tb182

pd pulse

That's why the top skin is regular ZP. No, hybrid canopies are not affected that way.

I have heard different views on this. Wish I knew for sure. I really liek the pulse but it the characteristics I like( fast openings and good flare) are going to deteriorate over time what's the point? anyon out there with 400 jumps on a pulse that can chime in?

Personally I dont know if I would be too worried about it. I think the ZP top skin would reduce the effects of the bottom skin becoming porus to a certain degree. I also think (but dont know) that it is the top skin that does the flying.

Anyway I think this 400 jump figure for f-111 canopies is overdone. I did over 1200 jumps on my F-111 Firelite canopy and my brother did well over 2000 on his Pegasus. I would put the figure closer to 800 and you would have moved on by then. B|

That's why the top skin is regular ZP. No, hybrid canopies are not affected that way.

I have heard different views on this. Wish I knew for sure. I really liek the pulse but it the characteristics I like( fast openings and good flare) are going to deteriorate over time what's the point? anyon out there with 400 jumps on a pulse that can chime in?

JohanW does have a couple hundred jumps on a silhouette, and that canopy is still flying around fine AFAIK.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Note: this is copy/pasted from my reply to the other PD Pulse thread...

I jumped a 170 (the Pulse) last weekend. Was in a demo rig borrowed from one friend who had it to do night jumps. Another guy (new jumper) had repacked it last so I jumped it to avoid my friend jumping a messed up rig at night. Glad I did...

The canopy opened with one toggle completely unstowed (was packed that way). It hurt a bit-but the canopy opened suprisingly well considering. I was amazed at how clean the inflation was, and once the other toggle was released-how well pressurized and stable the parachute felt.

The canopy flew well on rear risers, had decent range on the toggles. Front riser pressure was extremely high. I think the parachute is a bit "piggish", but very safe. TONS of flare on the bottom end. I personally wouldn't want one- but the opening characterisitics are very forgiving and the parachute would be great for the crowd it is being marketed to. If you want a slow, safe parachute to get you to the ground after an exciting freefall-the Pulse would be a great choice.

I normally jump a steeply trimmed Jedei 150 at 1.5. I like a canopy to do more than the Pulse was designed to. Hope this helps....

Packing was easy and it fit very nicely in a Vector Micron with a Optimum 143.

-Harry
"Sometimes you eat the bar,
and well-sometimes the bar eats you..."

I'm getting a demo this weekend and had not seen any more updates about the Pulse in awhile. Demo is a 190 and I'm jumping it at 1.3. Most the people I have talked to personally say they would buy one if they could find one used, but that's not possible. Any new reviews or comments on new ownership???

Blue Skies!

I put one jump one a demo 150 (1.35WL) a few days ago.

opened well. flew well. packed very easy
hard front riser pressure.

I would recommend the canopy for anyone who wants a no problem wing.
I have always been a fan of getting very new jumpers on Silhouettes (another PD hybrid), so the Pulse is a no brainer.

John Leblanc as well as other PD reps mentioned that Pulse performs best when loaded lighter.

I think the only problem with the Silhouette is the name. It's such a good canopy to start with. It's much better for most new jumpers than say... a Sabre2.

Easy to pack. It's great to fly and at proper and slightly over new jumper wingloads, it's forgiving of improper control input.

It's just a damn good parachute.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I just bought a Pulse 170. I love it. I demo'd a Pulse 190 and then a 170 before I bought it. I am loading it at 1.7 It has a nice soft opening like a Sabre2, although body position can make it hunt a bit off of on-heading. It will get you back from a long spot like a Stilleto, turns like a stilleto and lands like a Sabre2. I love the damn thing. Plus, it is easy to pack and it packs small. Great canopy
Charlie Gittins, 540-327-2208
AFF-I, Sigma TI, IAD-I
MEI, CFI-I, Senior Rigger
Former DZO, Blue Ridge Skydiving Adventures

Hint: most modern school (tandem,IAD, S/L and AFF) canopies are hybrid, with ZP top skins and F-111 bottom skins and ribs.

Optimu fabric is just the latest variation on (0-3 cubic feet per minute) F-111 fabric.

That means schools can expect to make more than a thousand jumps before performance starts to deteriorate.
... and packers whine less because the F-111 bototm skin makes them almost as easy to "bag" as all F-111 canopies.

Try to think about it from a DZOs' perspective. He is trying to get the maximum number of jumps per dollar. Hybrid canopies last more than 1,000 jumps, even if they have to be re-lined every 400 jumps.

The bottom line is that the fabric on hybrid canopies deteriorates much slower than the suspension lines and you can expect to get more than 1,000 jumps out of a hybrid canopy.

I have heard different views on this. Wish I knew for sure. I really like the pulse but it the characteristics I like( fast openings and good flare) are going to deteriorate over time what's the point? anyone out there with 400 jumps on a pulse that can chime in?

JohanW does have a couple hundred jumps on a silhouette, and that canopy is still flying around fine AFAIK.

474 On various sizes, to be exact. Of which around 450 on my own 170. And it wasn't new when I bought it, it had an estimated 100-200 jumps on it.

It could do with a reline, which I had done before selling it to someone for whom it was perfect. Last I heard, it was for sale because the new owner had a child and stopped jumping. But until then, it served her just fine. I borrowed it back to do a demo shortly after I sold it and downsized and jumped it with the new lineset. Just like always and ever (which was the whole point of borrowing it for the demo).

If anyone is looking for a Silhouette 170 in good shape, I know one that could do with some air. :P I'd love to see it fly again.
Johan.
I am. I think.

so how does the pluse fly compared to the pilot?

Similar glide (very flat). Pulse openings are not nearly as snively as the Pilot and (on average) are more on-heading, not that the Pilot was particularly prone to off-headings. Pulse flare point is higher than the Pilot; the Pilot flare is all in the bottom end; on the Pulse it starts higher up in the stroke.

I now have about 350 jumps on the Pulse and just bought a second one. It's the right canopy for me, but as always, I encourage you to try it to see if it's the right one for you. B|
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I have I jump each, I'll put more one each in the coming months. I have been jumping specters. Wish I could get a hold of a zpx. But looking like the pulse is winning. Going to try a 150 pulse over Christmas. What wing loading are you jumping?

Areodyne has yet to get back to me. is this normal from e mailing them off their web site demo program.

I jumped one loadd 1.15:1 for few weekends now following a 900-600-300 pattern and twice end up beyond the target by a lot. It could have been due to woods are blocking the wind on the very last leg of the pattern but anyone noticed that it needs to adjust the pattern to allow a longer last leg ?

Although the winds where around 15-16mph, it gave me a good "run" when I landed even thou I did the final full flare!

tb182
I put three jumps on a 170 and in my opinion, it is a dud.
Yes, it has a nice long runout, but when you want the last lift from it, it just isn't there. Any canopy will land great on a windy day. It's when there is no wind that you test it. It was a complete DUD! My Stilletto has the same runout and has a LOT left at the end to lift you when you need it. A couple of the reviewers said that too. The Pulse??? Sorry. Nothing there. Just makes you run 10 to 15 mph and NO LIFT no matter how far you punch it. 180 lbs, 170 sq feet.

And, it doesn't loiter up high like a Stilletto, Sabre 2 or Crossfire or Atair. Just comes down. It is fast, but has nothing on the flare end to help you lift up for landing.

My summary: Opens slow and lands way too fast on a no wind day. Geez, thought you were supposed to trade speed for lift on a ram air canopy. You trade your speed in all right, but don't get much lift in return. Bad canopy overall because it opens slow, no loitering high if you want to cover ground, very long toggle stroke-too long, and the landings are just "track star runners" on a no wind day.

I've jumped Pulse 120 loaded at 1.7. No wind condition, all day long, back to back, 9 to 10 jumps.

Never had to run out any of them.

I will admit that it doesn't have much flair, but good enough flair for a standup landing.

You can't compare Pulse to a Stiletto or X-fire. It is like me saying, X-fire and Stiletto sucks because it doesn't have flair power like my velo.

Pulse is fine for a person who doesn't swoop and enjoys freefall much more than canopy ride.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

the target audience of the Pulse doesn't load them at 1.7 though...

'zactly....My only jump on a Pulse was a 210 loaded about 1:1. It was brand new and the slightly nervous owner wanted a test jump. He weighs less than me, and like me is POPS qualified. I found it to be surprisingly nimble, fun, not at all steep, and had a great flare. This is the niche that the Pulse belongs in. Use it as intended. I don't see any need for them to be making them down to 107 size though.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

You can shorten the brake lines if you feel the need; I'd recommend taking a two-finger wrap for a few jumps. The Pulse CAN be stalled (like most any canopy) and it's true the flare power is down all the way to the waist of a stock canopy. Dial it in with wraps before shortening, and see what works best for you.

My experience. Went to Moab with a Pilot 140. Density altitude of 7700 Feet.Light and variable winds. Got my ass handed to me. UPT was there with demo rigs with Pulse's in them. Demoed one(170) and went home and bought one. Lands long and eats altitude in turns. Opens quickly with no pain but not always on heading. Absolutely no problem shutting it down on landing in low/no wind. Your mileage may vary.
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.