SkyDaemon

I am a PERL god

Lummy,

I've checked out 5.4, but again it's that "supposedly" I know what I'm dealing with in 5.3 so I'll start with that and see how the upgrade goes.

You're running on dual opterons as well... ahh the glory of having the FSB issue fixed via a new interconnect scheme. I really admire those guys over at AMD for investing so heavily in this new approach, I think it's a great direction.

I've done FreeBSD installed on RAID systems of more than a terabyte... What kind of RAID controller are you using? Mine is a really cool self contained unit that has 4 SCSI channels... It appears to the OS as a single drive. I love it!

-=Raistlin
find / -name jumpers -print; cat jumpers $USER > manifest; cd /dev/airplane; more altitude; make jump; cd /pub; more beer;

:-P That was the P166 I was talking about :P

Actually I was funnin Shegget with the FreeBSD 4.6.2-RELEASE
running on the Digital B|

Oh and you actually beat me in the geek dept by naming yourself Raistlin. Tell Caramon I said hi ;)
__

My mighty steed

"trying" is the right word :)

We're testing a tyan 2882 with 4 400gig SATA drives using a 3ware 9500 on RH, Win2k3 and FreeBSD. No problems with RH AS4 and Win2k3 RC2. We've been wanting to go the 64bit route but aren't too impressed with Intels flavor

With the Beastie, I keep running into drive geometry errors and subsequent "file space is full" on installs. I was reading that FB's sysinstall has problems with a HW raid array over 1 terrabyte and thought that might be the problem. I just redid the array with only 3 drives and put the 4th on the SI3114 controller. Same stinkin thing ;(
I'm wondering if it's the drives, 400's are pretty danged new?

Grrr... I want to get this figured out!!!!

LOL... NM.. it seems that the install doesn't like the broadcom NIC. Don't ask me why cause that was just plain weird. I switched to the intel 100mbit and it's plugging along !!!! YIPPEEE!!!
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

ChrisL,
I have most people beat in the geek department... well except for those who are more hard core than me. Those are the people I go to for help... Fortunately they're mostly nice to me (well Poul Henningkamp doesn't like me very much, but Kirk McKusik smiled when I showed him my avatar. He gave me permission to use it. I had it embroidered on my skydiving rig.)

Finding geeks who are more hardcore than I, (in the unix world) is pretty difficult. I can't figure out the MS people, everything they say sounds like business babble jargon from the pointy haired boss from Dilbert, or some nutty professor from college who hasn't ever programmed professionally. And besies... they're all inferior for supporting the evil empire!

-=Raistlin
find / -name jumpers -print; cat jumpers $USER > manifest; cd /dev/airplane; more altitude; make jump; cd /pub; more beer;

I had it embroidered on my skydiving rig.

Sweet! I thought about doing that but it seemed like too much time and trouble.

Finding geeks who are more hardcore than I, (in the unix world) is pretty difficult. I can't figure out the MS people, everything they say sounds like business babble jargon from the pointy haired boss from Dilbert, or some nutty professor from college who hasn't ever programmed professionally. And besies... they're all inferior for supporting the evil empire!

-=Raistlin

I work in an office thats half filled with DBA's and the other half are NT admins. Theres one other UNIX admin with me and even he is half a MS guy and cant seem to function without a GUI :S

Sometimes the UNIX vs MS debates can get quite heated.

All the important stuff here runs on UNIX though so if it comes down to it I can always just rub their faces in that B|:)
__

My mighty steed

Sometimes the UNIX vs MS debates can get quite heated.

You know... being an MS person is -almost- reason enough for me not want to have anything to do someone. I have a few friends who can step back from their jargon and insulated little closed source GUI prisons, and discuss the concepts of programming, networking, and system administration, but they are few and far between.

All the important stuff here runs on UNIX though so if it comes down to it I can always just rub their faces in that.

Sort of like Hotmail runs on FreeBSD...
and MacOS is based on FreeBSD...

Sweet! I thought about doing that but it seemed like too much time and trouble.

You should get something nerdy on your rig... I identify more with the command line, and those who love it, than those who fall out of airplanes. The pressures, consequences, and successes of system administration seem far more real and important than in skydiving. In skydiving the system is pretty simple versus trying to figure out a problem with a production server at god knows what hour, when you're in the middle of nowhere, trying to fight a security nightmare, from some script kiddie in outer-mongolia... or more likely some obnixous DoS aimed at MS servers... a few firewall rules later and it's all fine...

FreeBSD 4.6.2-RELEASE-p2 #0: Fri Sep 13 19:06:02 CDT 2002

A little behind the times arent ya? ;)

nah, the box is 800 miles away, with noone to fix it when cvsup && make world crap out halfway through. 4.6.2 is chuggin along just fine. ;)

my vaio has gentoo (still think it sucks ass... who makes a distro that doesn't come with vi by default? nano sucks balls... time to go back to slackware), fbsd 5.3 and xp on it.

and if you all hate windows people, ya best shun me. i just spent my day writing shellcode to be used in a not-so-nice windows driver, and spend alot of my time in windows kernel land, though i have been known to reverse windows drivers and port them to other OSes ;)

oh, and hotmail was originally running FreeBSD, but MS changed it over after it bought hotmail:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/interopmigration/case/hotmail/default.mspx
(which was, oddly enough, just after nmap was released and fingerprinted hotmail as having FreeBSD... hrmmm...)

My understanding is that the port to NT was an abysmal failure so they reverted back to FreeBSD... so a little birdy told me... ;-)

Like I said, there are a few exceptions, but they're few and far between. You must be one of the good guys :-)

So why are you writing windows drivers?

-=Raistlin

dunno if they reverted back or not. i know the original migration did take alot longer than they expected, but i'm not sure if they still have freebsd on the back end.

i used to work at a company that did various unix/windows/etc. drivers and lower level systems programming (network protocols, etc.) so i've written stuff for everything from solaris to windows to OS 8 and 9 on macs...

and at my new job, pretty much noone knows windows internals, so i'm doing whatever needs to be done. it's cool though... keeps me busy and pays for my other addictions :)

keeps me busy and pays for my other addictions :)

Right on brother! :-)

I think they did migrate back... we could figure this out with a little bit more research... but in the end I don't actually care. ;-)