WrongWay

Question for the military men/women

i was 18 out of highschool for a while, the job working in a meat packing plant wasn't covering my community college costs, and working at UPS at nights was killing my grades, but the straw that broke this camels back was a girlfriend that told me she 'needed some space' at the time which I assumed meant, "we are over".... so that and the fact that the Military would pay for schooling later, I decided to choose the Army, basically cause my dad was in the Army.

btw, she didn't really want to break up w/ me and was quite suprised when I told her I was leaving in 2 weeks for boot camp at the time.... whoops!

The Army life was all I'd ever known growing up so it just seemed natural go join. I knew I wanted to go to college, and I absolutely didn't want to be locked down in West Point for 4 years so I put in for a ROTC scholarship. I attended a state school in Minnesota - the army didn't have to spend a whole lot on me as I networked my way through college.

I was always pretty mathematical and technical so I chose the Signal Corps and got what I asked for. I absolutely love the Army most of the time but then again I have a very high bullshit level and I'm an officer. I guess I see myself as comic relief for the troops. I try not to take myself too seriously while still demanding the best from myself and them too. It seems to work for me.B|

I plan on trying to stay in for the full 20 (I'd be half way there had I enlisted instead of going to college). I'm sitting at seven years in May.:)

Katie
Get your PMS glass necklace here

Army, 19. I had wanted to join the military since I was 12, and my DISMAL failure in college gave me just the excuse to jump in without pissing my parents off! :)
I went into communications. I was looking to get the hell outta dodge, get some self esteem, and get a husband.

I managed to do all three quite nicely, thank you very much. B|
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

I went into communications. I was looking to get the hell outta dodge, get some self esteem, and get a husband.

holy crap! first time I've heard that reason! Glad I didn't join the Corps looking for a wife! That would have been ROUGH.
Scars remind us that the past is real

holy crap! first time I've heard that reason! Glad I didn't join the Corps looking for a wife! That would have been ROUGH.

:D:D:D:D

No, good thing you didn't join the Army looking for a wife. A lot of the women in the army were looking for the same thing...um, a wife. :|
~Jaye

Drafted in the Army in 1969, at 20. My last name started with R so all the R's went to Artillery MOS. Again all the lastnames begining with R went to Vietnam, then 149 out of a battery of 150 went to Vietnam. Thirteen months there then discharge to inactive reserves.

No, good thing you didn't join the Army looking for a wife. A lot of the women in the army were looking for the same thing...um, a wife. :|

please tell me you're not being serious....
I know a lot of girls went to college with that in mind, but join the army???
Scars remind us that the past is real

please tell me you're not being serious....
I know a lot of girls went to college with that in mind, but join the army???

Buddy, you are missing the point here...:|

:S

I'll try, let's see...ME, I wanted to have a family, blah blah blah...but no that isn't THE MAIN reason I joined the military. I just wanted to serve my country mostly.

As for the other thing...

You said 'looking for a wife'...I said a lot of the WOMEN were 'looking for a wife'...do I need to clarify further? :P
~Jaye

I have a very high bullshit level and I'm an officer.

-- and an officer? WTF, that NEVER happens ;)

10 jobs in six months after being a natl merit punk flunking out of college ... met the only recruiter I ever talked to three days before birthday #22, had to sign up before the bday to max the benefits. Army had the best money for college. Got all patriotiic and shit after I was in a few years and seen other countries. Got out of the reserves when it was time to fish or cut bait with my civilian career. To do it over again I'd have joined up right out of high school, an easy answer. If you want to THEY PAY YOU TO JUMP OUT OF PLANES. :)

You can have it good, fast, or cheap: pick two.

It was something I had wanted to do since I was four; I don't know why really, I just wanted to. Growing up in North Dakota, I also can't explain why I chose the Navy, but again, it was just something I wanted.

Decided to go all out: went to Annapolis right out of high school when I was 17, got my commission last year after four less-than-fun-filled years (it was nice that the government paid for my education though), now I'm in flight school. I was originally planning on 20+ years, but we'll see how that goes. The pension would be nice though.

-Cass

Joined the ARNG when I was 18 a little under 1 1/2 years ago. Thought it would be sweet to have them pay for all my college. Now I'm also in ROTC which gives me even more money. I hate missing skydiving weekends to go to drill though. Sometimes I question why I joined. But once it's over I'll be glad I did it.

I joined right after high school. I knew I didn't want to go to college, but I did want to do something important, rather than just work some crappy job until I got my shit together.
I chose the Marines because 3 of my high school teachers were retired Marines (LtCol, SgtMaj, MGySgt) and I was impressed with the way they carried themselves (Staight Talk, No bullshit).
I lucked into a good deal aviation MOS, been at it for 10 years and I'll stay untill retirement.

It doesn't matter if a cat is black or white, as long as it catches mice.

I grew up in a strong military type family. My dad had just retired from the AF when I was born. He taught us a lot of respect for the military. Since he had three daughters (and no son's), I was the one most likely to not get kicked out of the service, so he started early to encourage a military future (Civil Air Patrol at 16, starting paperwork for ROTC scholarships....) Tried the academies (Navy wouldn't touch me with a history of a double skull fracture, and there was some serious service issues that my father had with the Army... so that left the AF) - got on the waiting list for the Air Force Academy, but was offered a full ride scholarship in ROTC at home.... took the bird in the hand and accepted the scholarship. Greatly appreciate the experience I had and would definately do it again.
Got out to go to medical school. Might go back in... depends on what they do with TriCare (try-to-care).
Currently, my stepson is stationed at my base.
(new day and age - sons go into the squadrons of their stepmothers):ph34r:

As a child watching the news reports of combat in Vietnam to a young adult hearing stories from vets, the military wasn't of real interest to me. But, war seemed like an adventure. Then one day I spoke to a Marine recruiter, GySgt, dual cool (jump & scuba).. Recon. Suddenly I wanted to hold a rifle and guard the line. That's where I eventually ended up, 2nd Recon. Fortunately, I spent 2 1/2 years overseas in 25 countries on 5 continents. I was very lucky. I got to live the adventure for 4 years, but never went to war. Shortly after leaving I was living on my own, working full-time and attending college full-time. The adventure was definitely over.

You're always the starter in your own life!

I was 19. A year out of high school and not really doing anything worthwhile and some occasionally really stupid shit. I picked the Air Force because I knew I would get treated the best. I stayed in for 10 years but finally got bored. Thanks to the AF I make kick ass money doing a kick ass job for DOD. Thank you USAF. B|

23, had finished college and was wandering the countryside.. college debt caught up with me, so i went home and started working again.. after about 2 weeks i recognized it wasnt going anywhere, and most of the people i was hanging out with were perfectly content to go nowhere and do nothing every night, and i needed a change... I was STILL getting mail from recruiters based on the ASVAB test i had taken in high school..:S Navy wanted me in the Nuclear sub program, but being 6'4" that wasnt a good idea at all...I was bored so i wandered into their office (all 4 branches were in the same building) and looked to see who had the best offer...

I picked Army, because they guaranteed me a flight slot that the AF couldnt, which pissed my father off a bit, (career AF) But my grandfather loved it.. (ret. Army) I was trying for flight Warrant at the time, but sort of got shafted (he actually lied about the availability which i got him busted for later) by the recruiter [:/] and went into a shortage MOS (that he got a bonus for filling>:() instead.. fortunately i discovered i really enjoyed the intel/imagery work and still got to fly so......

There is a long tradition of military service in my family.. (as of this date there is still a direct line of service in the US military for some 180ish years, longer if you count foreign military service) soo it wasnt a big change really..... there were things i had grown up with I was completely unaware were military related until i heard them in 'context'

Thanks everybody for the replies.

Basically here's where I stand. I have recently realized a need to be honest with myself about who am I and where I stand in my life. In doing so, I realized that I could go through the same routine I do every day for 10 years and I'd still be stuck in exactly the same situation I'm in today. The only thing stopping me from going out and doing something is the fact that I'm not making any effort to go out and do something. I lack discipline and drive, and the maturity to really go out and make it. I feel that the military will not only teach me those skills, but will also give me excellent career opportunities. Right now I'm not going anywhere, and I believe that this would be a great step forward for me.

So to cut the long story short, I've decided to check out the USAF. I'm meeting with a Recruiting Officer this Thursday to lay everything out on the table and find out what my options are.

If anyone has any opinions on branches or advice on right questions to ask, please feel free to throw them out here.

Oh, and while I'm at it, there is an issue that I'm not sure poses a problem or not. I have Tourettes Syndrome. It's not severe, and no I don't run around screaming profanities, that's only in the movies. I can control it, and at this point the only noticable aspect of it are slight visible tics (like squinting and stretching my neck out, mostly can be shrugged off as a stiff neck or something in my eye). I know that they are very strict when it comes to medical conditions, so my question is, will this pose a problem in my attempt to enlist if I choose to do so? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you all again.

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

I was 21 when i joined. I joined because i was working 3 jobs and had no free time anymore...I was doing Public relations work for a big cell company, working security at maple leaf gardens and in the navy reserves. Decided that i liked the idea of the navy more than the other 2 and went for it. The travel was a big plus, and i was always interested in The navy as a kid, i was always putting model warships together and reading history books on WW2. Just seemed like the right choice.

Steve
Therapy is expensive, popping bubble wrap is cheap.