mrbiceps

What canopy would u buy

Im on the lookout for a 190 canopy. Am looking for mid 90s or younger with no more than 300 jumps on it. It seems that i will probably end up getting either a sabre, falcon or pd190. which one would u buy if they were all around the same money? Which one is best? thanks

the one in one of the hundred and fifty other threads asking the same question.:P

maybe this link to 101 pages of the same question might help you out a bit.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=search_results&search_forum=all&search_string=what%20canopy%20buy&sb=score&mh=25

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

i actually doubt you will find anyone of those three canopies you mention that have less than 300 jumps on them. Why dont you look for a sabre 2, safire2 or pilot? I would have a hard time believing that there is a sabre 1 with less than 300 jumps on it out there in 2009

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

All 3 of those canopies are a bad choice,

falcon and PD190's are F111 material so they have bad flare and don't last very long, and sabres are not good canopies, in thier day(over a decade ago) all 3 of them were good but now you have the choice of many much better canopies.

I would suggest a Safire 2 for you as they are IMHO the best canopy in thier class. A safire 1 is also good.

A sabre 2 would be apporopriate too but a sabre 1 will most likely only make your physio therapist money!
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

Im on the lookout for a 190 canopy. Am looking for mid 90s or younger with no more than 300 jumps on it. It seems that i will probably end up getting either a sabre, falcon or pd190. which one would u buy if they were all around the same money? Which one is best? thanks

Why have you chosen to look for those three specific canopies?:)
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

i actually doubt you will find anyone of those three canopies you mention that have less than 300 jumps on them. Why dont you look for a sabre 2, safire2 or pilot? I would have a hard time believing that there is a sabre 1 with less than 300 jumps on it out there in 2009

I found a Sabre1 that had to have less than 50 jumps on it last summer. Lines were completely white with no wear, warning label was in perfect condition and it was one mutha f*ckin' slippery piece o' shit to pack!

But chance are pretty slim. I got lucky (especially since it was my exact color scheme (neon pink and royal blue). It was the skydiving God's!!)

And there's a '99 Sabre 1 at my DZ with less than 200 on it. I know cuz it used to be mine and I traded the jumper, who still jumps there for a bad purchase decision he made (too small a canopy/rig combo). He only has put 50 on it and it's still slick as shit!!! Yes...they are out there!!!!
;););)

...it's not the fact that you don't appreciate what you have until it's gone...it's the fact that you don't appreciate what you have until someone appreciates it for you!

Definitely the Sabre for reasons said above.

As for none of the above? Nah.. I really prefer how the Sabre 1 flies over the Sabre 2. The Sabre 1 isn't that hard to pack for softer openings, and its a lot easier to flare to a complete stop than the 2 in my opinion. The riser pressure seems a lot lighter too. If I had a choice of a brand new canopy - Sabre 1 or 2 - I'd choose the original..

Matter of opinion I think....

I agree that the Sabre is one of your best buy. Try to get a Sabre 2. I am sure there are a lot for sale now. The Sabre 2 will provide you with a probably the best flare. Have it evaluated by a rigger.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

I was given a Sabre 170 last summer by a packer at my DZ.

I was told it had around 800 jumps on it. I had a new line set installed and started jumping it.

I have put 119 jumps on it and so far the openings are very good. I actually like the canopy very much.

Lately I have been doing hop n pops just to spend more time flying and landing...

I don't know anything about the other 2 canopies you mentioned.

Good luck...
"Tell ya the truth, I don't think this is a brains kind of operation."

Since you only mention size, a 190 footer, you haven't addressed your preference for 7-cell vs 9-cell. In the way of 7-cells, there are TONS of Spectres on the used market, plenty of Triathalons too, though most people would consider the Spectre more fun. Icarus has an excellent 7-cell called the Omni as well. PD has just introduced a new 7-cell called the Storm that is getting rave reviews.

You won't find the Storm, or many Icarus canopies on the used market. they're either too new or their owners hang onto them for a long time. But the Spectre's been around long enough that you can always find a good one in almost any size.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

It seems that i will probably end up getting either a sabre, falcon or pd190.

Jesus man, what kind of budget are you on that these are all you can afford? How do you pay for jump tickets?

Seriously, I've owned a few Sabre1's, and they're good cheap canopies, but right now I'd say shopping around for a good deal (and there are some fantastic deals out there) on a more modern canopy would be more useful. Hell, with really good negotiating you can easily get a modern semi ellip, put a hundred or so jumps on it and get back what you paid (or more). A really old canopy will only get more and more difficult to resell as time goes by.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

It suits his requirements for now. Let him like it. I used to love my Starlite, too.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

It suits his requirements for now. Let him like it. I used to love my Starlite, too.

Wendy W.

The original poster asked "either a sabre, falcon or pd190. which one would u buy if they were all around the same money? "

Do you think it's really a sound advice to buy an F111 canopy ? I felt that it was blind leading the blind.

You're right; I'd forgotten the context. Yeah, of the three canopies mentioned, if the prices are comparable, the Sabre is the best choice.

But I still liked my Starlite :ph34r:. And my Firefly :ph34r:

Wendy W.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Thanks for the advice people. I figured the sabre zp was the best choice. Its funny how people think so lowly of f111 canopies, and that you are going to die if you fly one. They forget that back in the day they were the latest thing and that people put millions of jumps on them safely. I loved my first falcon 235. Im not going to keep this canopy for ever thats why i dont want to blow $2000 on it.

Thanks for the advice people. I figured the sabre zp was the best choice. Its funny how people think so lowly of f111 canopies, and that you are going to die if you fly one. They forget that back in the day they were the latest thing and that people put millions of jumps on them safely. I loved my first falcon 235. Im not going to keep this canopy for ever thats why i dont want to blow $2000 on it.

We had a 1913 Empire (looks like a Model T, but made in Indianapolis) come in the shop once for a restoration. It had metal fenders, but the body and frame were made out of wood. It also had mechanical brakes that were basically just a leather belt wrapped around a drum that tightened up when you hit the pedal. It was hi-tech for its time also, it had a 3 speed transmission. Just because it was state of the art doesn't mean it's still a good idea. Thank God they don't build 'em like they used to. F-111 canopies are fine, with only a few jumps on them, but they don't last nearly as long as ZP.
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.

You wanted to get an opinion what's best if the price is the same - and ZP is by far a better choice. F111 is never same bang for the buck.

Nobody says F111 is a deathtrap. It's just mostly inferior in skydiving environment (durability, flare, speed, resale value).

Don't like the answers ? Don't ask the question !

Never the same bang for your buck? I doubt that. I bought my 210 pd 9 cell for 300 bucks, almost brand new. The pack volume allowed me to put it into a container sized for a 190, so in time if I want, I could downsize all the way to a 150, which will last me many many jumps and many years. The canopy opens and flies great, it gets me back to the dz no problem (glide angle is similar to a 7 cell) and the only thing lacking is the flare, which is still adequate. Now that I think about it, I have never had a non stand up landing. A saber one with a similarly fresh line set (but lots more jumps) is going to be at least double the cost, I was looking at one with 1200 jumps and a 50 jump old lineset for 600 bucks, and an 800 jump with new lines for 800 bucks. The best part about the canopy though, is that it is super easy to pack!!!! It might not be a great canopy, but I love it, and it got me into the air cheap. The openings are always consistent and on heading, and it hasn't malfunctioned on me yet.
So go ahead and knock my canopy, but it won't change the fact that it saved me money and I'll probably be hanging onto it for a second rig.

P.S. the resale value doesn't matter as much either, at half the price I only lose 150 bucks. Ordering a brand new canopy and then selling it after 100-200 jumps is a bigger hit than that.