HeatherObscura

Is it lame to match your canopy to your container?

In the words of Billy Crystal: "It is better to look good than it is to feel good!" Seriously, do what you want. If, you are able to get good, quality gear and all the colors match... GREAT! It's all in what YOU like. Everyone else can get used to it. You won't get ticketed by the 'fashion police'! :)

Chuck

You won't get ticketed by the 'fashion police'!

Unless, of course, that's his goal. Perhaps "super queer" is the motivation -

then you're just confusing the OP

:ph34r::ph34r:

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

You won't get ticketed by the 'fashion police'! :)

Skydiving is an almost complete fashion amnesty. People wander around in the most gopping awful kit, but because they love it, nobody laughs. Besides, we're all in the same boat.

(That said, the important thing isn't what you do: it's how you look while you're doing it that counts :P)
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

You won't get ticketed by the 'fashion police'! :)

Skydiving is an almost complete fashion amnesty. People wander around in the most gopping awful kit, but because they love it, nobody laughs. Besides, we're all in the same boat.

(That said, the important thing isn't what you do: it's how you look while you're doing it that counts :P)

I have never heard the truth so well spoken (or typed)!!!:D:D
Years ago, Talons first hit the market. One of our jumpers just had to have one... that was it! He mailed-in his order form and a few days later got a call from Rigging Innovations telling him he had entered 'NO COLORS! "That's right! Just mix 'em up and make it ugly!" he told the caller. Well, they did just that and it was the most butt-ugly thing I ever saw! :D:D:D

Chuck

There's nothing wrong with being matchy-matchy, don't let the haters get you down! When you feel good about yourself, you'll perform better. And, I'm not just saying that because I'm all matchy-matchy too. Word. :P

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Yes, I'm a ---- whore.

LOL, Sean called himself a whore :P

I do have to say though that if you want matching gear then get it, it is your money.. If anyone wants to give you grief then I think they are just jealous... Personaly I have gone through non-matching, to matching to non-matching and now for the most part have matching gear... If your going to order custom might as well but if you want it now and its used or new shelf stock, take the colors you can get and don't care about matching...

Bottom line is it is your money and you have to feel good about it when you look in the mirror to do your "Daily Affirmation With Stuart Smalley." :)

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

I match and I like to for the most part but as you trade out pieces it isn't possible.

I recently bought a container/reserve off dz.com that was royal blue with silver and white piping (Javelin less than 75 jumps on it). I needed a main and decided to custom order a Pilot. I got all royal blue with two silver cells and one white cell. I then happened to see a used jumpsuit on here that was royal blue with black grippers. I bought it so now for the most part I do match.... and I don't see my getting a new container or canopy in the next several years.

Kim your gear looks good and it is quality stuff that you are comfortable with so that's perfect.....

I kept my stuff black and white but my canopy is Red with a white stripe on the left covering two cells (Icarus standard option) which matches for the most part to my black and white and some grey gear bc I'm color blind [:/] my reserve is sky blue though which does not match at all but at the same time there is no mistaking that I am flying my reserve from the ground which I think is a good thing!

Blues
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

Was a day away from ordering all matching new gear at jump 35. Ended up buying a used rainbow bright rig and canopy and was the best decision. Over the past few years the only equipment I have ordered new was a FF suit, a few wingsuits, and a reserve. The next container I bought was used but happened to be "my" colors and know it will last for at least 3 downsizes.

I guess what I am trying to say is that if the colors happen to work, awesome, but dont waste your time and money just trying to match. If you want a Sabre 2 170 and one comes up that you may not dig on the colors and can afford, get it. find a good deal and spend the money you saved jumping.

edit to add: All my gear now matches. (sale pending on a used canopy). This was purely by coincidence.

You can only be one of the truly cool kids if everything matches - container, jumpsuit, helmet, canopy, even reserve, altimeter, shoes, and hair color.

hair color? what if all your (my) hair is falling out? ;)

Take a leaf out of his book.:)
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

I voted YES because by chance, I bought an in-stock canopy perfectly matching my rig colors.

I am now selling it because the canopy is hard to see in the environment I usually jump in and I had one or two closer calls where I had to avoid others who didn't see me. It's a Crossfire2 119 that has less than 100 jumps on it. (Just if anyone's interested). ;)

Get a canopy that helps other people see you. Your canopy is out only for 1-5 minutes and during that time it helps you more by being visible rather than fashionable and maybe hard to see.

The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

I voted YES because by chance, I bought an in-stock canopy perfectly matching my rig colors.

I am now selling it because the canopy is hard to see in the environment I usually jump in and I had one or two closer calls where I had to avoid others who didn't see me. It's a Crossfire2 119 that has less than 100 jumps on it. (Just if anyone's interested). ;)

Get a canopy that helps other people see you. Your canopy is out only for 1-5 minutes and during that time it helps you more by being visible rather than fashionable and maybe hard to see.

What color is it and where do you jump?

My rig and fashionably matching jumpsuit are navy blue and red-on-yellow tie-dye, the canopy is navy top and bottom with tangerine (neon orange) ribs. One doesn't see the orange ribs unless coming head on. I'm usually jumping in continental temperate climate with some dark green in the background. Dark blue in front and dark green in the back don't make the canopy an easily visible thing, so i got a "red w/ two white cells" XF2 119. Visible against any background. Of course, the navy one looked nice waiting to be packed, but i don't jump in the desert/bright backdrop areas where a dark canopy is easier to be seen.
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...