HeatherObscura

Is it lame to match your canopy to your container?

Spending a lot of effort to match your canopy to your container is a little . . . odd use of effort, I guess. Not that there's anything wrong with that. And in some cases it makes good business sense; when putting together a rig specifically for appearance's sake (i.e. for demos or film work, or for a team sponsored by someone like Aerodyne) it can make the product a little more sale-able.

If you're talking about matching for functionality, you should do that anyway. If you're talking about matching for color, it's your dough, and it ain't anyone else's business.
You know what? I'm going to say do it - the money spent will help the economy.

I recall a few years back when a friend of mine was ordering a custom main canopy and specifically asked that it be a combination of the most outlandish colors possible... (that there was a crazy looking canopy...)

I have a pink (Magenta), purple(Mulberry), and white stiletto (stock PD colors) that I got for a great price used... it in now way shape of form matches my rig... it does however have some similar colors as my fiancee's rig... :D

Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

I wish all of my stuff matched but I'd rather have quality gear that didn't match than crappy gear that does match.

If your going to be a fashion queen/king. Money is no object.:|

That may even be part of the attraction look at me I can afford to spend $$ or chare the CC to special order everything in coordinating colors.

I think if you look at most of the jumpers with the "right stuff" their spending their limited resources on becoming better jumpers, getting more air time, going to boogies, rather than looking great on the ground.

OTOH it your $ spend it like you feel you need to.:)
One Jump Wonder

Just curious...what were some of the outlandish colors he had on the canopy?

I don't really remember but I don't think any of the cells matched and I seem to recall that most of the panels themselves varied as well like a random rainbow... I do recall it being quite outlandish...

now mind you whereas my main parachute doesn't match my rig... my rig is actually color corrdinated to my jumpsuits... or vice versa since the rig was owned before my jumpsuits...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

I match and I like to for the most part but as you trade out pieces it isn't possible.

I recently bought a container/reserve off dz.com that was royal blue with silver and white piping (Javelin less than 75 jumps on it). I needed a main and decided to custom order a Pilot. I got all royal blue with two silver cells and one white cell. I then happened to see a used jumpsuit on here that was royal blue with black grippers. I bought it so now for the most part I do match.... and I don't see my getting a new container or canopy in the next several years.
Kim Mills
USPA D21696
Tandem I, AFF I and Static Line I

My favorite colour is "free!"

When you get as old and as wrinkled as me, you loose interest in fashion and just care if it will land you softly.

The only time I would worry about colour was if I was ordering a completely new rig for a team or movie stunt, etc.

If you're buying new it costs the same to get a canopy that matches as it does to get one that doesn’t. Get one that matches. And don't worry about people that hate you because you're beautiful! They’re just jealous. ;)

"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

Heather, I voted "no". I think some stuff looks totally badass if it matches, if you can do it that way.

I won't be able to do that when I order my new stuff because I want an almost all black Mirage container with a little bit of gray/silver and a bright as hell orange/yellow PD main.

Good luck!! You'll look smashing no matter what you get!! B|

Always be kinder than you feel.

It's your money if you can afford custom. You know what I'd like? For people to see me in freefall and know it's me because of how I fly (hopefully good) rather than my colors. (see that guy on his back underneathe the formation - yeah, that looks like Bill :P)

If you really want matching - I can see matching the rig and the jumpsuit since they are visible walking around.

The canopy? That can be anything you like. It comes out in the air and isn't even visible 95% of the time.

My "colors" are dark - I like dark green and gray, smoke and black. (so container and suits match those)

But my Canopy is super bright (when it was new) (orange, white, yellow) because I want to be SEEN. Bright Reserve too (monocolor)

And I'd like to find my cutaway.

I know one person that matched her reserve to her main. Guess what, no one chased down her Main after a cutaway, and no one drove out to get her either. No one knew she even had a cutaway.

As far as a reserve - you really shouldn't care. The next time I buy a reserve, my rigger picks the colors so he can have the easiest inspection possible - (perhaps all white with black or red thread......)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

But my Canopy is super bright (when it was new) (orange, white, yellow) because I want to be SEEN. Bright Reserve too (monocolor)

Amen! My canopy (black with red ribs) matches my container (black/grey with a little bit of navy blue accent) purely by accident as both were bought used and from different sources. Having jumped a black canopy for almost 3 years now I've realized that I go into "stealth mode" on sunset loads, and we had a devil of a time finding it in the Washington woods on a cutaway. I would much prefer brighter canopy colors.

There's a good chance I'll never go all matchy-matchy because both my mains so far have been used (450 and 200ish jumps when I bought them) and I like the idea of someone else making them packable for me. :D
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Amen!

It's an awful purdy parryshoot too.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Heather,

Going by your jump numbers (low) and time in the sport (1 year) listed in your profile... I'm guessing this is your first (BEER!) custom ordered rig. To most folks at that point in the sport, I say, go for it! Have a good time designing a custom colored rig and main.

My 2 cents on the reserve, don't waste time on this, just get a stock color reserve of the appropriate size for you as you'll not be seeing your reserve much (hopefully) and if/when you do, it will be the most beautiful color you've ever seen... after having to chop that spinning ball of sh*t that was suppposed to be your main, or how ever it is you wind up under your reserve... ;)

Anyway, why do I say to Noobs to go for it and custom order colors for their first container & main... well, its probably the only time you'll ever do this, so why not treat yourself to that experience?

Personally, I'm on my 3rd container and 6th main now. While I did custom order rig's number 2 and 3, they're mostly your "basic black" model with some color to individualize it a bit... can't go wrong with mostly black on a container IMO B|... since my first (custom colored) main, my favorite colors for a main have been "IN STOCK". :P

However... consider this... if you are one of "those folks" that you see sometimes at the DZ where their container, main, reserve, jumpsuit, helmet, goggles, shoes, gloves, log-book-cover, drag-mat, car and dog are all color-coordinated... you may get labeld as just being a "poser" and not really a "skydiver"... so consider, do you really want to be "that guy"? :D