glgflyer

Psycho packing question

I am a newbie at packing ZP canopies so I just learned the psycho packing method. However, there are a couple of things that concern me: 1. Once it is bagged and ready to close the container, the slider grommets seem to always end up directly under the closing pin causing a not-so-smooth surface under the pin. 2. There is a lot of material in front of the nose.

Last night as I was practicing, a thought occurred to me. Once I flipped the canopy 180 degrees and layed it on the ground I pulled the corners of the tail across as shown on the PD website and got the air out of the canopy. Then I carefully picked the canopy up and flipped it back over 180 degrees taking the line twist back out. Then I folded my ears and rolled the canopy up like a normal psycho pack and bagged it up. This accomplished 2 things: 1. Slider Grommets are now in the bottom of the bag instead of the top. 2. All the material is now behind the nose instead of in front of it.

Now the question. Does anyone see a problem with this packing technique that I am missing that could be a safety issue. Please tell me if you do so. Thanks for your input.

I pulled the corners of the tail across as shown on the PD website and got the air out of the canopy.

Do you mean the Performance Designs web site or the Precision Aerodynamics web site? If you truly mean PD... please supply the link, I would like to see what you are speaking of.

The reason that I don't pull the corners of the tail as shown in the Precison website video is my concern about pulling brake lines in front of the canopy nose.

Thanks
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

I have been psycho packing for over 5 years now and I don't quite get what you are asking. It sounds like you are not rolling it far enough. The slider grommets should be inside the bag under the tail and out of the way.

Sorry, I just can't make sense of what you are saying without seeing it in person.[:/]

Onward and Upward!

Sorry for all that confusion. Basically what I am asking is why is it necessary to flip the canopy 180 degrees before rolling it up? Why can't you just lay it down in the correct orientation as a normal pro-pack but instead of s-folding just roll it up and bag it without ever flipping it at all?

Sorry for all that confusion. Basically what I am asking is why is it necessary to flip the canopy 180 degrees before rolling it up? Why can't you just lay it down in the correct orientation as a normal pro-pack but instead of s-folding just roll it up and bag it without ever flipping it at all?

It probably isn't necessary and I've seen versions of the pro-pack that people roll instead of s-fold.

Flipping it 180 degrees makes it easier to roll and contain the tail of the canopy as you roll it up...not sure what direction you would plan on rolling it if you didn't flip it 180 degrees...very difficult to describe without seeing. But from what I imagine you'd be trying to roll it from the top to the bottom which would require you to pick up the canopy as you go and make it very hard to contain...

FWIW I've been psycho-packing since I got my new Safire2 (about 100 jumps now) and I've had no issues with the slider grommets or openings whatsoever...actually most of them are nicer than pro-packed openings.

I'm not a psycho-packer, but I'm guessing it's for convenience.

Look at the video again - with the canopy bundle flipped, everything that you are working on is directly in front of your face, easily visible. With the bundle in a 'normal' pro-pack position, you'd be working underneath the bundle in relation to what is shown in the video. (Which, essentially, is what you're doing in a pro-pack as you clean up the bundle) The only difference I see is that you don't have to flip the d-bag over after you've bagged the canopy.

In regards to rolling a propack instead of s-folding, think of how you narrow the bundle as you pro-pack vs. how the psycho pack is done - I think it would be MUCH more difficult to roll a propack vs. a psycho pack.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Sorry for all that confusion. Basically what I am asking is why is it necessary to flip the canopy 180 degrees before rolling it up?

Because then you end up with one neat sheet (center cell) of fabric wrapped around all the canopy.

If you don't flop it (before rolling) then you are struggling to control dozens of individual pieces of fabric while rolling.

Flipping it 180 degrees lets you roll the loos fabric from the tail on the inside so everything stays together. For small enough canopies (a 135 works) and big enough hands you can hold the resulting pack job with one hand (like a foot ball) and slide it in the bag.