pds

Free online divepool points and blocking tool for RW, CRW and FF

pilotdave responded to my request for suggestions with the idea of a random divepool generator. We have since expanded the idea to include a lot of neat features.

One cool feature is the ability to create dives/pools from 'standard' points and blocks from a common library as well as the ability to 'roll-your-own' points and store them for later use.

I have been working on the interface for the point (is that what you RW guys call it?) editor and would like to share it to get some feedback. Please take a look and play around with it and let me know what your thoughts and suggestions are. I am at your beck and call:P

beta notes:
+ the diver rotation is kinda crappy right now, am waiting on some trig help from kallend.
+ Cannot save diagrams yet. have fun but dont go building any 300 ways cuz you cant save yet!;)
+ only have belly flyer graphics so far. need to really talk with some crew and ff people to find out what different images would be useful on a divepool diagram for those disciplines
+ arrows and labels for transitions have not been implementd yet. they are in the toolbox, but just for show.

for best results, wait for the page to finish loading before you use it. it has to preload the images for the different diver headings.

dzDivepool beta - requires IE6

added screen shot

sky
namaste, motherfucker.

Creating a jumper works, but dragging fails with IE 6.0.2900. Also, unchecking the caption box causes a Javascript error (line 56, char 5, "Object doesn't support this property or method: objCurrentJumper.setImage").

Sometime in the last few days I saw a cross-browser library for doing image drag/drop, among other things. Might be worth checking into.

update: Found it!

there's already one up and running
http://www.digitalskydive.com/default.asp?page=planner

and it works well tooB|

that's a cool page. i plan to take it a step farther.

i am planning to provide the same capabilities you see on that page augmented by a graphical display of the formations/blocks/pools AND the ability to create your own formations/blocks/transitions graphically via drag-n-drop and store them for later use if desired.

is gonna be cool, just ask me;)
namaste, motherfucker.

Creating a jumper works, but dragging fails with IE 6.0.2900. Also, unchecking the caption box causes a Javascript error (line 56, char 5, "Object doesn't support this property or method: objCurrentJumper.setImage").

Sometime in the last few days I saw a cross-browser library for doing image drag/drop, among other things. Might be worth checking into.

i am developing against .28.

try reloading the page, click to add and notice the preload starting at the bottom. wait for it all to finish then try.

let me know. it works fine for me, but thats how it always is... lol.

r.e. crossbrowser: is a no-go for now. am using some i.e. specific stuff like element behaviours etc to keep the code clean. maybe later. would require a LOT of code to maintain. taking the path of least resistance in these early stages.
namaste, motherfucker.

try reloading the page, click to add and notice the preload starting at the bottom. wait for it all to finish then try.

Reloaded. "Items remaining" counts down from 60-ish. Click on jumper. New jumper is created on the page. Clicking and draging the new jumper produces no change and no javascript errors. Control-clicking to change the jumpers symbol also fails silently.

interesting. am thinking that it might be av or firewall related. the page uses an .htc file that contains all of the logic for the jumper entity. your reported error indicates to me that this script file is not getting loaded.

this is important feedback. thank you. the toy is no good if only i can play with it;)

can some other people try to load the page and feedback please?

i will stop at an i-net cafe when i am out and see how it works on another machine. like i said, things always work fine for the programmer and not always so good elsewhere.....
namaste, motherfucker.

I think the problem is that the page is trying to load the stylesheet from http://localhost/DivePool/Divepool.css

:$:S thank you.

imagine that. the .htc is referenced in the stylesheet. no stylesheet, no htc, yes errors. good catch.

try it now.
namaste, motherfucker.

seems like it would be an easier task in either java or flash...

but then i'm rusty at both so.....

we use the tools we have, bro. is just the presentation layer. a doodad. things will really start to shine when it is hooked up to the backside. once the app is feature complete then will look at rewiting the gui in flash or getting someone who is current to do it.

java?! easier?! send me some of what your smoking!;)

does the page work for you?
namaste, motherfucker.

I wasn't able to move divers either before, but it seems to be working fine now. Will play with it more tomorrow.

you can thank indyz for the sharp eye. was a stooopid oversight on my part.

i am going to get the rendering (what you see now) hooked up to a capture and storage module so you can save points as frames with which you can create blocks with as many frames as you like and then save the block for later use, printing etc.

thanks guys.
namaste, motherfucker.

OK, with a sage trig refresher from MWGemini got the diver rotation working the way i want. shift-click on diver and drag away, the diver faces the mouse cursor. i think it's neat.:P

modified the caption code to use a vector relative to diver icon so it stays in position relative to diver when you move diver.

and just to give you an idea of where this is all heading, HERE is the first version of the rendering engine. only a few 4 way here but imagine every formation/block known to man for any number of jumpers in a template library that you can use to create blocks/dives, or modify/personalize and add to your private divepool library.

still working on the serialization of the diagram so you can save and load. am working with IE's local userData cache so you can have a local working formation library while offline.

feedback people, feedback!:P

dzDivepool beta - requires IE6
namaste, motherfucker.

there's already one up and running
http://www.digitalskydive.com/default.asp?page=planner

and it works well tooB|

Easy for 4-way and 8-way, if you know the names of the formations.

My idea was for those 5, 6, 7, 9, etc ways. Just a program/website that can be open at the DZ all day, handing out random, RW jumps of the desired size/number of points. My original suggestions was MUCH simpler, using pre-drawn formation diagrams and just loading random images. pds took it about 1000 steps further.

I can think of tons of of great uses for this. Sharing fun formations that you design and try out, competitions between DZs, etc. My DZ does a fax meet every year with other local dropzones. Time to bring it to the electronic age! :P

Dave

That'll never work...they'd need somewhere to upload the videos for impartial judging. Someone would have to go invent that. :P

Dave

invent what? streaming video or impartial judging?:o
namaste, motherfucker.

thanks. i will definitely talk to you about the logic, if any, required to generate valid (doable?) dives.

i have been a bit quiet on this for a few days as i actually picked up a small one-off project that will help me pay my rent. but rest assured, i am still deep into both the divepool app and the jumplog app.

since i last posted an interface here, i jumped into the world of VML. is vector based graphics in IE and find that it allows me to accomplish many things with better results.

also, no more preloading of images. the objects are rendered in a vector context. the rotation is no longer image dependant. you can rotate your jumper by .0001 degree if you want. you wont be able to see it on the screen but...... lol...

anyway, this is yet another draft at the interface. be sure to read the welcome pages for instructions on how to use it. i think it's cool.

check it out dzDivePool and let me know if you likee..

p.s. for those who dont read instructions well ;)... file>new>form. then right click in the middle to add objects. right click on objects to delete or change colors etc.

also, if ya wanna help a bruddah pay the rent, go to my website and click through some of the google ads on the right side of the pages in my website..... fankyu.
namaste, motherfucker.

i got sidetracked by this job. will deliver tomorrow, then am looking for a new apartment. once all of the survival issues are dealt with i am going back to working on the divepool.

r.e. the rotation: i am still trying to get the vml engine to handle all of that. as per the sdk, it should, but when svg came out vml kindof took a back seat so there is a dearth of practical application knowledge so i am having to suss out most of the details by trial and error.

i will know soon whether we need to continue with the manual handling of the spatial issues.

again.. thanks for your help.
namaste, motherfucker.