tb182

pd pulse

You can demo canopies in a number of ways. Larger gear stores sometimes have them available. Manufacturer reps will come to DZs (often during big events, but sometimes just for a regular weekend) with a bunch of demo canopies that people can use. Or, you can request one from the manufacturer, to be sent to you for a couple of weekends, then you send it back.

For Performance Designs (as an example), the latter option is $50, which includes return shipping, and you get it for two full weekends (usually shows up on a Thursday or Friday, and you need to send it back on the Monday following the 2nd weekend). Demoing when the reps are at a DZ that you're at is free, but you may not be able to keep the canopy for more than a couple of jumps if others want to demo them.

Demo canopies usually come on risers so it's very easy to switch it out in your rig.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I have been demoing a 150 Pulse and the thing is absolutely amazing! I tried several ways to pack it funky and it opened on heading every single time. For those who have enjoyed the sweet consistent openings of the Spectre, you can now have those same openings with a 9 cell canopy that actually flies really nice as well! This is the ultimate wingsuit canopy!B|

"People often say that this or that person has not yet found himself. But, the self is not something that one finds. It is something that one creates"- Thomas Szasz

I made only made 4 jumps on a Pulse 170, but I can give you my 2 cents. All geared up I weigh about 200 lbs. All 4 openings were on heading and 3 of the 4 jumps were in the peas. On 2 jumps the spot was over the horizon and I made it back with room to spare. Packing couldn't be easier. For me the canopy lived up to all the hype.B|

I now have about 120 jumps on my pulse 170 loaded at about 1.35. I am very happy with this canopy. Packing is a treat. It has very good penetration and brings me home from long spots. I also find it light on the toggles and very responsive. (I had a Spectre 170 before the Pulse) Flaring is very predictable with little floating.

I have put my nephew who is newly qualified "A" jumper on a 170 loaded at 1.1. He likes the Pulse best in comparison to a Pilot or Sabre 2 of the same size.

I think this is a great canopy for the fun jumper.

When I was at the Summerfest at Skydive Chicago, I went to the PD tent and at my request they put the Pulse 170 in my container. To do so, you sign up a waiver and pay 5$. You can keep the canopy the whole day or more provided nobody else wants to try it. At the last jump you don't pack it and your packed parachute left at the PD tent in a special bag is put back carefully in your container. PD people are very friendly people. Everything goes smoothly with them. They gave me the flight caracteristics of the Pulse and the rest was mine to discover.

1) the Pulse deployed smoothly but positively, faster than my Katana but slower than the Sabre 2.
2) Immediately you have a good impression of lightness when removing the brakes and flying it due to the low toggles pressure.
3) Turns are smooth but very stable. The Pulse flies very flat therefore you can travel a lot with it. That will bring you back from long spots.
4) landing was good, I made a stand up (loading at 1.6+) but the flare is not as powerful than my Katana 170 or Sabre2-170.

Note. The top skin of the canopy is made of ZP nylon while the bottom skin is made with the new OPTIMUM reserve fabric. Pulse supension lines are made of Vectran.

The packing volume seems to be almost the same than the same size Katana and slightly smaller than the same size Sabre 2.

I had a very good impression of that canopy. I would recommend it to people having 50-70 jumps and being proficient at canopy flying after they have been cleared by their DZ instructors.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

Did you do any front riser stuff? That is my single complaint/thing I didn't like about the Pulse (front riser pressure too much*). If the front riser pressure wasn't so much (and the bottom skin came in neon pink or royal blue:$), I think I would have actually bought a new canopy after demo'ing it.

*RE: Front Riser Pressure, I don't use it to swoop. I use front risers to burn altitude in situations where S-turns aren't safe or desireable to create seperation for landing.

Sorry, I didn't try the front riser turns or else. What you say is not surprising (a lot of front riser pressure) since I believe PD put more weight distribution on the front risers and that would be compatible with the low pressure on the toggles and the impression of lightness when flying the Pulse. In other words, it's not an agressive canopy. Well, you will have to burn altitude by applying deep brakes without getting tired.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

Now that you guys have more time on your pulse what say you?

See page 24 of the October Parachutist. ;)
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I saw that. So now that you have had your pulse in a variety of conditions anything worth mentioning?

I have 3 questions for you:

1) Since the Glide is rather flat how easy or difficult would it be to get the pulse down into a tight area, an out landing if you will.

2) How are the No wind landings and or downwind landings if you happen to have had any.

3) With your experience packing a pulse... if a container fits a 170 all ZP canopy such as a sabre 2 would a 190 pulse fit? would same go for a 150zp/170pulse?

Im going to demo a 190 this week.

1) Since the Glide is rather flat how easy or difficult would it be to get the pulse down into a tight area, an out landing if you will.

Haven't had to do that yet, but I have been able to put it where I want it so far - it did take a little bit of time to dial in and my first landings went long, but I've since learned how it flies and can adjust much better. Accuracy's a matter of knowing your canopy at your wingloading and being able to adjust to conditions. No, I'm not going to be shooting at the disk in classic accuracy on this canopy, but I'm no less confident in my ability to handle this canopy on an off landing.

2) How are the No wind landings and or downwind landings if you happen to have had any.

It'll shut down nicely in no wind / downwind - the flare point on it actually higher than the Pilot (which I put 300 jumps on prior to this).

3) With your experience packing a pulse... if a container fits a 170 all ZP canopy such as a sabre 2 would a 190 pulse fit? would same go for a 150zp/170pulse?

My personal experience - a 210 fits nicely in a container that is sized for a 190. I'd previously squeezed a Pilot 210 and Spectre 230 in that bag, but it really should have a 190 in it, and it's much happier with the Pulse in it.

I have about 45-50 jumps on mine now and it's broken in nicely. Even the first few pack jobs were not nearly as slippery as a brand new all-ZP canopy would be.

Haven't had to do that yet, but I have been able to put it where I want it so far - it did take a little bit of time to dial in and my first landings went long, but I've since learned how it flies and can adjust much better. Accuracy's a matter of knowing your canopy at your wingloading and being able to adjust to conditions. No, I'm not going to be shooting at the disk in classic accuracy on this canopy, but I'm no less confident in my ability to handle this canopy on an off landing.

It'll shut down nicely in no wind / downwind - the flare point on it actually higher than the Pilot (which I put 300 jumps on prior to this).

My personal experience - a 210 fits nicely in a container that is sized for a 190. I'd previously squeezed a Pilot 210 and Spectre 230 in that bag, but it really should have a 190 in it, and it's much happier with the Pulse in it.

I have about 45-50 jumps on mine now and it's broken in nicely. Even the first few pack jobs were not nearly as slippery as a brand new all-ZP canopy would be.

Thanks a ton for the info. Im going to demo the 190 on monday.

Yes. I have Atom Legend for 150 all ZP and I fit Pulse 190 very well.

See Canopy Pack Sizing Comparison Chart from PD website:
http://www.performancedesigns.com/packingchart.asp

quick thoughts -- Jumped a 150 in squirely winds the other day... boy the front risers may as well be anchors but again that's not the point of the canopy. IMO the 150 flies smaller and the speed of toggle turns is very fast compared to sabre2/safire2, stilleto, or even katana. My normal main is a katana 120 for comparisons sake. The canopy comes out of any turn you put it in very fast and almost abruptly in some cases. Almost behaves like a speed flying canopy to me. Fun to pack, figure 1 size down and 1.5-1.75 sizes down in the hands of a good packer. Fun gliding canopy... I'd love to do a xcountry jump with it in no winds and see how far it goes.

:ph34r:

-Patrick

So I jumped the pulse 190. I liked the canopy alot and Im Considering the 170 for purchase along with the pilot in zpx and sabre2 in the same size

For those of you who have alot of jumps, have you noticed an appreciable difference in the way the canopy flares as your jumps increase? I had been told that this is the case with f-111 and may affect the pulse the same way being that the bottom skin is similar to f-111.

That's why the top skin is regular ZP. No, hybrid canopies are not affected that way.

I have heard different views on this. Wish I knew for sure. I really liek the pulse but it the characteristics I like( fast openings and good flare) are going to deteriorate over time what's the point? anyon out there with 400 jumps on a pulse that can chime in?