mrubin

Audible Altimeter Advice

I picked up an Optima a few weeks ago based on

1. Brand, I love my Altitrack and nobody seems to have a bad thing to say about L&B.
2. Price, the Neptune was far to expensive/advanced for using as an audible. The price difference between the Solo and Optima was so small that I couldn't justify the loss of features with the Solo.

I don't have much to compare it to, made 10 jumps on it, works perfect and the interface is easy to move around once you read the manual.

I don't mind the canopy warnings either, the little beep here and there seems to only increase awareness.

What do you want it to do?
Freefall alerts only?
Canopy alerts?
Transmit history to your PC?

What features do you want or need?
Audible alert only?
Visual alert (light)?
Screen that allows you to use it as a visual altimiter if you want?
Waterproof?

"Best" only has meaning in the context of what you want it to do. Best for me may not be best for you.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

I have a Neptune and before it broke (twice) I loved it. It's more my fault that it broke since it's mounted as an external audible though.

But anyway I liked that I could jump all weekend and then whenever I felt like logging I could go back and use the neptune. It holds all the info from your jumps like date, time, exit altitude, free fall delay, canopy time ect.....

Get one of those 99 cent audibles. Go to the pet store and buy a doggy squeak toy. Securely fasten it to your chest strap. Make a jump. If you hear the SQUEAK of the toy, it's too late. ;)

Peace,
-Dawson.
http://www.SansSuit.com
The Society for the Advancement of Naked Skydiving

Get one of those 99 cent audibles. Go to the pet store and buy a doggy squeak toy. Securely fasten it to your chest strap. Make a jump. If you hear the SQUEAK of the toy, it's too late. ;)

:D LMAO... but would'nt the squeeky toy @least make the bouce more bouncy?
If flying is piloting a plane.. then swimming is driving a boat. I know why birds sing.. I skydive.

I like my Optima because it connects to my HypEye giving me a visual cue as well as the audible.
My wingsuit helmet has the NeoXS (no HypEye on that helmet) and it's perfect too.

Both have three freefall alerts and three canopy alerts, different volume levels for the alerts, and both are easy to set up.

The NeoXS is bulletproof, the Optima is not. The NeoXS is very heavy compared to the Optima.