SpeedRacer

St. Patrick's Day...How will u celebrate?

I am going in to Boston on Friday and staying until Monday with a whole group of friends from college. We're going to check out the St. Patrick's Day Parade and drink heavily and long at the very "Irishest" of bars in the whole country. >:(

I am going to be hurting Monday too because currently... I don't get out much. B|

Bringing home some Guiness and having some lamb stew with soda bread. The kids will blast The Cranberries on the stereo. Maybe sit back and watch "The Commitments" after dinner, with....more Guinness (there's also a six pack of Harp for sissies who won't try Guiness).

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

I can understand why you would celeberate if your a strict Irish Catholic, but I don't understand why Christian Americans celebrate St. Patrick's Day? Is it just an excuse to get wasted? If so, why not celebrate St. Andrew's, St. David's or St. George's day as well. After all the pilgrims were separatists from England and were Christians?

Not having a go or anything, just wondering. Am I being really stupid and missing something?

I can understand why you would celeberate if your a strict Irish Catholic, but I don't understand why Christian Americans celebrate St. Patrick's Day? Is it just an excuse to get wasted? If so, why not celebrate St. Andrew's, St. David's or St. George's day as well. After all the pilgrims were separatists from England and were Christians?

Not having a go or anything, just wondering. Am I being really stupid and missing something?

Not all americans are Christian Englishmen. There is/was a strong irish influence in this country. Particularly in the north east in cities such as Boston, or NYC. For the rest of us... we are just looking for an excuse to party. Kind of like how we celebrate Cinco de mayo, you don't have to be mexican to wear a sombrero and drink margaritas. Lighten up and have a Guinness!! ;)

JAMES

Thanks man, thats awnsered it exaclty. I've always wondered why none Catholics celebrate St. Patricks day. I understand the Irish movement from Boston to New York in the early 1900's, just didn't understand why everyone else celebrated it. I thought it might have been some religous reason I've totally missed or something.

In England we have a St. Patricks Day as well, but not a St. Georges Day? Niether does Scotland celebrate St. Andrews Day, neither the Welsh St. Davids???

Today is my son's birthday. We will celebrate with pizza and an ice cream cake from Cold Stone:)
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

100% irish catholic from Boston here ;)

My cousins went to Dublin for St. Patricks Day and were SORELY disappinted at the lack of drunken debauchery (seperating it from any other day of course :D).

I think its so huge in this area because of the story behind St. Patrick - saving the Irish etc. where lots saw coming to America as saving them too.

My family bypassed the US though - they settled on PEI for 2 generations before making their way to Boston.

I have yet to do St. Patty's in Boston (I live in Providence now), but I've heard its lots of fun despite the cold ;)

Jen
Arianna Frances

We are Irish Catholics:S
Where do you think over 1 million Irish went to get away from English oppression;)

I'm part Irish. So far today I'm wearing a green shirt and I stuck corned beef in the crock pot and it's cooking in Guiness and spices all day. I can't wait to eat it tonight!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Wearing black and tan today (in refernce to the stout not hte bruisers from history)

Technically I wear green everyday....and looks like I am going out tonight. party downtown!

Today is my son's birthday. We will celebrate with pizza and an ice cream cake from Cold Stone:)

Happy Birthday!!! My little boy's birtyday party is Saturday :) I just bought all the hot dogs, hamburgers, party favors and such. I'll be baking *the best* chocolate sheet cake on Saturday morning! Y'all have a great party!!!!!

Today was Match Day, and I matched into my first choice, a Family Practice residency in Pine Bluff, AR. It's a very rural and poor area, which translates into LOTS of pathology and pretty high volume for this area of the country. We have some awesome faculty that love to teach procedures. I'm very excited. The program filled this year with 5 of my classmates and 5 others that I suppose I'll meet in July.

Peace~
linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail