Buffdiver

PD Pulse

Just saw the newest addition to PD's lineup. The Pulse!

"The Pulse is a lightly elliptical nine cell canopy designed for the active intermediate to experienced "fun jumper." Pack volume has been reduced significantly, by combining our proprietary low bulk fabric technology with our well-known zero-p fabric. The Pulse can give you stress free on heading openings, a very flat glide and easy landings. It is highly responsive, very capable, and lots of fun to fly."

Is this the new Sabre2/Silhouette hybrid?? I am curious to the opening/handling characteristics compared to other PD lineup. PD now has 11 main canopies to offer the public. I was just curious to where the Pulse fit in.

So how about it - have anybody tried the Pulse ? How is it compared to ie. a Sabre2 ?

Sure, Ask the PD test pilots;).

Sorry I thought someone might have had a chance to demo it - I'm trying to decide between a Pulse 170 and a Storm 170 to replace my Sabre 170 (my back cant take the abuse from the openings anymore :S)

So how about it - have anybody tried the Pulse ? How is it compared to ie. a Sabre2 ?

Sure, Ask the PD test pilots;).

Sorry I thought someone might have had a chance to demo it - I'm trying to decide between a Pulse 170 and a Storm 170 to replace my Sabre 170 (my back cant take the abuse from the openings anymore :S)

I thought Pulse was designed to have a little quicker openings than others. So if you're worried about your back Storm might be a wiser choice. (Again, not many people have jumped it so far, so I'm just going by what I've heared about it). It would probably be good for a bigway jumper that doesn't have the altitude to watch the canopy snivel for a few hundred feet at the end of the track

Sorry I thought someone might have had a chance to demo it - I'm trying to decide between a Pulse 170 and a Storm 170 to replace my Sabre 170 (my back cant take the abuse from the openings anymore Crazy)

Than demo it. BTW flipping a coin is almost as efficient than reading others review.

I like the way they seem to have put a lot of effort on something opens on heading. I love my sabre2 but when it opens perfectly on heading I buy a lotto ticket. I'm anxious for a boogie in the spring where I could demo one.

-Michael

Amen brother. When my sabre2 opens on heading, i almost think somethings wrong! I look up, say huh! and smile.
I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

In Reply To
I like the way they seem to have put a lot of effort on something opens on heading. I love my sabre2 but when it opens perfectly on heading I buy a lotto ticket. I'm anxious for a boogie in the spring where I could demo one.

-Michael

Amen brother. When my sabre2 opens on heading, i almost think somethings wrong! I look up, say huh! and smile.

+1
I'm behind the bar at Sloppy Joe's....See ya in the Keys!

Muff 4313

so it is a hybrid with zp top skin and the low bulk reserve material everywhere else?

edit - I just read the "note on repairs's" section. seems the bottom skin and ribs are the low bulk reserve material. I always thought that there should be more hybrid canopies. I would like to try out a jvx with sail top skin with the same low bulk material everywhere else - would make packing mine much easier...

My Sabre2 opens on heading 9/10 jumps. As soon as it's inflating I grab the risers and steer it if needed. Keeps it perfectly on heading.

Don't let your canopy fly you, fly your canopy.

Thats way its a canopy needs babysitting. Fly your openings and leave rear risers alone!

My Sabre2 opens on heading 9/10 jumps. As soon as it's inflating I grab the risers and steer it if needed. Keeps it perfectly on heading.

Contrast that with what you see in the PD video. Poof opens on heading every time. When you have to grab the risers and steer it through the opening I don't consider that an on-heading opening.

-Michael

so it is a hybrid with zp top skin and the low bulk reserve material everywhere else?

edit - I just read the "note on repairs's" section. seems the bottom skin and ribs are the low bulk reserve material. I always thought that there should be more hybrid canopies. I would like to try out a jvx with sail top skin with the same low bulk material everywhere else - would make packing mine much easier...

Yes, at PIA I touched it and saw it. Ribs and bottom skin are the Optimum like - low bulk - material, in white fabric only. The top skin can be any color using the standard PD ZP. When I touched it, it felt just like the optimum fabric, thin and soft... No crunchy slippery shinny brand new ZP feel.

The canopy seems ideal for the average fun jumper who does not want a long diving swoop.

Imagine this... A new jumper gets a new rig. They pack a Pulse in it as their "First canopy"... It can pack 2 sizes smaller than it's published size. So, those who originally had 2-3 sizes of "wiggle room" in their main container now have 5 or so sizes if they downsize from a pulse to a Katana or Sabre 2.

Further, the Pulse might be a good canopy for someone with less jumps as it promises a quick recovery and consistent openings.

Thus - buy a container for a pulse loaded 1 to 1 rather tight... You probably could downsize all the way to 1.8 wingloading on a ZP Katana in the next 2000 jumps or so... It might mean one container could last a skydiver's career, unless they really downsize a lot!

Thus - buy a container for a pulse loaded 1 to 1 rather tight... You probably could downsize all the way to 1.8 wingloading on a ZP Katana in the next 2000 jumps or so... It might mean one container could last a skydiver's career, unless they really downsize a lot!

I posted this before, but my concern with low pack volume mains is that, given container sizes that are available now from most manufacturers, a new jumper might be tempted to buy a reserve a couple sizes small in order to get the tiny container that will last his whole skydiving career. An optimum might be a good choice, but they also cost a lot more than many other reserves out there.

If a Pulse 170 packs 2 sizes smaller, it would fit in a container made for a 135. A cheap used container might fit a 135 main and 120 reserve. I own one. Might be a tempting purchase for a first rig, since it'll hold everything from a 170 main to a 120 or smaller.

Dave

An optimum might be a good choice, but they also cost a lot more than many other reserves out there.

Someone who is going to buy a new container that will last 5 sizes of mains can afford the $200 or $300 more an optimum costs. Plus, it flies better than almost every other reserve, making it worth the money.

I love the optimum. I wanted one as a main when I demoed it. But someone buying a used container might not be looking to buy a new reserve. I'm not selling it, but my pink Reflex with a microraven 120 would sell for close to nothing. Perfect for someone spending a premium on a brand new main.

Dave

While I agree, I hope no instructor will recommend such sizes in a rig to a new jumper. In fact it's been well studied and reported that a main and reserve of vastly different sizes do not behave well together anyway. So I can't say I'd recommend an optimum 120 with a 170 main to anyone - experienced or not.

One nice thing I see from the Optimum being offered in larger sizes is that it could allow some reserves to be upsized.

-Michael

PilotDave is not talking about a "good practice" or recommendations. Life and recommendations are two different things and that what he was talking about, a situation in real life where people will tend to squeeze the smallest mains as possible (as they jump them everyday) with keeping the same (original) reserves (as they might not jump them at all) in the second-hand rigs. I see logic in it. A second -hand rig from definition is for someone who wants to save money, not buy the most expensive stuff and put into the used container.
More than likely that situation can take place for the first initial 3/4 years before there is enough second-hand optimas to buy in reasonable price and replace the normal (smaller size) reserve.
regs
Janusz
Back to Poland... back home.