old_timer

Packing a triathlon

I have the same problem... Tri from 04' and its so slippery that it makes me dread packing the damn thing. The only explanation that I've been given is that it must be from an extra slippery batch of the already slipper S,.african ZP. My fiance has a Pilot, and he said his was NEVER that slipper. My tri has about 75 jumps on it now and he said its more slippery now than his was with 0 jumps on it. Frustrates me to the point where I am kind of shopping around for another canopy. [:/]

Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

I have the same problem... Tri from 04' and its so slippery that it makes me dread packing the damn thing. The only explanation that I've been given is that it must be from an extra slippery batch of the already slipper S,.african ZP. My fiance has a Pilot, and he said his was NEVER that slipper. My tri has about 75 jumps on it now and he said its more slippery now than his was with 0 jumps on it. Frustrates me to the point where I am kind of shopping around for another canopy. [:/]

It's a 135...just shake it out and pour it into your D bag! ;) I'm just kidding...but jealous 'cause it's a lot smaller than mine. [:/] You should give the Psycho pack a try. B|

Old age ain't no place for sissies!

I could be wrong, but I seem to remember somebody from PD taking over Aerodyne Research (maker of the Triathlon) and then buying the same material for their parachutes that PD buys. The old Triathlons (I have one) use the tackified nylon material.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I could be wrong, but I seem to remember somebody from PD taking over Aerodyne Research (maker of the Triathlon) and then buying the same material for their parachutes that PD buys. The old Triathlons (I have one) use the tackified nylon material.

IIRC, the "tacky" fabric was a type of "Gelvenor".
I have a Triathlon and a Diablo made from the stuff.
I love that fabric.

Beware the earliest Triathlons were made from a different grade of Gelvenor that looked and felt the same but was bulky as all hell. I mean like 40% bulkier! I had picked up a used 220 Tri made from the stuff, but never jumped it because there was no way in hell to stuff it into my container that easily held a Raven 248. I later sold it and picked up a newer 210 (made with the lighter fabric) that fit.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I sent a query off to Aerodyne asking about the history of that "Gelvenor" material and asked why the change from it to the more slippery shit...I don't even know what to call it.

I was once told that Gelvenor Textiles went out of business but as far as I can tell, they are still operating.

I talked to an Aerodyne rep about this a couple of years ago but I can't remember the details of the conversation.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

adobelover,

I have a pilot 168 that I also am struggling to get into the bag. I have not tried psycho packing yet because I have read that I need a bridle extension placed between the canopy and D-bag before doing this. You say that you psycho pack your canopies. Do you have that extension or is it ok to just to pull the ring out as you are rolling the canopy?

adobelover,
I have a pilot 168 that I also am struggling to get into the bag. I have not tried psycho packing yet because I have read that I need a bridle extension placed between the canopy and D-bag before doing this. You say that you psycho pack your canopies. Do you have that extension or is it ok to just to pull the ring out as you are rolling the canopy?

It's not imperative to have an extension, I've packed without one and I have friends that Psycho pack and don't use one...it's just a whole lot easier and less likely to cause a problem to use one...your rigger can make one and install it for a few bucks. I have extensions on both of my canopies and I still Psycho pack.

Old age ain't no place for sissies!

I have a tri 175 w/about 530 jumps on it/bought used. PRO pack.. slight roll of the nose to ensure nice n'soft ( got slammed once before when not rolled slightly) Love my tri!
If flying is piloting a plane.. then swimming is driving a boat. I know why birds sing.. I skydive.