Etch5

Mirage Container

I'm looking to put a rig together and am trying to figure out if I need a new container. I will be jumping a Pilot 150, and currently have a Mirage G3 M5. YES, I've already checked the Mirage container sizing guide, so please spare me that lecture. I'm curious if anyone has jumped a comparable 150 in a G3 M5 and if they've had any issues?

If this seems like it won't work out, I'm also trying to figure out if I can get the same Pilot 150 to fit in a G4 M1. I know I could get the M2 and everything would be fine.

I'd rather not spring for the new container/reserve if I don't have to. But if I must, I'm looking to get something to last the longest, hence the M1.

Any information/experiences would be appreciated, I've put in an e-mail to Mirage and will probably call them today, but figure they will tell me I need a new container, etc.

Thanks.

A friend of mine just gor a Mirage G4 MO, and it fits a 159 safire and a 143 optimum reserve just fine.

So i guess a Pilot 150 should not be a problem. The optimum reserve is a tight fit though (its a brick!).

It's really a nice rig.

But vector 3 is the real deal:P

Well two sizes below recommendation (M5 with a 150) is likely going to be very loose. The problem you run into is that while it “might be okay” - with the main that small you run the risk of your pin being too loose and it coming undone at the most inopportune time. One thing you might look into is getting Dacron lines on the 150. Honestly it’s never a bad idea anyway (Mr. Booth recommends them) and it takes up a substantial amount of pack volume. So the 150 with Dacron lines might fit quite nicely in the M5. In fact notice the sizing chart assumes micro line and says that Dacron will cause a material increase in pack volume, just what you want if you’re trying to fit too small a canopy into too large a container. Talk to a rigger that can see your gear and maybe try calling Mirage and asking how they think a 150 with Dacron would fit.

And as a side note Dacron rocks. It may not be super cool but it rocks!
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

The Mirage M5 will have a great resale value if it's in good shape. It is one of the most sought after sized. It would behoove you to sell your container reserve and buy another container reserve in an M3. It is safer and you shouldn't go out of pocket much more than the repacks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

I had a Sabre2 150 in my G3 M4, and it was pretty loose. My closing loop was about as short as possible. I was also able to fit a Sabre2 190 in to that container, so perhaps the tray was a little bit big. Regardless, I can attest to being a bit concerned about the loose-ness and wishing I had a little more tension on the closing pin. :S