Unstable

Humor Me - IN YOUR OWN WORDS...

....What does it mean to be 'Freefly Friendly?'.

E.g. "Man, I'm going to buy xxx rig because it's Freefly Friendly" or "I would Recommend a more Freefly Friendly Rig.."

I'm going somewhere with this. IN YOUR OWN WORDS what does that term mean?
=========Shaun ==========

In my own words? Well, I would think that freefly friendly means that regardless of my body position, there is nothing on my gear that is likely to come lose/open and/or initiate a premature deployment.
"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest" ~Samuel Clemens

MB#4300
Dudeist Skydiver #68

A rig whose covers (riser, pin) are designed so that airflow from any direction will not lead to them opening.

I'd buy that.

Also a rig that does not rely on velcro for this to happen.

Cool! I don't think I've seen velco on rigs for a while.... old V2's and old Racers.... On a Side note didn't the first Mirages Have velcro or am I making that up? that's not the point I'm going for, but It just got me thinking....

>Cool! I don't think I've seen velco on rigs for a while....

Well, most rigs still have some velcro on them, but by and large they are no longer used to keep riser covers and pin protectors closed. I would also add that velcro does actually work quite well to keep flaps closed and pins protected, but it must be replaced regularly and history has shown that skydivers are generally not willing to do this.

By far the most important facture in determining whether a rig is "Freefly Friendly" is how shiny it is. How much pollished stainless is there on the rig. How many unnessasary rings does it have. Color is also important. To be "Freefly Friendly" the rig must be built in loud colors. The preffrences in color vary but they must be bright and incorperate the newest exotic fabricks. Shiney and relective siver is always a good choise. White is also a popular option. Keeping in mind that if the rig becomes unexceptably stained it will no longer be safe to "Freefly" in and will have to be replaced. Black a former staple of the skydiveing industry is not "freefly Friendly" and you will NOT be cool with a solid black rig. The most important thing is it must match the rest of your gear. If it does not corordanate with your jumpsuit it is NOT "Freefly Friendly"! This raises the question of which comes first the jumpsuit design or the rig. It has become a chicken or the egg question. Ideally they should be designed togather as a corordonated package. With the rise of Origon as one of the leading "Freefly" jump suit manufacterers The suit has actualy taken presedence over the rig in the disign proccess. It is now easier to corordonate the containor with the jumpsuit then vice versa. The advent of "Freeflying" has been a God send to the gear manufacterers as it now requires any student graduating off AFF to imeadently buy new custom gear, jumpsuit, container, canopy, gearbag, etc. whitch to be "Freefly Friendly" must be totaly unique and custom with all posable new options and mods in order for them to skydive safely. Just remember It must be totaly custom and unique while at the same time being exactly like all of your friends following the latest trends at the drop zone so that you may follow the path of compleat freedom and createtivity which is "Freeflying". I hope I have explained the necasary requirements for a rig to "Freefly Friendly" so that you too can join the sport of compleat acceptance and freedom for otherwise none of your friends will jump with you.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com

Damn it Lee. :D

Okay. So here's my punchline. Saturday We were sitting around the DZ office talking about gear. What gear I am loyal to is irrelevant because I'm not wanting to get into 'which container is better' argument.

A jumper made the comment "Oh, you'd better not buy xxx brand, because it's not very freefly friendly and you should consider what you want to do in this sport..."

Now, I thought the comment was a bit silly, so I started a discussion. Come to find, that after 30 minutes or so of going nowhere, 7 people involved had 7 totally different definitions of what Freefly Friendly meant.

The issues of the rig are irrelevant. I just realized that the term has been thrown around by manufacturers so loosely that it really has no meaning? Would I go as far as RiggerLee -no - but I would go as far as to say that MOST Skydivers are throwing around a term that really has no meaning IMHO. It seemed that every jumper has some criteria for FFF that for some kooky reason, only THEIR rigs meet and thus everyone else is going to kill themselves.

Who knows? Maybe I'm getting caught up on the little stuff - but I just didn't understand..

By far the most important facture in determining whether a rig is "Freefly Friendly" is how shiny it is. How much pollished stainless is there on the rig. How many unnessasary rings does it have. Color is also important. To be "Freefly Friendly" the rig must be built in loud colors. The preffrences in color vary but they must be bright and incorperate the newest exotic fabricks. Shiney and relective siver is always a good choise. White is also a popular option. Keeping in mind that if the rig becomes unexceptably stained it will no longer be safe to "Freefly" in and will have to be replaced. Black a former staple of the skydiveing industry is not "freefly Friendly" and you will NOT be cool with a solid black rig. The most important thing is it must match the rest of your gear. If it does not corordanate with your jumpsuit it is NOT "Freefly Friendly"! This raises the question of which comes first the jumpsuit design or the rig. It has become a chicken or the egg question. Ideally they should be designed togather as a corordonated package. With the rise of Origon as one of the leading "Freefly" jump suit manufacterers The suit has actualy taken presedence over the rig in the disign proccess. It is now easier to corordonate the containor with the jumpsuit then vice versa. The advent of "Freeflying" has been a God send to the gear manufacterers as it now requires any student graduating off AFF to imeadently buy new custom gear, jumpsuit, container, canopy, gearbag, etc. whitch to be "Freefly Friendly" must be totaly unique and custom with all posable new options and mods in order for them to skydive safely. Just remember It must be totaly custom and unique while at the same time being exactly like all of your friends following the latest trends at the drop zone so that you may follow the path of compleat freedom and createtivity which is "Freeflying". I hope I have explained the necasary requirements for a rig to "Freefly Friendly" so that you too can join the sport of compleat acceptance and freedom for otherwise none of your friends will jump with you.

Lee

Best answer ever! :D:D:D:D:D
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return." - Da Vinci
www.lilchief.no

Also a rig that does not rely on velcro for this to happen.

Cool. Thats your obinion. I disagree. but I do agree with most of you in saying freefly friendly is where your shit doesn't come apart in freefall regardless of body position and speed (within reason).

Velcro though can maintain its "freefly friendliness" if its kept in somewhat decent shape. Velcro is strong in many applications.
Na' Cho' Cheese

>Velcro though can maintain its "freefly friendliness" if its kept in
>somewhat decent shape. Velcro is strong in many applications.

I agree! Unfortunately, it has been my experience that most skydivers do not keep it in somewhat decent shape.