mdwhalen

Skydiving found safer than fatal car accidents!

I just read an interesting article on skydiving that reports that "the National Security Council reports a fatality only once for every 110,000 jumps making skydiving 17 times safer than being in a fatal car accident" Sure makes me feel better.

I didn't even know that Condoleezza Rice was keeping track of our sport.
"I have magic buttons ;)." skymama

I just read an interesting article on skydiving that reports that "the National Security Council reports a fatality only once for every 110,000 jumps making skydiving 17 times safer than being in a fatal car accident" Sure makes me feel better.

I didn't even know that Condoleezza Rice was keeping track of our sport.

Is it safer than a NON fatal car accident?:|
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Well, I know I'd much rather jump out of an airplane and hurl towards earth at a screaming 125+ mph, deploy a parachute, and land safely WAY MORE than I'd like to be involved in a fatal car accident. I can skydive way more than I can die!

C-YA
http://www.curtisglennphotography.com

How are they comparing the two? 1 jump compared to 1 mile in a car? 1 jump(plane ride, freefall, canopy time) compared to a half hour of driving?

edit:

"So we're 17 times safer than a dead guy?" Lol, yeah, those crazy skydivers.

Even if skydiving is safer than being one of the overall group of survivors and victims of car accidents involving a fatality, I really wonder about those numbers.

I'd rather stay on the equally specious "skydiving is safer than driving" theme. No more valid, but certainly more comforting :)
Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

It is a misleading stat. It should be fatalities compared with minutes of time engaged in the activity. I spend about 30 hours a week driving and average 4 jumps a week. How much time is under canopy? Maybe 3 minutes per jump, a little more with freefall, say 4 minutes per jump.

So it's a very very misleading bit of data.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

Even if skydiving is safer than being one of the overall group of survivors and victims of car accidents involving a fatality, I really wonder about those numbers.

I'd rather stay on the equally specious "skydiving is safer than driving" theme. No more valid, but certainly more comforting :)
Wendy W.

specious. damn. don't ya hate it when you know you know a word but at the same time know that all the drugs your parents did in the sixties has you forgetting?

i find myself reaching for that word quite often and not bein able to amemba it. thanks wmw.

i think i like it better "skydiving is safer than bein the dead guy in a car wreck", finally an accurate comparison of skydiving and driving.
namaste, motherfucker.

My mate and I were driving up to our dropzone for a Tandem jump a while back. Its was my third jump and my mates first jump. We were doing 90 down the fast lane as you do, when I saw a HUGE bumble bee crawling up his shoulder. There was too much traffic in the other two lanes to pull over to the hard shoulder. We were swerving all over the place as I attempted to catch the bumble bee in a McDonalds cup, as it was crawling up his cheek. I managed to trap the bee and spill coke all over him at the same time. We nearly spun the car across a busy motorway at 90 mph. Our jumps were awesome, no probs.

the same kind of thing happened to me once...a spider repelled off of the ceiling of my car right in front of my face and i almost rear ended a guy turning into a taco bell. close, but no collision. whew! :o
"Don't talk to me like that assface...I don't work for you yet." - Fletch
NBFT, Deseoso Rodriguez RB#1329

This has been discussed many times.

The numbers for 2000:
Total US population
(http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0004997.html)

Died in car crashes
(1 in every 6709)
(http://www.unitedjustice.com/stories/stats.html)

The fatality rate for active skydivers is about 1 in every 1000.

In addition, take into account that we spend more time driving than freefalling.

Do the math

The fatality rate for active skydivers is about 1 in every 1000.

thats for Active skydivers but the numbers look much better if you count all the successful tandems made, as I think you are assuming that there are 35,000 active skydivers. I bet there are 200,000 (I am getting this number outta my ass but it sounds reasonable) first time tandems every year take this number into account and suddenly things look a lot different......to hell with the amount of time spent doing the activities or distances moved lets use a scope where we just have a simple yes-no for the activity... I.E. yes I skydive and yes I drive a car

other examples might include No I dont skydive and Yes I drive a car
or
Yes I skydive and No I dont drive a car

B| Just trying to help sort it all out

Jimbo

Don´t belive the hype