Bill_K

Would you jump this? Look at the pictures, then answer.

Risers are about 3 years old. Damage was found on Sunday. They have 308 jumps on them per my log book.

This is why it's important to do good gear checks!!

My choice was to ground them and get a new set. I ended up borrowing a set from a friend so that I could keep jumping until my new set arrives.

On that note Mirage rocks! They have taken good care of me with this whole thing. Gus and Jen are the bomb. :)

If you are referring to the minor fraying on the white loop, I would replace them eventually, but I would continue to jump them while waiting for the new ones to arrive.

Nothing structural about the wear and I don't see any functional impact from the wear.

Lesson to learn is don't drag your rig when packing.
John
Arizona Hiking Trails

If you are referring to the minor fraying on the white loop, I would replace them eventually, but I would continue to jump them while waiting for the new ones to arrive.

Nothing structural about the wear and I don't see any functional impact from the wear.

Lesson to learn is don't drag your rig when packing.

The pictures don't show it real well, but there is an actual nick in the white loop. If it were just fraying I'd have kept jumping it and just gotten a new set on order.

I do believe that it's caused by a burr or rough spot on the underside against the bearing where they are pressed together that caused it.

This is the second case like this that I've seen in the last year. The manufacturer didn't use the right grommet or didn't crimp it tightly enough. As a result, the grommet doesn't curve far enough around the washer to create a smoothly curved syrface. Instead, the sharp 90-degree angle at the end of the grommet is left to rub against the retaining loop. (That's on the back side of the riser, not visible in the photograph.)

I had the same problem on a set of UPT risers. They charged me full price for a replacement pair, one of which was so badly made that it wouldn't even mate with the rig. They replaced those, but I had to pay to ship the defective ones back, so definitely no kudos there.

This kind of damage is hard to see on a pre-jump inspection, since that area is underneath the riser. It's a good idea to check over this area occasionally while packing, and every time when doing the manufacturer-recommended riser maintenance every 30 days. Y'all do do the 30-day maintenance, right? ;)

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan

This is the second case like this that I've seen in the last year. The manufacturer didn't use the right grommet or didn't crimp it tightly enough. As a result, the grommet doesn't curve far enough around the washer to create a smoothly curved syrface. Instead, the sharp 90-degree angle at the end of the grommet is left to rub against the retaining loop. (That's on the back side of the riser, not visible in the photograph.)

I had the same problem on a set of UPT risers. They charged me full price for a replacement pair, one of which was so badly made that it wouldn't even mate with the rig. They replaced those, but I had to pay to ship the defective ones back, so definitely no kudos there.

This kind of damage is hard to see on a pre-jump inspection, since that area is underneath the riser. It's a good idea to check over this area occasionally while packing, and every time when doing the manufacturer-recommended riser maintenance every 30 days. Y'all do do the 30-day maintenance, right? ;)

So would you have jumped this Gary? Oh wait, I know the answer to that. ;) Thanks again for the help changing these out and the work you did on the loaner set of risers to get those ready. You rock!!

I do my inspections, but I fear that I need a reminder on what the actual maintenance is (though I think that I may be doing it). Do you mind giving me at the very least a reminder?

Oh and the manufacturer in this case did work with me and gave me fair discount on the replacement. They were really, really great to work with!!

Sure I'd jump it. I'd try to get a new set of risers. No hurry but I'd like to get a new set in the next 500 jumps or so.

Lee

Same here, lotta jumps on worse than that...but one thing i WOULD do -

- make sure the crunchy aftermath of bic lightering the fuzz gets scraped off...kinda makes the loop a bit stiff when it has to go through the grommet! :$:ph34r::P

OTOH...it does make ya pack with a little more care! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~