old_timer

Packing a triathlon

I used to have a tri 190, pro pack is definitely the way to go, but i rolled the nose as well. True, it does take a while to open that way, but i also had a hell of a spanker the one time i didnt roll the nose. I guess it depends on the age of it too. I had an older one with moderate jumps.
"If this post needs to be moderated I would prefer it to be completly removed and not edited and butchered into a disney movie" - DorkZone Hero

My tri-190: Pro-pack, don't roll the nose as it opens slow enough already (800ft +/- 100).

I can verify that 800 ft +/- 100 opening metric. It was alarming at first but very comfortable if you pull high enough and learn to expect it.

The Tri is a perfect old timer canopy. Love mine as only a survivor of many bone jarring surplus round canopy landings could.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

So it's a new Triathlon? Is it the same material as those PD canopies, real slick and all? I have a December '97 Triathlon, when it was still made with the tackified fabric, that made it so easy to pack. I love the soft openings I get on it. I tie the risers together at the rings to keep them even, then I pro-pack the canopy and roll the three outer cells on both ends toward the center (which helps ensure on-heading openings), and S-fold it into the bag. For stows, I only use the flat rubber band stows, large ones for the first two, and small ones for the rest.

At least a 500 foot opening sequence every time. Okay, 99% of the time. ;)

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I also have an older one (2001) that is made of the same, or similar material.. Makes it a BREEZE to pack!

At first I had the 'small' rubber bands on my dbag for all the line stows (other than the 2 locking stows), and found that it was opening hard as hell. I then switched all the rubber bands to 'big' ones, and double wrap them, except for the 2 locking stows. It's made a big difference, and now I get those nice soft openings.

pro pack is definitely the way to go...

Oh yeah, because if you flat-pack it, you're just asking for all kind of problems.

Yep...like time and space.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Fixed it for ya. :P

One of the old school guys at SDD side packs, and he's one of the fastest packers at that DZ! Yeah, he takes up a little more room while he's doing it, but trust me, he ain't doing it very long!:D

"If all you ever do is all you ever did, then all you'll ever get is all you ever got."

Fixed it for ya. :P

One of the old school guys at SDD side packs, and he's one of the fastest packers at that DZ! Yeah, he takes up a little more room while he's doing it, but trust me, he ain't doing it very long!:D

One of my old friends who has been skydiving for more than 25 years, is definitely old school when it comes to packing his Triathlon. Always flat-packs that sucker and swears by it. Won't do it any other way.:P
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

If everybody was as resistant to innovation as some people mentioned in this thread, we would still be jumping unsteerable unsleeved cotton rounds.

And if new was always better, we'd all be jumping Thunderbows...:ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Who knows, it may look like a flat pack but be a pro pack done on the ground. Or if it is a traditional flat pack, that fine. It has the same Proper Parachute Orientation as a PRO pack. It's just all the cells S folded together instead of each side separately. And it's easier to do well.

Where's the damn packing tabs when you need them!!!!>:(

If everybody listened to the knowledge of the oldtimers maybe we wouldn't have people making the same mistakes over and over.;)

And yes I pro pack

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

good point.

I think what some people may refer as a flat pack is just what Moe Viletto has been referring to as "flat PRO stack"

otherwise... yeah, it's good to learn from the past, but it's not good to be resistant to change.

PS I like the packing tabs, I wish PDRs had them :)

If everybody was as resistant to innovation as some people mentioned in this thread, we would still be jumping unsteerable unsleeved cotton rounds.

Thunderbows are kewl :ph34r:

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Thunderbows are kewl :ph34r:

Kewl to jump maybe, to pack.....not so much! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

i had a brand new TRI 175. Just rolled the noes a little. Had a slammer from hell at SDLI once. Also, go drag it through the dirt and dust and get ready for some slippery fun. Now I have a Pilot 150 and LOVE IT!!!!! It was slippery at firt but it was a 150 going in a bag for a 175. nICE!!!

I have a Triathlon 160 made out of that older south african zp....such a blessing...i get up to go for a piss in the middle of my packjob and the sucker is still waiting for me exactly as i left it...very little breathing, its unbelievable!

as far as packing, regular propack positioning the nose but no rolling or tucking in. ~600ft openings.

I have two Tri's, a '96 model that can easily be flat, pro or psycho packed...and the '06 which was slippery as hell when new and the ONLY way I could get it in the bag was to psycho pack it...I'm old with bad knees so I still psycho pack both canopies. :D

Old age ain't no place for sissies!

I jump a Tri 190, mfg 1997. How do I know if it's the older South African ZP or not? What years would that include? I Bought it used and have around 170 jumps on it. I have never had trouble packing it other than a little sqeezing it into the bag. Just curious for my own information.

I may be getting old but I got to see all the cool bands.