skymama

Six months off...do I really need to repack my main?

Ok, I'll just say it now. I'm feeling lazy and don't want to do a pack job. :P

I'm going to try and jump tomorrow after a 6 month layoff. I was told to repack my main and I'm just wondering why. What kind of trouble could have happened while it was sitting in my climate controlled closet?
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I'm going to try and jump tomorrow after a 6 month layoff. I was told to repack my main and I'm just wondering why. What kind of trouble could have happened while it was sitting in my climate controlled closet?

According to the FAA, it needs to have been packed within 120 days of use.

There are annecdotal reports of new ZP canopies coming out as a brick which takes ten minutes to peel apart.

And plenty of people have jumped pack jobs a lot older than six months.

It all depends...how are you and the hubby gettin' along? ;)

He have ya sign any confusing papers lately?? :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Your reserve needs to be inspected and repacked every 180 days (120 under the old law), and in order to properly inspect and repack the reserve, the main would most likely have been removed from the container. There is always a chance that it has not been reconnected properly, or that it has been flipped through the risers before being put back in the container.

I hope your rigger didn't fully inspect the system with the main still in the container. Heck, part of his inspection and repack should have included disassembling and flexing the three ring release.

So that's a good reason to repack the main along with the reserve.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Well, my reserve was repacked in late October, so it's fine under the new guidelines. I totally trust my rigger that he did everything he was supposed to do at the time of my inspection.

I was wondering what the reason was behind the "6 month" rule for mains. If the fabric might be sticky or the risers needing flexing, that's good enough reason for me.
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Well, my reserve was repacked in late October, so it's fine under the new guidelines. I totally trust my rigger that he did everything he was supposed to do at the time of my inspection.

I was wondering what the reason was behind the "6 month" rule for mains. If the fabric might be sticky or the risers needing flexing, that's good enough reason for me.

That and give a glance at your stowing bands, they can go funky in certain circumstances too.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

105.43 Use of single-harness, dual-parachute systems.

(a) The main parachute must have been packed within 120 days 180 days before the date of its use of a certificated parachute rigger, the person making the next jump with that parachute, or a non-certificated person under the direct supervision of a certification parachute rigger.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Ok, ok, I did it. Thanks for you help guys. It took me forever because I was checking out every part, just like a newbie. I hope I remembered how to do everything right!

The worst part was my kitten thinking he needed to investigate every part that moved on this thing he'd never seen before. Here he is checking out his new toy when I left the room! :ph34r:

... I totally trust my rigger that he did everything he was supposed to do at the time of my inspection.

No offense intended, but I'm wondering how someone has eight years in the sport and is a moderator on dz.com and doesn't know the basics about her gear and the rigging rules.

-dp

No offense intended, but I'm wondering how someone has eight years in the sport and is a moderator on dz.com and doesn't know the basics about her gear and the rigging rules.

I'm not that smart, that's why they only let me moderate the fluffy forums. :P

:D:D:D:D:D
Btw i have jumped a main that was packed for about the same 6 mounths. Was a H&P and opening was just fine;)
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

That was a clever answer! Makes me think you are smarter than you let on....;);)
'To fly is heaven, to freefall is divine'

'You only need 2 tools. WD40 for when it doesn't move but should, and duct tape for when it moves but shouldn't'

:);)

After all that, I didn't get to jump today after all. The winds were gusting to 20 and after watching the canopies and some bad landings, I decided the conditions were not good enough for me. At least I'm ready now for another day!

The fluffy forums!:D

As a side note, I really feel strongly that a main should be removed during a repack as the ENTIRE system needs to be inspected.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

:);)

After all that, I didn't get to jump today after all. The winds were gusting to 20 and after watching the canopies and some bad landings, I decided the conditions were not good enough for me. At least I'm ready now for another day!

That right there proves you're smart;)

I have personally seen one of these "brick" mains. A guy brought his rig into our DZ that had been sitting in the closet for 4 months, and the main fell out of the container and we spent 15 minutes literally peeling it apart from itself, then hanging it up and then re-rigging it.

This is in no way to say that it would NOT have opened just fine with 120mph of airflow applied in the correct places, but having seen that myself, _I_ wouldn't want to jump something that had been packed stiff for that long.

I once jumped a seat pack that had been packed for 7 years. Opened just fine. That is not to say it was the smart thing to do. That is when I realized just how long the risers are on a seat pack. :P

Sparky

My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

first of all....

that's a BEautiful container.....:)

2nd... nothing at all wrong with doing a fresh pack job, especially if it's done without feeling rushed... ( as can sometimes be the case,,,, when we pack at the DZ,, in order to make a call...)

the fresh pack job, puts your mind at ease,,, as you go out the door.. and that is a GOOD thing.

jmy
ps.. i'm a big fan of the 'fluffy forums'...they are always entertaining and often educational...

You do not need to repack your main.

When I was on Johnston Atoll for Five years I would not get to Hawaii for six months, both mains worked just fine. B|

Both, eh?B|
- It's okay to be happy to see me. Just because you're English doesn't mean you need to hide your emotions.
- I'm Irish. We let people know how we feel. Now fuck off.