first put it on, though. :ph34r::D
Signatures are the new black.

MrsCoaster just bought me one at the Challenge for my birthday.

After some liner tweaking, it fits me better than my Mamba does/did, with the added bonus of looking somewhat more evil.

Even my non-skydiving flatmate thinks it looks completely badass. Reviews about how it works to come, after I've like flown in it and stuff.

Best. Girlfriend. Ever.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

I love cookie's gear, very thoughtful and they work to eliminate snagpoints like no other, that new dbox with low profile attachment is awesome. However, on impact you want your head to deccelerate gradually as the liner is crushed, perhaps sacrificially to spread the impact over time and reduce the g-forces and therefore minimize head injury.

It is not clear that a liner that becomes rigid and imobile is a good impact absorber. It may offer comfort and some protection but the key question is how good is it at 'absorbing' impacts when in it's in it's rigid state.

They make ski hat liners out of this stuff, so it's probably designed to mitigate impact forces. I'd like to hear the case for it though. The sillyputty demo is not convincing.

Finally took the time to jump a Cookie GAS full-face this weekend at a local 4-way meet here. A few things stood out to me that immediately made it my favorite full-face to date:

Ease of putting it on and tightening the collar. The clip under the chin padding is connected to a line that tightens the collar as you clip it. Kind of like the Mamba, but the GAS has a separate clip piece from the chin piece. Nicely done and easy to setup and use. It's anchored with line through a Cypres disc that can be adjusted.

Mouth vent is a metal grommet of sorts...and this keeps the padding a little bit away from your mouth so it doesn't feel like you're eating padding...and it also makes it clear on how the helmet should align on your head as your mouth is at the grommet area.

Field of vision is excellent. absolutely does not affect line of sight from side to side...very well shaped.

Location of audible...just forward of your ear so it doesn't sit directly on your ear and scrunch your ear.

Anywho...I like...B|

Mike

ChutingStar.com

Would you please elaborate on the liner tweaking you did?

I cut out a section of the liner foam and material (not the Magic Goo(tm)) to make it slightly less bulky at the crown, as I have a somewhat funny-shaped head. I originally wore it without the topmost section of liner in there at all (just pulled that segment out), but Cookie pointed out that this impact protection was kind of the point of spending all that money.

As a compromise, it works, and the helmet is still comfy (although snug).

It's now done a couple of hours of tunnel and been jumped for a month or so, all RW, and I like it more all the time. As others have said, the field of view is superb. It's easy to get on and off, and I find I don't really miss having an openable visor though I thought I might. It's super secure on my head, and the mouth grommet thing seems to work pretty well as a fog limiter.

I had a clash of heads on an 8-way exit yesterday and now I have some long ugly scratches down the faceplate (see kids? full faces are a GOOD idea, that would have sucked if it was my face), so I can see a time in my future when I might want to replace it... I have no idea how expensive or otherwise that might be though. We shall see!

So far, still definitely my favourite full face.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Just demoed one of these on Sunday. It was amazing.

I prefer to jump a full face that does not have a flip-up visor just to eliminate the chance that it could flip up while in freefall. Only problem is that the other helmets I have worn tend to fog up in the plane or even sometimes under canopy, even while breathing out of my mouth through the vent. Jumped this thing and intentionally breathed out through my nose in the plane with no fogging at all. Like Mike said the tightening system is very easy to use and secures the helmet extremely well.

I love this helmet and as soon as I get some more cash in my hands I'll be heading to chuting star to pick one up!
Is it bad when I am consistently dreaming about skydiving?

I hope they do a flip up visor version. Otherwise I will have to go with the Z1.

It's definitely being worked on. It's just a matter of when they are happy with it...and when production will start. I'll see if I can get an update out of them...but it has been one of their Winter projects, along with the Atomic (which is now out).

Mike
ChutingStar.com

What would be nice would be a visor that flipped up and cleared the liqid flatlock. That way I could have a part time camera helmet and the full face I like. What are the chances?

As a matter of fact, yes, they are working to make it Flatlock-friendly.

Cookie also says they will have prototypes and demos at the Skydive Expo. B|

Mike
ChutingStar.com